Seeking Lost Horizons

• OG VIP
  • 1,357 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 January 2017 - 10:59 AM

Turmeric Latte

1 1/2 cups of soy, hemp, coconut milk, almond milk or mixture

1 tsp of Turmeric powder or paste made from fresh turmeric (you can grow it in a green house)

1/2 tsp of ginger powder

1/2 tsp of cinnamon

2 shakes of black pepper

1/2 tsp of matcha tea powder (optional)

1/2 tsp of instant coffee

1/4 tsp of vanilla

Mix all dry ingredients into milk and microwave.  I make up the dry ingredients ahead of time and add to taste @ 1tbs for me.  Sweetner is optional but unnecessary due to cinnamon.

Attached Thumbnails

• Turmeric Latte.jpg

• Myc, Coopdog, Stoned Angel and 6 others like this

#2 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,762 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 January 2017 - 01:36 PM

All sounds delicious right up to the microwave part! I have been trying hard to get away from microwaving anything whatsoever. I bet it is pretty spicy with that much Turmeric!

I saw a year or so ago a short internet story about a girl who did a science experiment where she watered two similar plants, one with water that had been microwaved and let to cool and one with straight tap water. The one watered with microwaved water died in short order. Didn't give that much thought but then seen a story that was done by a major college, can't remember what one that said the same thing. That stuck in my subconscious and I have been trying my best not to microwave anything since. Of course I still occasionally have to heat my lunch or whatever, but I have been consciously trying not to bring things that have to be re-heated and even often eat the food cold rather than use one. Might just be my paranoid mind but I have also seen studies that say microwaves rob the nutrition of any food cooked in one and can even convert healthy compounds in veggies into cancerous things.

I am going to try your mix, I will just heat it in a pan. I want to try Turmeric for it's alleged pain relief properties as I have been dealing with some serious inflammation and joint pain lately. It will be a few days before I get the ingredients but I will report back when I do. Man it sounds good! I will probably double up on the coffee too as I like my coffee strong as hell. Peace man and thanks for the recipe!

• Myc, Stoned Angel, Amanita Versicula and 1 other like this

#3 Seeker2be

Seeker2be

Seeking Lost Horizons

• OG VIP
  • 1,357 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 January 2017 - 02:08 PM

You are welcome Coop.  I drink it everyday and it is wonderful even with no sweetener.

• Coopdog, Heirloom and Jeepster like this

#4 Jeepster

Jeepster

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 365 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 January 2017 - 02:30 PM

Quite enjoyable!!!
  • Seeker2be likes this

#5 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,631 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 January 2017 - 01:09 AM

Thanks seeker, this sounds good. I take turmeric everyday and about to put a little on some black beans ,chili's , red onion and hemp seeds.

I'll need to get some ginger

I was just thinking about the book you recommended and the topic you started just before I saw this, How Not To Die.

#6 MrBiscuits

MrBiscuits

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 99 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 10:06 AM

There is also a very similar drink, with popular name "Golden Milk".

A bit of useful information regarding turmeric (curcumin):

- Your liver has a tendency to try to get rid of it. When taken with black pepper (peppercorn), an active compound called piperine inhibits the water solubility of curcumin, thus inhibiting your liver's ability to get rid of it. Reports have shown that with the addition of even very small amounts of peppercorn, the bioavailability of curcumin has gone up by 2000%.

- With the addition of a fat, curcumin is absorbed directly to the bloodstream through your lymphatic system, thus, largely bypassing the liver. There's a lot of controversy as to whether or not animal fats negate benefits, so, best to keep it to a vegetable fat - coconut, oil or full-fat milk, is my personal favorite as far as vegetable fats go. My partner in crime is a doctor of functional nutrition. She insists the widespread belief that animal fats are bad for you is absolutely absurd, if sourced well. So, I tend to do mine with raw milk, as I'm in a state that still allows the production. If you can find pastured, grass-fed, whole cow milk, I think it would be absolutely fine.

I simmer mine on a low heat for 20 minutes, constantly stirring to keep the curdles at bay. If taking for health benefits, I would probably avoid tea and coffee, as caffeine inhibits absorption once in the bloodstream. Though, that sounds absolutely delicious.

