59 replies to this topic

#41 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,390 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 July 2017 - 10:24 AM

My rabbits leave me little gold nugs like that too!!

Hope your spray works .....was thinking thed leeave the poisonos tomato leaves along??
  • CatsAndBats likes this

#42 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

[^._.^]ノ彡 & /|\( ;,;)/|\

• OG VIP
  • 7,982 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 July 2017 - 10:43 AM

My rabbits leave me little gold nugs like that too!!

Hope your spray works .....was thinking thed leeave the poisonos tomato leaves along??

This deer is some sort of organic garden anarchist.

• wildedibles likes this

#43 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

(~);}

• App Administrator
  • 3,155 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 July 2017 - 10:44 AM

So, I'm going to hijack your organic thread to vent about the deer that is destroying my garden.

A deer is destroying my garden.

Anyway, making habanero spray to "organically" save my tomatoes. The perp is a lactating female that I already started feeding 'deer corn' in hopes that it would stem my garden's destruction, but she's voracious and indiscriminate.

The extract is going into a 2gal pump sprayer.

Tomato plants that she's ravaged:

attachicon.gifdeer1.jpg

attachicon.gifdeer2.jpg

Habaneros:

attachicon.gifdeer3.5.jpg

Liquified:

post-147940-0-26024700-1501513585.gif

At least she leaves me "presents" which you better believe I'm using in mini 'cat-boxes'!

post-147940-0-94221600-1501513571.jpg

Reflective bird tape and motion activated sprinkler have been the most effective deterrent that I have found yet besides having them over for dinner.
  • Arathu, wildedibles, Juthro and 1 other like this

#44 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 4,751 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 July 2017 - 01:35 PM

+1 for the motion activated sprinklers, I've had good luck with them.

The only down side to them is if you get distracted and forget to turn the water off, like your wife asked you to do, before she goes into the garden to weed the beds. (and it really doesn't help if she catches you laughing at the point, just as an FYI)
  • coorsmikey, Arathu, wildedibles and 2 others like this

#45 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

[^._.^]ノ彡 & /|\( ;,;)/|\

• OG VIP
  • 7,982 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 July 2017 - 01:38 PM

+1 for the motion activated sprinklers, I've had good luck with them.

The only down side to them is if you get distracted and forget to turn the water off, like your wife asked you to do, before she goes into the garden to weed the beds. (and it really doesn't help if she catches you laughing at the point, just as an FYI)

PLEASE film this. I know from the photography thread that you have a camera handy!

• wildedibles and Juthro like this

#46 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 4,846 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 July 2017 - 01:45 PM

I'm thinking about putting motion activated LOUD sounds from a set of rock speakers.......

51dxtelmgCL.jpg

Like my voice raising holy hell....might be good for jackass neighbors too.............Perhaps I'll add some other scary stuff too..............skulls on posts, wait I already have those.........

It's NOT hijacking Cat..........it's solidarity and camaraderie...................why in the hell do they have to eat just what I planted? WTF? 

I've warned them that I will go back to full bore carnivore.................  :bat:

A

Edited by Arathu, 31 July 2017 - 01:46 PM.

• wildedibles, Juthro and CatsAndBats like this

#47 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,390 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 July 2017 - 01:50 PM

ya why dont they trim the grass down so we dont have to mow?? Ive been picking more clover thrn the rabbits around here too ;)
  • CatsAndBats likes this

#48 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 4,751 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 July 2017 - 01:54 PM

PLEASE film this. I know from the photography thread that you have a camera handy!

LOL, I think if it happened again I would be documenting my own demise.....

Edited by Juthro, 31 July 2017 - 01:55 PM.

• coorsmikey and wildedibles like this

#49 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

[^._.^]ノ彡 & /|\( ;,;)/|\

• OG VIP
  • 7,982 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 July 2017 - 02:17 PM

I'm thinking about putting motion activated LOUD sounds from a set of rock speakers.......

attachicon.gif51dxtelmgCL.jpg

Like my voice raising holy hell....might be good for jackass neighbors too.............Perhaps I'll add some other scary stuff too..............skulls on posts, wait I already have those.........

It's NOT hijacking Cat..........it's solidarity and camaraderie...................why in the hell do they have to eat just what I planted? WTF? 

I've warned them that I will go back to full bore carnivore.................  :bat:

A

I'm turning into a hippie I guess..

