59 replies to this topic

#21 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,544 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 July 2017 - 03:27 PM

First pickins at the Dirtmaker's Acre...........beans and peas......

post-113856-0-28149400-1499804609.jpg

Four gallons of green beans on the first harvest...........about half a gallon of sweet peas..........

Man are they good...........

:cool:

A

small_GEDC1883.jpg

Edited by Arathu, 11 July 2017 - 03:28 PM.

• PsyBearknot, wildedibles, Juthro and 1 other like this

#22 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,544 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 July 2017 - 03:04 PM

small_GEDC2074.jpg

I couldn't pick the peas yet...my back wouldn't take any more so I have to sit inside for a spell......

But I got another load of beans, 4 more zucchini, some beets, and green and banana peppers......

I strung my cucumber vines onto wires going straight up in the air...hopefully I can keep the chipmunks off of them so I get to eat some too

Tomatoes are turning red, eggplants are ripening, I know there's carrots underground and potatoes.......

BUT before I brought this stuff in the house I took one of each down to the stone circle and made an offering on my altar, giving thanks for what we have....together

In my heart and mind I just can't see things being any better than that......I have my own ground, my family is safe and happy, mostly healthy, and our bellies are full.....

I have mushrooms growing and more to come......it's on man

SO I take some over to the neighbors right.....and not too long after that......a knock on the door

small_GEDC2080.jpg

Someone is going to have go WAY out of their way to prove to me that fighting over shit and bombing each other is better than a happy neighbor making zucchini cake......

And us SHARING WITH EACH OTHER.......... :hug:

Bare feet and tingling.....

Here at the Dirtmaker's Acre.......

A

• wildedibles, mjroom, Nsnail and 1 other like this

#23 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,080 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 July 2017 - 05:13 PM

see ripe tomatoes where I am will be near the end of growing season ....well most is ready then ....but im learning what can be planted way early like root veggies ;) they can be planted as soon as the ground isnt froze anymore and now I know I can plant Alaska peas and Snow peas soon after then too (poppy's) get planted about the same time too......onions well I have some that stay in (forever onion) something like that t hey r more of a wild onion and we have a wild garlic here too it gets planted in the fall for next late summer (the wild onion or garlic) have bulbs instead of flowers that come at the top of the stalk :) they are really neat watching them grow tall and fall over and the bulbs grow stems and bulbs its a never ending onion lmao

soo....my friend is moving and his garden will be picked when ready but watering will be a problem ...the rain has been good so far good balanced weather heres hoping we have enough rain to keep the garden produciing enough of what we need
i mentioned it cuz next year we r reclaiming more ground grass into garden :)
making a veggie garden at his sis's cottage and adding more flower beds too and an apple tree ......so I gotta keep my body moving my friend is a good help with the rotter tiller he cant bend so I do the picking weeds and produce :)

Heres to learning to grow on the land :) listing to the garden :)

chippys are into the strawberries here :) lol he just ate the last ones on huby I told him got to get up before the chippy does :) lol I should have given the chipy his peanuts but some vit c is what they are craving

Edited by wildedibles, 23 July 2017 - 05:16 PM.

#24 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,544 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 July 2017 - 06:05 PM

Chippys ate ALL the strawberries and cucumbers....nibbled the zucchini, and nibbled the eggplants ....I'm running out of tolerance.................. :bat: 

A

• wildedibles likes this

#25 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,080 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 July 2017 - 10:20 AM

lol chippys are an animal that I can well we both can relate too :) but ya it sucks when they take it all ....mine saved me some
....you might have to get a big bag of nuts and a chippy garden just for them .....ask Juthro about his Moose garden it works a bit to draw them away from our garden?? maybe ??

#26 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,080 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 July 2017 - 10:20 AM

lol chippys are an animal that I can well we both can relate too :) but ya it sucks when they take it all ....mine saved me some
....you might have to get a big bag of nuts and a chippy garden just for them .....ask Juthro about his Moose garden it works a bit to draw them away from our garden?? maybe ??

#27 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 13,139 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 July 2017 - 02:18 PM

I feed my chipmunks oil sunflower seeds.   I give them to the birds and my Douglas Red Squirrel too.   The squirrel is getting almost as tame as the chippers.

gallery_131808_1351_7377.jpg

• wildedibles, Juthro and Nsnail like this

#28 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,080 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 July 2017 - 03:25 PM

:) You can plant peanuts eh? lol they will harvest thier own :)
my mom feeds all the little critters all the time and they still prefer her bulbs that she plants ....loves the flowers as much as she does :)
...my Dad has a Juthro problem but with deer they eat everything they chew the tops of the flowering roses the best ....so does my Dad ....
.....chippys were I am but the deer and moose will come threw but they dont eat anything .....do deer throw sticks around cuz after they are around I find sticks everywhere and I dont have big trees ....?? animals are weird

I wondered why we would be able to live off the bounty of the wild when chippys eat all the nuts and such before we could get them ....hazel nuts :( never see a ripe one ....I seen a chippy holding very very still hoping I wouldnt see him as he steals ;) another nut :) lol Its ok chippy then I realised well chippys would have been a big part of our diet as well.....the times hve changed

#29 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 13,139 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 July 2017 - 08:34 PM

It the Stellar jays that take all the nuts here.   The red squirrels get some Filberts, but all the walnuts and chestnuts are carted off by the jays.  Pretty sons of bitches, they are! 