• Myc, Heirloom and Neptunechild like this

#7 Seeker2be

Seeker2be

Seeking Lost Horizons

• OG VIP
  • 1,357 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 February 2017 - 11:01 AM

Excellent contribution.  Appreciated.  Note the pepper in the recipe above.

• Heirloom and psilyguy808 like this

#8 MrBiscuits

MrBiscuits

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 99 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 11:25 AM

Noted!

Did not intend to suggest you'd left something out, just wanted to elaborate on the importance of the peppercorn in case anyone was thinking of opting out of the addition. :smile:

I'd note myself as an amateur street skateboarder with mild Lyme-induced arthritis. The improvement I felt after a short time of taking just a cup of this on an almost daily basis was awe-inspiring.

• Seeker2be and Heirloom like this

#9 Neptunechild

Neptunechild

Cactus Wizard

• OG VIP
  • 688 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 February 2017 - 12:16 PM

Golden Milk! Enjoy it a lot with mushrooms, or without :) !

• Heirloom likes this

#10 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,631 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 February 2017 - 03:16 PM

I have learned more about staying healthy from Mycotopia than all the Doctors have told me in 57 years of Life.

These spices and natural medicines are healthy, safer and more cost effective than their lab made chemicals. They are food for body , mind and spirit.

I have learned so much here that I wish Mycotopia had been around 40 or more years ago to teach and be a place where people can
gather to commune with Life together .

• Myc, Coopdog, Seeker2be and 1 other like this

#11 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 14,062 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 February 2017 - 03:24 PM

One thing to keep in mind when using anything as an anti-inflammatory, inflammation is also a symptom of our bodies healing processes.   So, not every symptom is to be opposed, every time.   If it's swollen and hurting, maybe that isn't the worst case scenario.  I have made friends with much of my pain.   I learned that pain and suffering are two very different things.

• Coopdog, Arathu, Heirloom and 1 other like this

#12 MrBiscuits

MrBiscuits

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 99 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 03:26 PM

It really is an amazing resource. I'm not an expert mushroom farmer yet, but I'm confident that all of the resources and more are available here at no tuition cost.

I just hope that some of the information I can offer makes some amount of reparation for my years of selfishly suckling at the teat of all the brains at work here.

And, ultimately, I hope that some of it might help heal people in one way or another. I'm fairly confident that western medicine has absolutely noting to do with healing. Just patching holes and screwing bones together (cause that makes sense...)

• Coopdog likes this

#13 MrBiscuits

MrBiscuits

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 99 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 03:44 PM

One thing to keep in mind when using anything as an anti-inflammatory, inflammation is also a symptom of our bodies healing processes.   So, not every symptom is to be opposed, every time.   If it's swollen and hurting, maybe that isn't the worst case scenario.  I have made friends with much of my pain.   I learned that pain and suffering are two very different things.

Absolutely!

You should certainly understand the symptomatology of why you are experiencing inflammation before reducing it.

However, it's my understanding that curcumin hasn't been clinically proven to actually reduce inflammation, rather, it promotes blood flow to tissues, which makes your inflammatory response more effective. I add cayenne to my golden milk, as well, for this reason. I think arnica would probably be more along the lines of a counterproductive anti-inflammatory in relation to acute physical injuries and arthritis, contrary to it's primary intended use. And using ice is just asking for permanent damage.

• Myc, Coopdog and Alder Logs like this

#14 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,631 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 February 2017 - 03:51 PM

Very well put Alder. A splinter will cause inflammation as our bodies fight the bacteria the splinter carriers, expelling the splinter.

I am grateful for your contribution MrBiscuits, I looked into pepper further and have though of several ways I might use that knowledge for my benefit, including getting a better high.

Many thanks to seeker for so many reasons.

We live in a great pharmacy , we learn from our elders though direct teaching , the teaching they taught others and the writings that exist.

out of likes but  I like what's been posted, if only I can remember all I learn.

Edited by Heirloom Spores, 09 February 2017 - 03:55 PM.

• Coopdog, Juthro and Seeker2be like this

#15 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 14,062 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 February 2017 - 03:58 PM

I put raw turmeric, ginger, beet, carrot, and burdock root into my daily veggie juice.  It never occurred to me to put in a pinch of pepper, like I do with taking my two morning high curcumin tablets. 

