16 replies to this topic

#1 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 3,829 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 January 2017 - 05:02 AM

The only things that go into this garden come from my compost heap.

This is how I do it every year..I bring a few heaping wheelbarrows (for now) up and spread them over the plots.....and I just start planting all over the place.

I'm telling you this yard bullshit is going away........

small_GEDC3694.jpg   small_GEDC3702.jpg

I use the food grade blue barrels for my tomatoes

small_GEDC3720.jpg   small_GEDC3741.jpg

....and peppers of all kinds

small_GEDC3728.jpg   small_GEDC3739.jpg

I really do just "feel" my way through it.....ask the seedlings...."where do you want to grow?"

small_GEDC3747.jpg

Cukes run small trellis and I just keep on planting them

small_GEDC3753.jpg

eggplant, cabbage, tomatoes, peppers, lettuce, carrots, beans, broccoli, the list just grows and grows, there's pots and plots everywhere

small_GEDC3803.jpg

......tomato candies........

.....and I have so much plantain, dandelion, and other herbs that one might think cunning folk were to be found........

Each year there is some combination of this gardening activity that gets moved about and changed up (rotation style) and all of it growing as organically as is possible today....

I plant like I want to eat and make fresh air..........all of the soil comes from the heap and goes back to the heap.

Mine is like 5 feet tall, 10 wide, and 15 feet long.....I compost at one end and use soil from the other and I don't run out.

Natural abundance...........

• Myc, PsyBearknot, wildedibles and 1 other like this

#2 llamabox

llamabox

Researcher

• OG VIP
  • 1,393 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 January 2017 - 08:28 AM

Do you do any "chop and drop" green composting? Anyways. Looking great. I remember seeing green things.
  • Arathu and wildedibles like this

#3 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 3,829 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 January 2017 - 04:05 PM

Absolutely llama......when I weed I mulch and whatever is left over, if any, goes straight to the compost heap.

Man I miss the sun and green things................... :mellow:

A

• wildedibles likes this

#4 llamabox

llamabox

Researcher

• OG VIP
  • 1,393 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 January 2017 - 08:42 PM

Oh I'm 7600ft in a high desert valley. Just sage brush and tumbleweeds out here. I have to go somewhere to see trees and grass. Wally world, fast-food a hospital, those things are 45min to an hr away.
  • wildedibles and Juthro like this

#5 Myc

Myc

Myc - o 'Topia

• App Administrator
  • 5,087 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 January 2017 - 12:31 PM

I'm telling you this yard bullshit is going away........

Amen.

It would not surprise me to find that the golf-green lawn - was inspired by the chemical fertilizer industry. 

Just like diamonds have no value as gemstones. They're completely worthless except as industrial tools. 

Or the make-up industry teaching beautiful women to goop their faces with dead animal and dead plant residues. 

A lawn has utterly no value to the urban caveman unless you can graze from it. 

That being said, a "lawn" planted with materials we can eat or share is a much better use of resources. This is the same idea as the victory gardens of wwII.

I like the idea since it makes part of the water utility bill offset the grocery budget. 

I also like the way you are going about the task. Don't rip out something living unless you have a replacement for it. I'm right there with you flying by the seat of my pants. 

• Arathu, ChimX, wildedibles and 2 others like this

#6 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,048 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 January 2017 - 07:44 PM

more and more of my lawn is replaced every year :) I never water it and there is more weeds in there than grass....but sometimes I get the letter saying "clean up the weeds in the yard they are a hazard atracting wild life .....;) ....I need to relocate some oak trees (there is 50 growing in one spot) my neighbour said I can have them plant them where they will grow instead of being well cut down in the future by the scary lawn mower lol ....anyway I am planting a few out at my street side of my lawn making my garden out there bigger this summer I cannot wait :) there was nthing there before well grass now there is many berry trees and wild herbals ...garden herbals ...and more food this summer the lettuce stayed alive covered into Dec this year I was happy with that garden nibble :)
  • ChimX likes this

#7 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,048 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 January 2017 - 07:47 PM

Oh I'm 7600ft in a high desert valley. Just sage brush and tumbleweeds out here. I have to go somewhere to see trees and grass. Wally world, fast-food a hospital, those things are 45min to an hr away.

could you reclaim the land by planting succlents and cacti?? ....the closest I get to a desert is when the rest of my grass turns brown come midle sumer and its hot 2 weeks or so no rain .....wilde throws snowball :) Im good at that

#8 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 3,829 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 April 2017 - 07:54 PM

Man I spent several hours today after mowing with bare feet in the dirt. I tilled my pea and bean patch with my boots on so I didn't leave any toes in there for fertilizer, but then raking and some other fiddling with bare feets.

Getting grounded and a good earth charge going I feel really good today..............

I have three afternoon shifts to do and then off for the long weekend...........

It's time. I need to go up and rent a power tiller for the new beds I'll be cutting in this year......I'm telling you I'm going epic! :biggrin:

I want to produce, so much produce, hah, that I run out of space in my belly, the canning shelves, and the freezer so I'll have to give a bunch away.........

What better way to start the tribes than feed each other?  

I know I'm going to sleep well now too..........everybody needs to GROW!

A

• ChimX, wildedibles, Juthro and 1 other like this

#9 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 122 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 08:05 PM

I can't wait to garden again. It's been a few years since I've had place or space too. I'm with you on grassy spaces kind of pointless, unless something needs to eat it. One garden, the world kind of goes away, very grounding. No pun intended.

