• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Spiceman

Spiceman

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 04:53 AM

Good day.  I have been reading a lot here and on other sites for some time.  decided to join since sometimes I would like to ask some questions.

I have been "playing around" with growing mushrooms on several substrates and mixes.  The initial reason is tha the waste we have has high polyphenol content. 

The mushrooms that I have been growing is oysters, shiitake and turkeys tails.  my attemps were just to see if they would grow on the waste  - ie colonize it  - the attemps were not initially aimed and producing the fruitimg bodies. 

The theory and some literature inidicated that once the waste had been colonized by the mushroom mycelia, this product could be eddible to the animals on the farm.

Ok do thats where the current growing attemps at work is geared towards. 

Since the place is not equiped or desigend for growing mushrooms it is all just "small" trials to "guesstimate"  how feasible it would be.

A few days ago I noticed some fruiting on one cake. and I assume pinning on another,  I have taken dome photos and will try and upload.

have a great day allAttached File  oyster 1.jpg   76.47KB   2 downloads

• Sidestreet, MLBjammer, Arathu and 2 others like this

#2 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 7,360 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 January 2017 - 06:54 AM

So you're growing oysters on (more or less) garbage?  That's great!  Thanks for sharing, it's just the kind of experimentation we like to see.  Please feel free to tell us more about it.  :)

Welcome.

• MLBjammer likes this

#3 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

[^._.^]ノ彡 & /|\( ;,;)/|\

• OG VIP
  • 7,271 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 January 2017 - 08:49 AM

You may find some useful information here, I took several of her classes, she's a good egg:

https://diyfungi.wordpress.com/how-to/

Digesting Household Waste with Fungi:

In Victoria where I live, garbage was dumped in James Bay until 1892; until 1955 it was loaded onto barges and dumped 2 miles out of the harbor, until 1970 it was burned and dumped along millstream, and its only since the 70’s that its been going to Hartland landfill. We produce so many non-biodegradable item with short shelf lives and long term impacts.

In the Capital Regional District, guess what makes up most of what goes to the landfill? The most frequently encountered waste component was “Organic Waste” accounting for one third of all residuals. Second was “Paper and Paper Products” representing approximately 16% of the total waste stream. Third was “Plastics”, representing about 13% and the fourth most commonly found waste type was “Wood and Wood Products” at 10%. The remaining waste categories represented approximately 30% of the waste stream.

In terms of the waste disposal rates, it was calculated that each person within the Regional District was responsible for 414 kg of landfilled waste in 2009.  Included in this total was 126 kg of “Organic Waste”, 69 kg of “Paper and Paper Products”, 54 kg of “Plastics” and 41 kg of “Wood and Wood Products”.

What do mushrooms eat again? Paper and Paper Products, Wood and Wood Products for sure, and organic waste can be composted and secondary decomposer mushrooms grown on it. That means that at least 26-59% of what ends up in our landfill is suitable to grow mushrooms on (to recycle or compost with mushrooms).

So… you can grow mushrooms on waste materials for food, or you can work with fungi to break down a household or community waste that you want to address. To get started, identify your biodegradable waste. You can separate your weekly garbage and see how much cardboard, paper, plastics, food scraps you are generating. This will help you determine where you can improve purchasing, pretend that landfills don’t exist!

If you have a cat or dog, you can experiment with digesting their poop with mushrooms. This is an experiment, and I initially propose Oyster and King Stropharia mushrooms based on what research suggests. Though, in my own digesters, I keep seeing Coprinus species (the family that Shaggy Manes are in) popping up, and this makes sense- they are secondary decomposers, and break down whats already been broken down by animals and other life. I think Coprinus species would be good to explore for these digesters too!

Dog Poop Digester

Cat Poop Digester

Small Scale Mycoremediation: 

See Peter McCoy of Radical Mycology’s awesome videos on making a cigarette digester: 

[Direct Link]

Cigarette Digester

• Sidestreet, MLBjammer, Gnomesayin and 1 other like this

#4 Spiceman

Spiceman

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 10:54 AM

ok lets go a bit further.   the waste that we want to manage is organic, natural if you  want to call it that. it is just the shear volumes that make it a problem...
There are tonnes of literature out there of possibilties to manage it - the main stream going towards burning it.   To me this feels like waste of a "good" usable product.