• Coopdog likes this

#16 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,544 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 February 2017 - 04:56 PM

Recently my lower back has been bothering me...................sciatic kinda mess with goofy shit happening to my hips, legs, and feet. I'm headed into my latter years I'm sure of it (if not already part of the way down the curve so to speak)....Bodies wear out and fall like leaves in their time.....................Turns out I needed to increase the amount of water I was drinking and change to work boots with a different sole style..........BTW rocks get old......humans bodies don't make it there........

Old English Rune Poem

NEED Rune

Trouble is oppressive to the heart; yet often it proves a source of help and salvation
to the children of men, to everyone who heeds it betimes      

Cool recipes......I've been wanting to try tumeric....thanks

A  

Edited by Arathu, 09 February 2017 - 04:58 PM.

#17 Seeker2be

Seeker2be

Seeking Lost Horizons

• OG VIP
  • 1,357 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 February 2017 - 05:24 PM

Mango Ginger Turmeric Smoothie

3/4 cups mango (cubes, fresh or frozen)

1/4 cups oats

1/4 cups nonfat plain greek yogurt

1/2 inches ginger (piece of)

1/2 teaspoons ground turmeric

3/4 cups milk (choice, I used unsweetened vanilla almond milk)

ice cubes (

2 shakes of pepper

We also have turmeric on our fried eggs with pepper too.   It’s about incorporating healthly things into our lives!!!! Still learning and changing….

• Heirloom likes this

#18 MrBiscuits

MrBiscuits

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 99 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 05:34 PM

Lots of good stuff here.

Water...oooh, water! I think it was in my teens that, under the influence of hallucinogens, I fully gained my appreciation for it. Having had been drinking basically nothing but juices and store-bought high fructose corn syrup green tea, my body cried out. I'm glad it happened young. In fact, I have hallucinogens to thank for almost all of my healthful practices and philosophies that I've maintained.

Arathu, how are you with stretching? Not advanced yoga or anything to that extent. But simple linear stretching? Hands to toes and the like. Also something I can't possibly advocate enough. There's no level of immobility that restrains one from it, and no level of advancement that restrains it from one.

I'd also recommend either a supplement with Hyaluronic acid, or to make bone broths. 

I think I'll do a write-up on bone broth and post it here, as well...while we're on this healthy joint kick! The basic idea is to take any kind of animal carcass or parts thereof and crock pot it for at least 48 hours, strain, and drink the resulting soup.

You'll also get things like collagen, MSM, and other beneficial organic compounds found in connective tissues and the like, that, no surprise, do wonders for your connective tissues and the like.

Sorry if you, or anyone here, is a vegetarian and just threw up in their mouth a little bit. These things are also available in many plant sources, just not in nearly as high of concentrations nor with nearly as much bioavailability.

And, finally, sorry Seeker! Didn't mean to derail this wonderful recipe with my unending verbosity. Just figured I would shed a little more light while eyes were peeled.

• Coopdog, Arathu, Seeker2be and 1 other like this

#19 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,544 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 February 2017 - 05:45 PM

I'm an old carnivore that grew up and still lives in (although it's no longer active the residue of it is not going away any time soon) heavy industrial area. I'm sure my immune system has worked overtime to keep my goofy behind alive.....I am grateful. 

Stretching I really have no set pattern at all. I just try to gently move my parts (as many as I can sequentially) as far through their ranges of motion as possible........I do however certainly feel the wearing down of things.........

Still you guys/gals are keeping me exploring new reaction to new states of being............spring water, and I mean good spring water, is on my radar this year. (I live less than hour from the mountains) I'll find a holy spring........

Great info folks! I do appreciate it........as a side note I'm a swing shift worker.............my cycles get all screwed up in this lovely industrialized 24/7 society of greatness................... :rolleyes:

A

Edited by Arathu, 09 February 2017 - 05:51 PM.

• Coopdog and dankcontraption like this

#20 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 14,062 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 February 2017 - 05:51 PM

...Hyaluronic acid...

Dang it, they want a lot for the supplement. 

I eat mostly veggie.  I eat some canned organic chicken and rice soup and a little salmon now and then.  That, and four poached eggs a day are what keep me from being a total vegan.  No fried foods, no dairy.  

Edited by Alder Logs, 09 February 2017 - 05:53 PM.

• Coopdog and Heirloom like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!