• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Oam

Oam

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 32 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 07:53 PM

I've ordered my oyster culture syringe and it has shipped! I've looked around the forum and decided to go with SW's. As a surfer of 16 years, Pleurotus ostreatus sparked my interest in regards to remediation . I also want to study different mushroom mycelium density and work towards growing my own surfboard, which I imagine won't be easy. Excited is an understatement at this point.

#2 llamabox

llamabox

Researcher

• OG VIP
  • 1,393 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 February 2017 - 08:37 PM

Keep us posted.
Are you gonna do straw logs or sawdust bags?

#3 Oam

Oam

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 32 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 09:05 PM

I'm new at this journey, so I'll be starting with pf tek to get some experience under my belt. If all goes well, I will purchase a PC and move on to grain and try straw and saw.

#4 Needles

Needles

locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 762 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 February 2017 - 09:30 PM

I'm new at this journey, so I'll be starting with pf tek to get some experience under my belt. If all goes well, I will purchase a PC and move on to grain and try straw and saw.

Your starting out with a good mushroom to start with. Oysters can be easily grown on many different types of substrates. If you plan on the PF tech you may want to do a few extra and use them in straw or even newspaper as a substrate. Keep in mind as with all eatables, lots of FAE when fruiting. Welcome to Topia Oam, lots of awesome people and good advice here......

#5 Oam

Oam

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 32 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 05:22 AM

Your starting out with a good mushroom to start with. Oysters can be easily grown on many different types of substrates. If you plan on the PF tech you may want to do a few extra and use them in straw or even newspaper as a substrate. Keep in mind as with all eatables, lots of FAE when fruiting. Welcome to Topia Oam, lots of awesome people and good advice here......

Thank you Needles.
  • Needles likes this

#6 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

/(^ x ^)\

• OG VIP
  • 7,220 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 February 2017 - 08:17 AM

Pleurotus ostreatus sparked my interest in regards to remediation . I also want to study different mushroom mycelium density and work towards growing my own surfboard, which I imagine won't be easy. Excited is an understatement at this point.

https://radicalmycol...or-remediation/

Found this, it's pretty simple to make without buying their kit, just posting to spark your imagination:

http://giy.ecovativedesign.com/#what

Keep in mind as with all eatables, lots of FAE when fruiting. Welcome to Topia Oam, lots of awesome people and good advice here......

THIS! :biggrin:

#7 Cigarsam

Cigarsam

Traveler

• Free Member
  • 600 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 08:40 AM

I like the idea of mycelium for a surf board but I think someone's beat you to it already. Mycelium is amazing stuff that can be used for almost everything one can imagine.

#8 Oam

Oam

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 32 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 10:33 AM

Pleurotus ostreatus sparked my interest in regards to remediation . I also want to study different mushroom mycelium density and work towards growing my own surfboard, which I imagine won't be easy. Excited is an understatement at this point.

https://radicalmycol...or-remediation/

Found this, it's pretty simple to make without buying their kit, just posting to spark your imagination:

http://giy.ecovativedesign.com/#what

Keep in mind as with all eatables, lots of FAE when fruiting. Welcome to Topia Oam, lots of awesome people and good advice here......

THIS! :biggrin:

That is where both of my ideas branched from, then I saw the potential for surfboards.

#9 Oam

Oam

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 32 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 10:47 AM

I like the idea of mycelium for a surf board but I think someone's beat you to it already. Mycelium is amazing stuff that can be used for almost everything one can imagine.

Yes, the idea has been done, but the right density has yet to be perfected to make it a manageable weight. The whole rage these days is lighter foam while maintaining performance. I've seen video of the first mushroom board in action, and there is plenty of room for improvement. Too many toxic surfboards in our landfills. I plan on researching as many mushrooms I can from psilly on down.

[Direct Link]

Edited by Oam, 04 February 2017 - 12:28 PM.

#10 kcmoxtractor

kcmoxtractor

Halloween Terror

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,783 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 February 2017 - 12:45 PM

what does the density need to be, in terms of g/L? i am a habitual lister of all the

physical properties of a given substrate (data=repeatability), so i could probably

tell you substrates that fall in the optimal range. 

• archersmark and CatsAndBats like this

#11 Oam

Oam

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 32 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 02:41 PM

what does the density need to be, in terms of g/L? i am a habitual lister of all the
physical properties of a given substrate (data=repeatability), so i could probably

Right now, I'm not certain about the companies numbers as far as density goes, but I think you will be a great resource to me once I get going kcmoxtractor. Thank you for lending info when the time comes.
  • kcmoxtractor likes this

#12 kcmoxtractor

kcmoxtractor

Halloween Terror

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,783 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 February 2017 - 10:51 AM

density_chart_2014.jpg

• CatsAndBats and Oam like this

#13 Oam

Oam

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 32 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 01:43 PM

density_chart_2014.jpg

That is outstanding kcmoxtractor. Thank you.

#14 archersmark

archersmark

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 127 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 01:50 PM

kcmoxtractor - do you know the density of dry popcorn kernels, peat, and coir?

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!