Like I don't have enough animals to feed, now I have a deer too! Opossum, skunk, pit bull, a bunch of cats, deer, birds.. the list keeps growing. 

• wildedibles likes this

#50 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

[^._.^]ノ彡 & /|\( ;,;)/|\

• OG VIP
  • 7,982 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 July 2017 - 02:18 PM

LOL, I think if it happened again I would be documenting my own demise.....

I mean, isn't "art" worth it?

• wildedibles likes this

#51 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,558 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 July 2017 - 02:19 PM

I've got two woodchucks working my garden

They are about to be gifted with rat poison laced heads of lettuce. Right at their evil little front doors.

It will be the only non-organic action in my garden this year.

Edited by pharmer, 31 July 2017 - 02:20 PM.

• wildedibles likes this

#52 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 4,846 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 July 2017 - 02:25 PM

Ground hogs will completely clear a garden of growing things....I've seen it happen more than once.................

I have some very large industrial capacitors that might make a really decent non lethal deterrent..........shockingly so........

I can see adding some electrodes to a head of lettuce and a "correction" made by direct experiences............ZAP!

A

• wildedibles likes this

#53 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

[^._.^]ノ彡 & /|\( ;,;)/|\

• OG VIP
  • 7,982 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 July 2017 - 05:14 PM

My skunk mama got rid of the groundhogs for me. 

i_love_skunks_stickers-rbf8dc71335874615

@pharmer, can't ya just trap them?

Edited by CatsAndBats, 31 July 2017 - 05:28 PM.

• Arathu, wildedibles and Juthro like this

#54 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,390 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 July 2017 - 05:45 PM

My skunk mama got rid of the groundhogs for me. 

i_love_skunks_stickers-rbf8dc71335874615

@pharmer, can't ya just trap them?

hahahahahah :)

#55 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

Shiitake Novice 206 Logs

• OG VIP
  • 9,421 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 August 2017 - 12:12 AM

We have many deer and here.   If we want anything that deer or elk will eat, it goes behind a tall fence.   No other way.   Raccoons and birds are the tough nut to crack here.   The blueberries, strawberries, and nuts are plentiful, but not for the humans. 

• wildedibles and CatsAndBats like this

#56 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,390 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 August 2017 - 03:23 AM

What about the old scare crow ....we had to make it evolve a little cuz I know a scare crow wont work for long ut adding stuff that moves in the wind I think I remember my aunt using ribbons and ballons small wind chimes etc??
  • CatsAndBats likes this

#57 Microbe

Microbe

Citizen Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,803 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 August 2017 - 01:51 PM

So, I'm going to hijack your organic thread to vent about the deer that is destroying my garden.

Anyway, making habanero spray to "organically" save my tomatoes. The perp is a lactating female that I already started feeding 'deer corn' in hopes that it would stem my garden's destruction, but she's voracious and indiscriminate.

attachicon.gifdeer1.jpg

attachicon.gifdeer2.jpg

Habaneros:

Liquified:

At least she leaves me "presents" which you better believe I'm using in mini 'cat-boxes'!

1tj1fr.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator

I can absolutely imagine how pissed you are. Being a former avid Hunter I will tell you deer can be a little tricky to deal with. I can go into a while lot of shit about deer behaviors but i will keep it simple.

You will need to use a combination of methods such as a coyote audible sound in addition to a decoy. The decoy should be moved daily.

Many don't realize that it only takes 2 coyotes to bring down a massive buck. They keep it in a pickle and rip apart it's hindquarters so that it can run away before they finally kill it. Interesting huh?

Moving on. What works now won't work later. Contrary to popular belief, deer are stupid animals. Sure they are elusive because of their keen senses but they adapt. That is what gives them false perception of being intellegent animals.

You will need to try a combination of deterrents and change them up throughout the year. Behaviors change as the seasons as their diets are inline with rut season , winter , then spring fawns.

They are driven to eat, bump ugglies, and populate that is it and there are 2 things that make deer challenging to deal with.

A hungry deer will risk it's life to eat and survive and a horny deer becomes oblivious to what's around it so if its a horny and hungry deer, there will not be a single deterrent that will be effective. Deer will get used to everything including you. If it sees you enough and you are of no threat , it will stand there and watch you while you pull weeds out of your garden.

Now devil's advocate here. These deer wouldn't be coming into your garden if we're not taking there habitat. But as humans that's what we do we take shit even when it isn't ours. Survival of the fittnes or survival of the one with the biggest weapon or largest army. Just go ask the Indians .......

