6 replies to this topic

#1 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 3,403 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 January 2017 - 05:02 AM

The only things that go into this garden come from my compost heap.

This is how I do it every year..I bring a few heaping wheelbarrows (for now) up and spread them over the plots.....and I just start planting all over the place.

I'm telling you this yard bullshit is going away........

small_GEDC3694.jpg   small_GEDC3702.jpg

I use the food grade blue barrels for my tomatoes

small_GEDC3720.jpg   small_GEDC3741.jpg

....and peppers of all kinds

small_GEDC3728.jpg   small_GEDC3739.jpg

I really do just "feel" my way through it.....ask the seedlings...."where do you want to grow?"

small_GEDC3747.jpg

Cukes run small trellis and I just keep on planting them

small_GEDC3753.jpg

eggplant, cabbage, tomatoes, peppers, lettuce, carrots, beans, broccoli, the list just grows and grows, there's pots and plots everywhere

small_GEDC3803.jpg

......tomato candies........

.....and I have so much plantain, dandelion, and other herbs that one might think cunning folk were to be found........

Each year there is some combination of this gardening activity that gets moved about and changed up (rotation style) and all of it growing as organically as is possible today....

I plant like I want to eat and make fresh air..........all of the soil comes from the heap and goes back to the heap.

Mine is like 5 feet tall, 10 wide, and 15 feet long.....I compost at one end and use soil from the other and I don't run out.

Natural abundance...........

• Myc, PsyBearknot and wildedibles like this

#2 llamabox

llamabox

Researcher

• OG VIP
  • 1,393 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 January 2017 - 08:28 AM

Do you do any "chop and drop" green composting? Anyways. Looking great. I remember seeing green things.
  • Arathu and wildedibles like this

#3 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 3,403 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 January 2017 - 04:05 PM

Absolutely llama......when I weed I mulch and whatever is left over, if any, goes straight to the compost heap.

Man I miss the sun and green things................... :mellow:

A

• wildedibles likes this

#4 llamabox

llamabox

Researcher

• OG VIP
  • 1,393 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 January 2017 - 08:42 PM

Oh I'm 7600ft in a high desert valley. Just sage brush and tumbleweeds out here. I have to go somewhere to see trees and grass. Wally world, fast-food a hospital, those things are 45min to an hr away.
  • wildedibles and Juthro like this

#5 Myc

Myc

Myc - o 'Topia

• App Administrator
  • 5,008 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 January 2017 - 12:31 PM

I'm telling you this yard bullshit is going away........

Amen.

It would not surprise me to find that the golf-green lawn - was inspired by the chemical fertilizer industry. 

Just like diamonds have no value as gemstones. They're completely worthless except as industrial tools. 

Or the make-up industry teaching beautiful women to goop their faces with dead animal and dead plant residues. 

A lawn has utterly no value to the urban caveman unless you can graze from it. 

That being said, a "lawn" planted with materials we can eat or share is a much better use of resources. This is the same idea as the victory gardens of wwII.

I like the idea since it makes part of the water utility bill offset the grocery budget. 

I also like the way you are going about the task. Don't rip out something living unless you have a replacement for it. I'm right there with you flying by the seat of my pants. 

• wildedibles likes this

#6 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 6,942 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 January 2017 - 07:44 PM

more and more of my lawn is replaced every year :) I never water it and there is more weeds in there than grass....but sometimes I get the letter saying "clean up the weeds in the yard they are a hazard atracting wild life .....;) ....I need to relocate some oak trees (there is 50 growing in one spot) my neighbour said I can have them plant them where they will grow instead of being well cut down in the future by the scary lawn mower lol ....anyway I am planting a few out at my street side of my lawn making my garden out there bigger this summer I cannot wait :) there was nthing there before well grass now there is many berry trees and wild herbals ...garden herbals ...and more food this summer the lettuce stayed alive covered into Dec this year I was happy with that garden nibble :)

#7 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 6,942 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 January 2017 - 07:47 PM

Oh I'm 7600ft in a high desert valley. Just sage brush and tumbleweeds out here. I have to go somewhere to see trees and grass. Wally world, fast-food a hospital, those things are 45min to an hr away.

could you reclaim the land by planting succlents and cacti?? ....the closest I get to a desert is when the rest of my grass turns brown come midle sumer and its hot 2 weeks or so no rain .....wilde throws snowball :) Im good at that

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!