5 replies to this topic

#1 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,526 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 January 2017 - 07:43 AM

I didnt believe they r this good and since sweet potatoes are sweet you dont need sugar or as much :) and them being mashed for this the fat content can be cut too ....I make them into a gingerbread cookie and they turn out like little cake cookies ;) yum yum :) the gingerbread seasoning turns out really well with the sweet potato taste :)

I havent made up a recipe yet cause I just go with how much sweet potaato I have I use one small baked sweet potato cooled mash it up in a bowl.....add 1 egg.....bit of oil (this makes them more like cake less hard cookie (hard cookie hard fat )).........mollassas ......I add a table spoon or two of sugar......1 inch peice of ginger freshly grated.....cinnamon.....pie spice......mix that all up

I use gluten free flour for these cookies I use 3 - 4 tablespoons brown rice flour .......and 1 tablespoon of arrowroot starch this ratio flour vs starch works good ....then I add 1/2 - 1 teaspoon baking pwd.....same ammount of xanthium gum...mix this up........add to wet ingredents ....it will be wet still so add 3 tablespoons rice flour to 1 table spoon arrowroot starch till you can roll it up....... you do not need to add more baking pwd or xanthium gum...... just add flour till you can work it like cookie dough......cook 350 for 10mins or so they do cook quick you need to check the bottom the top usually dosnt change much and you can burn the bottoms quick ;)

I was thinking about making cookies from the sun chokepotatoes :) might be the best use so far :)

Edited by wildedibles, 26 January 2017 - 07:45 AM.

• Juthro, Heirloom and GrumpyGnome like this

#2 mjroom

mjroom

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 793 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 January 2017 - 09:20 AM

if you want a more moist chewy cake like texture/consistency just add some rolled oats, say a couple of tablespoons, you will not be able to find one in there they simply disappear. The oats are good for you they add a nice flavor and body to what ever you make. rolled oats are the secret ingredient in German chocolate cake that the nice old lady leaves out of the recipe that she gives out just to insure her cake is always the best. mjroom.

• wildedibles, Heirloom and GrumpyGnome like this

#3 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,526 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 January 2017 - 06:01 PM

if you want a more moist chewy cake like texture/consistency just add some rolled oats, say a couple of tablespoons, you will not be able to find one in there they simply disappear. The oats are good for you they add a nice flavor and body to what ever you make. rolled oats are the secret ingredient in German chocolate cake that the nice old lady leaves out of the recipe that she gives out just to insure her cake is always the best. mjroom.

I agree oats hold water too so ya they make everything more moist ....I was thinking about adding oats this time and I was wondering if someone would mention it :) so thank you .....I didnt have enough gluten free oats this time Ive been using it to make oatmeat cereal oh how I have missed a good old bowl of hot oatmeal ;)
  • Heirloom likes this

#4 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,631 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 January 2017 - 06:09 PM

These sound great , I am going to have to make some and I bet they would be awesome with canna - oil

• wildedibles likes this

#5 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,526 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 January 2017 - 06:31 PM

:) Yes the flavors go very well together I made gingerbread canna cookies before they just didnt have the sweet potato in them tasted very good.....you canot even taste the sweet potato in them really but it being sweet potato they could be a diabetic cookie by using no sugar just the sweet potato for the sweetness and the sugar in sweet potatoe have a sugar that isnt broken down like other sugars they are better than reg potaotoes for that reason........and same reason why I wanna use the sun choke potatoes the sugar in these is more of a fiber .....

#6 fungi2bwith

fungi2bwith

cat-monkey

• OG VIP
  • 1,572 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 January 2017 - 08:06 PM

when I was head of a kitchen at a restaraunt, we had sweet potato's(well, yams that is, sweet potato's aren't orange) that we served every night....We had an over abundance of baked sweet potato's that were just going to waste....Well, biscuits are fairly cheap to make, and so I started making sweet potato biscuits every night from scratch, and gave them out to every table with cinnamon and honey whipped butter.....mmm mmm....needless to say, everyone loved them, and brought in slightly more business.....

Your cookies sound great.

Edited by fungi2bwith, 26 January 2017 - 08:15 PM.

• Juthro likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!