#10 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 3,829 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 April 2017 - 04:18 PM

Spent most of today creating some new beds and bringing wheelbarrow loads of fresh new soil up from the compost heap...........

So as I said, the amount of yard to mow is steadily decreasing while the vegetable producing square footage is steadily increasing..............

My plan is unfolding........mwhahahahahaha................... :biggrin:

My back is tired (I'm not young any more), arms and legs are fatigued but feel good, and the best part of it...........my blood pressure is WAY DOWN...........

I know what I'm supposed to be doing...............MAKING DIRT..............

Dirtmaker999.jpg

My soil......it smells like mushrooms......BIG TIME......... :meditate:

Soon there will be fresh vegetables and canning will begin......

Raspberries and Black Berries are throwing shoots, lots of them, from last years canes...

Strawberries are growing, my apple seedlings and my plum seedling are growing.......now I need a pear tree........

Filberts are coming too....before I die this place is going to be a self sufficient little homestead....

A

• ChimX, wildedibles, Juthro and 2 others like this

#11 mjroom

mjroom

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 562 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 April 2017 - 07:35 PM

Spent most of today creating some new beds and bringing wheelbarrow loads of fresh new soil up from the compost heap...........

So as I said, the amount of yard to mow is steadily decreasing while the vegetable producing square footage is steadily increasing..............

My plan is unfolding........mwhahahahahaha................... :biggrin:

My back is tired (I'm not young any more), arms and legs are fatigued but feel good, and the best part of it...........my blood pressure is WAY DOWN...........

I know what I'm supposed to be doing...............MAKING DIRT..............

attachicon.gifDirtmaker999.jpg

My soil......it smells like mushrooms......BIG TIME......... :meditate:

Soon there will be fresh vegetables and canning will begin......

Raspberries and Black Berries are throwing shoots, lots of them, from last years canes...

Strawberries are growing, my apple seedlings and my plum seedling are growing.......now I need a pear tree........

Filberts are coming too....before I die this place is going to be a self sufficient little homestead....

A

I think that I read in The Azurescens Foundation PDF that wood lovers just love trees like Filberts especially cuttings made in spring when the sap is flowing and then let the cuttings sit to dry till the late fall when you can lay them onto your patch ready for the mycelium to eat in the spring. The wood has lots of sugars that the mycelium can use. Wonder if they would eat the shells? Great garden and dirt thanks for posting the pictures very inspirational. mjroom.

• Arathu, wildedibles, Heirloom Spores and 1 other like this

#12 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 3,829 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 April 2017 - 11:56 AM

Whoa...another 200 sq ft of grass is missing...........all of my starters have............started............. :biggrin:

My blood pressure, I just took the measurements after four hours of Earth-loving (after a ten minute pause and ice cold water) weight- 168 lbs, S121/D66/P73...............GROUNDED MAN!

We gonna have some serious veggies..............and I'm planning on being at least 200 years old before I croak............hahahahaha whatever all I know is I'm a happy camper..........

Alas...off to corporate slavery for the afternoon.............I need a farm..........gotta talk mama and the kiddo into it.......... :hug:

A

Edited by Arathu, 18 April 2017 - 11:57 AM.

• wildedibles, Alder Logs and Juthro like this

#13 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 3,829 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 April 2017 - 05:41 AM

I subtracted an additional 250 sq feet from the mowing, I wasn't kidding, and added it to the vegetables growing space........

I'm going to need to get a real rototiller at some point.........it's starting to look like a farm here............. :laugh: 

A

• wildedibles and Juthro like this

#14 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 122 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 06:17 AM

That's my eventual dream, fully edible landscaping, well edible and medicinal.

#15 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,048 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 April 2017 - 08:00 AM

I love getting rid of the grass :) Im gonna try and get some rabbits to take care of the rest :)

back to the land is trying to get people to reclaim the land maybe we all should take some measurements and see how much land we can reclaim here in back to the land :)??

maybe we could make it a summer contest?? collect a hand full of prizes??

Edited by wildedibles, 28 April 2017 - 08:02 AM.

• Arathu likes this

#16 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 3,829 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 April 2017 - 08:51 AM

GROW FOOD NOT LAWNS.......

post-113856-0-86149800-1493386490.jpg

In so far..........(I have to do it, a bullet list :biggrin: )

• Tomato barrels
  • Garlic barrels
  • Potato barrels
  • Beans
  • Peas
  • Cabbage
  • Onions
  • Cauliflower
  • Cucumbers
  • Zucchini
  • Broccoli
  • Peppers
  • Eggplant

Coming soon...........upside down tomato buckets, upside down cucumber buckets, strawberry towers, blackberry and raspberry hedgerows, filbert tree's, apple tree's, plum tree's, pear tree's...and whatever else calls out to me. I have all kinds of herbs growing, oregano, sage, rosemary, peppermint, dill, and etc....... Hell the "grass" is mostly dandelion, plantain, ground ivy, wood sorrel, purslane, and etc......most of which is also edible and quite nutritious........... 

A   

Attached Thumbnails

• fuck_lawns_001.jpg

• wildedibles, Juthro and Heirloom Spores like this

#17 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,048 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 April 2017 - 09:20 AM

ah get rid of the lawn path and put in rocks :) that way the run off water off the rocks will add minerals to the dirt and the grass wont creep into the veggie bed

looking good fuck lawns is right plant low growing weeds = herbs = edible lawns not useless grass we cant even grow long to feed the deer or friends beef ;)
  • Spooner likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!