There are somepublications out on how to grow mushrooms on it.  even patented stuff.  my issue with the available info was that they use additives / materials that is either not available here or is expansive,   I have been reading up on several forums and been gathering ideas.  the reason I jined here was that I found the information documented...  great place to learn. !!!

at the same time I must cofess that I love testing but am not that good at writing it down.  I will endeavour to improve ....  may the bad habbits go the way of the waste and be turned into something usefull. ;)

The first issues I had was that the fresh waste is like (1) sludge - (2)wet, (3)oily, and full of (4) polyphenols (including several antioxdants)...  the antioxidants are great for us to consume for health purposes but bad for composting.  and the volumes makes it downright photo toxic - poisonous to plants, ( and most bacteria).

So overcomming the first two problems - you need to "dry it and aerate it".  the first that coms to mind is to use straw - i do not have access to large enough volumes of it.  I came across  someone mentioning cardboard.  I tried it - it works!!!  I can get cheap or free cardboard by the ton.

With regards toe the oily issue - that is one place where the oysters come in - they seem to have the ability to break down about everything..and they seem to do well on the antioxidants as well.  (will post a photo or two) 

The waste outside the facility had the most revolting faul sour smell that was followed by a rancid oil smell.

When I tested the first round at the facility I was amazed to have a somewhat sweet smell in the air, very pleasant in fact.  Or at least I loved it :)  heavy but definately stronger than the rancid oil smell from outside.
 no one realy made a comment at work.   I suppose they think " the mad guy is at it again."

In any case - even if I can only get rid of the bad smells I would be happy.
the aim however is to process the waste fast enough to have the one harvests wastes out of the way before the next harvest.
any material that had been digested by the oyeter mushrooms of the shiitake for that matter would then be eddible to livestock or can be used as mulching in the orchards.   thats is more or less the line I was thinking.  A harvest of eddible mushrooms would be a bonus. 

• Sidestreet and MLBjammer like this

#5 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 4,855 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 January 2017 - 03:37 PM

welcome to topia :biggrin:

#6 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,283 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 January 2017 - 04:22 PM

Welcome, Spiceman.  I love your experiment.  Keep posting, and thanks for joining.

#7 Nsnail

Nsnail

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 72 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 01:31 AM

I've had similar thoughts ever since I read mycelium running by Paul staments. I know we can get the mycelium to colonize said trash but my concern would be finding a way to test for these toxic compounds in spent substrate or fruits, well a way we could inexpensively test it that is.

I wouldn't want to feed my chickens mycelium that may contain plastics, paints, metals, inks, etc and have it accumulate in their system/eggs. Using it in soil amendment could be the key to further breaking down these toxic compounds but I really don't know enough about plants bioremediation potential to say.

With all that said I'm excited to see what we can get accomplished collectively. Welcome to topia!
  • Sidestreet likes this

#8 Spiceman

Spiceman

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 07:26 AM

thanks all for the welcoming !!!!

The plastics and paint etc I won’t be able to comment on.  Sorry.

I can mention that I did read up on the waste from the coffee industry and that the mushrooms do break down the majority of the caffeine. 

Caffeine, being one of the major pollutants from the coffee industry.

I have also seen that the waste coffee grounds can be a great medium for growing mushrooms at home.

For my work I am looking at bioremediation of pure organics - plant material that by shear volumes is toxic and poses and environmental hazzard.

here is another photo of one of the tubs .  In this one I added a layer of cardboard on top. 

The pinning happened all along the edges of the cardboard.  I was going to tip the block / cake out this past weekend , however when I opeened the tub it had already started pinning so I left it. Attached File  oysters pinning.jpg   111.3KB   2 downloads

#9 Seeker2be

Seeker2be

Seeking Lost Horizons

• OG VIP
  • 1,216 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 January 2017 - 09:53 AM

Sort of off topic but one has to consider the bigger picture.  One size (growing mushrooms) does not fit all.  It is a lifestyle and you can grow mushrooms out of waste but you have to be careful of heavy metals in materials that cannot be broken down and are concentrated in mushrooms thus not edible.  https://mycotopia.ne...-recycling-tek/

#10 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

[^._.^]ノ彡 & /|\( ;,;)/|\

• OG VIP
  • 7,271 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 January 2017 - 10:09 AM

There are massive amounts of documentation on how to 'mycoremediate' organic waste. You may want to check out radical mycology as that's pretty much his focus, healing local ecological systems with mushroom spawn. You may also consider attending a workshop as well. 

Peter also has free literature in pdf form too.

https://radicalmycology.com/

https://radicalmycol...mputer-read.pdf

#11 Seeker2be

Seeker2be

Seeking Lost Horizons

• OG VIP
  • 1,216 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 January 2017 - 10:27 AM

Like anything else start small, start at home, build on literature, experiment on literature,  purrfect and expand your horizons.