Back to reality. One could determine that this deer is threatening your ability survive , who knows you may depend on that garden to eat and to feed your cats, I know you don't but this deer doesn't know. I would introduce it to a Rifled Slug curtious of the SPAS 12 or you can go with a Rifled Slug barrel and throw a sabot from a REM 870.

See face up top. You can do it.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

#58 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

[^._.^]ノ彡 & /|\( ;,;)/|\

• OG VIP
  • 7,982 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 August 2017 - 04:17 PM

attachicon.gifdeer1.jpg

attachicon.gifdeer2.jpg

Habaneros:

Liquified:

1tj1fr.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator

I can absolutely imagine how pissed you are. Being a former avid Hunter I will tell you deer can be a little tricky to deal with. I can go into a while lot of shit about deer behaviors but i will keep it simple.

You will need to use a combination of methods such as a coyote audible sound in addition to a decoy. The decoy should be moved daily.

Many don't realize that it only takes 2 coyotes to bring down a massive buck. They keep it in a pickle and rip apart it's hindquarters so that it can run away before they finally kill it. Interesting huh?

Moving on. What works now won't work later. Contrary to popular belief, deer are stupid animals. Sure they are elusive because of their keen senses but they adapt. That is what gives them false perception of being intellegent animals.

You will need to try a combination of deterrents and change them up throughout the year. Behaviors change as the seasons as their diets are inline with rut season , winter , then spring fawns.

They are driven to eat, bump ugglies, and populate that is it and there are 2 things that make deer challenging to deal with.

A hungry deer will risk it's life to eat and survive and a horny deer becomes oblivious to what's around it so if its a horny and hungry deer, there will not be a single deterrent that will be effective. Deer will get used to everything including you. If it sees you enough and you are of no threat , it will stand there and watch you while you pull weeds out of your garden.

Now devil's advocate here. These deer wouldn't be coming into your garden if we're not taking there habitat. But as humans that's what we do we take shit even when it isn't ours. Survival of the fittnes or survival of the one with the biggest weapon or largest army. Just go ask the Indians .......

Back to reality. One could determine that this deer is threatening your ability survive , who knows you may depend on that garden to eat and to feed your cats, I know you don't but this deer doesn't know. I would introduce it to a Rifled Slug curtious of the SPAS 12 or you can go with a Rifled Slug barrel and throw a sabot from a REM 870.

See face up top. You can do it.

I am absolutely a live and let live kind of person. I try to live in harmony with all sorts of creatures that the lion's share of humans detest. I save spiders, I actually do love skunks, etc.. I am hyper aware of the loss of habitat that most woodland creatures have been subjected to due to man's reckless "colonizing". The only exceptions are vermin and/or any animal/s that pose a threat to a member of my 'pack'. If one of these deer did so much as look at my dog wrong I'd murder it with my knife. That said, the pepper spray and me FUCKING FEEDING them has stemmed further damage to the plants. I'm getting the motion detector sprinkler in the next coupla days too.

post-147940-0-10259600-1501794986.jpg

here they are in a nearby clearing off property after I accidentally interrupted their dinner that I intentionally left them.

Attached Thumbnails

• deer666.jpg

Edited by CatsAndBats, 03 August 2017 - 04:18 PM.

• wildedibles and Microbe like this

#59 Microbe

Microbe

Citizen Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,803 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 August 2017 - 04:22 PM

I too let live, and is why I stopped hunting. I will kill anything and I mean anything that threatens my family. So if it meant my family would starve if deer ravished my garden , it would receive a overdose of lead ..

Thought you lived in a more rural setting.......

Sprinklers work and will spook them but they will eventually enjoy the nice cool shower. Good luck brother and protect your tomatoes.

Edited by Microbe, 03 August 2017 - 04:23 PM.

#60 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,390 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 August 2017 - 04:32 AM

So using a few diff tricks and changing them up ....

eg plant a deer friendly garden that they can eat away from your good garden

plant plants that deer dont like around the veggies that they dont like (kinda like a fence around the tenders)

motion sprinkler moved every couple days

wind chimes moved every couple days

balloons tied onto ribbons so they move

get a dog and tie it near the garden

if all this and other tricks dont work I suggest feeding the cyote's lol My mom has started feeding the cyote's and wolves the discarded meat and bones far enough away from her yard but close enough she dosnt get critters around anymore .....but this isnt the best option either
  • Microbe likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!