#21 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,459 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 February 2017 - 12:57 AM

I never touched one when it was hot . I am pretty careful when it comes to hot electrical devises.

#22 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,494 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 February 2017 - 01:29 AM

I never touched one when it was hot . I am pretty careful when it comes to hot electrical devises.

Smart move... that was a really dumb question lol

I'm gonna let it run for 2+ hours tomorrow and use my fancy little laser pointer heat gun to take temp readings... I did a short run today with everything wired up and my new diy reflective hood attached... just want to make sure everything is running smoothly before setting it up over my plants :)

A bit off topic but...
I'm going to flower my CBD Critical Cure under this if all goes well. Should improve my yield a good bit!

I think I'll hang it over the CBD Critical Cure a week or so before I start 12/12 so that the plant can get used to the new light and I can troubleshoot any issues with heat, light stress, etc. before I start bidding her out. Do you think that's a good idea?

Thanks again for all your help everyone! I will post some pictures of the reflector I built and all that good stuff once I have everything worked out and in place :)
-Ethno
  • Heirloom likes this

#23 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 5,517 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 February 2017 - 02:27 PM

The ballast will run "hot to the touch". You would not want to place your hand upon it during operation. 

Depending upon the enclosure, temperatures can reach up to 200*F (This is very unusual and causes damage to the ballast.)

Like others have said, most ballasts are safety insulated by varnish dipping or other means. You can use an open fixture design with some forced-air for cooling and still be reasonably safe.

A good way to do this is to place your ballasts next to the out-put of your cooling duct which ventilates the room. These ballasts will do fine in an attic or crawlspace with the supplemental airflow of the ventilation output blowing over them.

• ethnobotanist420, Juthro and Heirloom like this

#24 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,494 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 February 2017 - 07:49 PM

I've just finished putting my ballast and igniter into an old Computer power supply housing... it has lots of ventilation holes and a fan....

The way I have everything set up the fan is blowing straight onto the ballast and everything is grounded and safely enclosed with plenty of ventilation!

I just finished putting this together... I just have to finish up my reflector hood and ground it as well and then I will post the pictures I have taken... this seems to be taking shape quite nicely :)

So far total cost Is about $10... the ballast, bulb, igniter and socket were free from a friend and the computer that I salvaged parts from was free from a local PC repair shop. Basically all I have had to buy were some wire nuts and some things for my reflector lol

Edited by ethnobotanist420, 02 February 2017 - 07:50 PM.

• Myc, Juthro and Heirloom like this

#25 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,494 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 February 2017 - 03:26 PM

Alright guys… as promised I’ll post some pics of what I ended up doing with this lighting equipment I had…

Here I have everything mounted into the PC power supply box:

CC 030.jpg

After wiring everything up the box was closed and I drew a little something on it for fun lol:

CC 031.jpg

This is a really bad shot of my reflector… its made from some dryer vent tin and some threaded steel rod:

CC 032.jpg

And here it is in its new home giving out much needed light : )

CC 036.jpg

Ive been running the light for 18 hours and the ballast enclosure is cool to the touch and so is any air coming out of the vents! That little PC fan in there is really doing a nice job!

Thanks again to everyone who helped me with this! It will be a very nice addition to my garden!

-Ethno

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!