• Arathu and wildedibles like this

#30 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,080 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 July 2017 - 09:09 AM

I agree they are pretty :) The blue jays here get many peanuts not last year the year before we had a bunch of babies :) Loud they were learning how to squeel like these birds tend to do when it rains ;) or to give a warning ....but it was funny one of the baby birds had a call that sounded like me when I call my baby butt cat
....baby baby butt ....baby baby butt.....and so on ;)
  • Arathu likes this

#31 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,544 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 July 2017 - 02:37 PM

I'm thinking of getting a couple cats and four or five large black snakes............... :cool:

A

• wildedibles likes this

#32 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,080 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 July 2017 - 04:02 PM

hum....if you dont have a cat all you have to do is put cat food outside durring the day or you will end up with more pests lol....but anyway all you need is a cat to hang around outside :) maybe this is why Im having luck ....be right back...

med_gallery_121976_1582_29600.jpg
This guy Moris cat he is outside most of the night with his little brother .....and they spend most of the day sleeping in the garden :) they have thier spots .....I end up with well half eaten critters all over where I walk so they can let Mommy know they got the critters that were eating the garden .....it works for grasshopers too but not snails ;) lol

Edited by wildedibles, 27 July 2017 - 04:20 PM.

• Arathu likes this

#33 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 13,139 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 July 2017 - 04:41 PM

Was St. Francis of Assisi a gardener?

4833216.jpg

#34 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,544 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 July 2017 - 04:50 PM

The only reason I haven't is that I'm close to the road............people run cats over on purpose...........

#35 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,544 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 July 2017 - 04:51 PM

4833216.jpg

I'd like to feed him some mushrooms.......... :biggrin:

• wildedibles likes this

#36 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,080 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 July 2017 - 07:57 PM

4833216.jpg

I'd like to feed him some mushrooms.......... :biggrin:

none of thoese critters really need a garden they could eat I mean take care of themselves :) lol

your chippys will eat Yellow Amanita's too eh?? They will dry them out in the tree or on a rock to keep maybe for Christmas.....maybe we should ask ^^ :) seems like the critters talk to him .....thing is that looks like my Moms place :) and her feeding them outa her hand well xcept the wolves and cyote's and bears oh my

....ok back to gardening ......Just feed a cat thats around one will come if you feed it trust me :) just put the food dish near the garden but watch it might just attract more birds ...the Jays or youll get thoes black birds ....
  • CatsAndBats likes this

#37 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 13,139 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 July 2017 - 08:33 PM

Put catfood out here and you get raccoons. 

• wildedibles and CatsAndBats like this

#38 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,154 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 July 2017 - 09:33 PM

Cat food outside can attract black bear where we are.

So I guess I better feed'em at the neighbors.....

:)
  • wildedibles and CatsAndBats like this

#39 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,080 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 July 2017 - 03:33 AM

This is why I suggested day time feeding only ;) chipmunks will eat cat food too ....lol the one year it was funny he would sneak up to the step and sneak some cat food and back to his hole .....well come fall he decided to well move in then he could get the cat food easier ....he lived in the house for a couple weeks the cats didnt know what to do with a chippy inside lol silly cats thought it was a family member since it was in the house ;) they wouldnt eat it ......for a little bit anyway we had more then a few cats then so it didnt stay longer then a couple weeks
  • Juthro likes this

#40 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,384 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 July 2017 - 10:11 AM

So, I'm going to hijack your organic thread to vent about the deer that is destroying my garden.

A deer is destroying my garden.

Anyway, making habanero spray to "organically" save my tomatoes. The perp is a lactating female that I already started feeding 'deer corn' in hopes that it would stem my garden's destruction, but she's voracious and indiscriminate.

The extract is going into a 2gal pump sprayer.

Tomato plants that she's ravaged:

deer1.jpg

deer2.jpg

Habaneros:

deer3.5.jpg

Liquified:

post-147940-0-26024700-1501513585.gif

At least she leaves me "presents" which you better believe I'm using in mini 'cat-boxes'!

post-147940-0-94221600-1501513571.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• deer3.jpg
  • deer4.gif

Edited by CatsAndBats, 31 July 2017 - 10:15 AM.

• Arathu, wildedibles, Microbe and 1 other like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!