• CatsAndBats likes this

#12 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

[^._.^]ノ彡 & /|\( ;,;)/|\

• OG VIP
  • 7,271 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 January 2017 - 10:31 AM

purrfect and expand your horizons.

eggsactly

#13 Seeker2be

Seeker2be

Seeking Lost Horizons

• OG VIP
  • 1,216 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 January 2017 - 11:48 AM

Oh and avoid CAT-tastrophes! Not tryin to be Catty just trying to get you furrrrrrther down the road. Fur balls happen.

Edited by Seeker2be, 30 January 2017 - 11:49 AM.

• CatsAndBats and dankcontraption like this

#14 Spliff

Spliff

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 503 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 08:58 PM

Hello Spiceman, and welcome.

Very interested in what you are doing, just thought I would add something outside of the organic waste, you heard of the plastic eating fungus, Pestalotoipsis microspora?

Here's some info, http://modernfarmer....oms-save-world/

Edited by Spliff, 31 January 2017 - 10:14 PM.

#15 GLP

GLP

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 96 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 January 2017 - 09:18 PM

Welcome Spiceman, jump in the water is fine. :tinfoil:

#16 JustAnEyedea

JustAnEyedea

Destroy Your Television

• Black VIP
  • 536 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 February 2017 - 01:48 PM

Welcome to the Topia! I Ann in the works of starting a project kind of like this. I ultimately want to present my work, and findings to my city officials to introduce mushroom spawn to the local dump. I'm very interested in what you've got going on here.
  • Spliff and Nsnail like this

#17 Spiceman

Spiceman

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 07:53 AM

Good sternoon everyone and thanx for all the warm welcomes, 

I mentioned in the first message that the place is not equiped for growing mushrooms  - in fact - moisture is something we try and avoid,,   the weather is dry  and warm here .....  So as seeker2be has sugested the trials are small and partly done at home.  

On the practical side....  If you want to sterilize or pasturize 1000 tons of waste  -( waste meaning such a low value that most places in the world it is just discarded.  )  is noy surrently an option. 

so one of the things I have to look at (for) is a fungus that is agressive enough to colonise the waste and can hold its own for the duration of the time it takes to break down the polyphenols and oil.

initially I tried small samples and mixed with what is available (free) in the area.  As mentioned before - I had a look at coffe grounds.  I also found some straw / have that was spoiled by rain - (yes I know its not the ideal  - there are already other bugs fessting on it)  freash would be too expensive.. wood chips(poplar)..  the wood chips would be available for a short time every year  in small quatities.

I used the recomended (as given by the company that sells the spawn) rates of mixing spawn into the waste .   It started growing but soon had more furballs than mycelia of the desired ones - as Seeker has mentioned. 

The next thing I did as to mix a high percentage of spawn into coffee then when it had colonized that mixed that into the waste from the factory = again using about  50:50 mix. 

I just mention that although I work "clean"  I definately do not work sterile.   this is to see how practicle it would be for the final aplication. 

our temperatures are relatively high.   23C at night and 35C- 45C during the day.   ok for the mycelia runnning but not fruiting.     this implies that if we want to harvest mushrooms we wil have to make quite a large capital investment - which is not going to happen.

Going back to the furballs.   Some of the waste has been outside in the o pen, Its been in the rain, in the sun etc but just seems to sit there with hardly anything happening at all.  as soon as the shiitake or oysters have grown into it the other furballs start growing.   If I had been growing shrooms etc I would have regarded thais as a failure, however we want to get the stuff to break down to feeed to the animals or use as non toxic compost in the orchards.   If I can get anything to grow on it and thereby break down the toxic compounds then we have won.

Unfortinately I did not take pics the first round.   I was sceptical that it would work.  for the next round I will take some pics and give better detail as to the exact quatities.

• tailsmcsnails likes this

#18 Spiceman

Spiceman

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 08:14 AM

Special thanx to catatack for that info. 

• CatsAndBats likes this

#19 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

[^._.^]ノ彡 & /|\( ;,;)/|\

• OG VIP
  • 7,271 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 February 2017 - 08:27 AM

Special thanx to catatack for that info. 

No problem, anytime!

gallery_147940_1513_11659.png

#20 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 3,810 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 February 2017 - 02:27 PM

Welcome aboard Spiceman...this is a topic I am dearly interested in too.............I want to see the concept of "refuse" paradoxically make itself refused................. WASTE is an very accurate description and puts the blame squarely where it belongs....on US ALL..........

Great stuff right here.........

A

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!