3 replies to this topic

#1 llamabox

llamabox

Researcher

• OG VIP
  • 1,393 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 February 2017 - 12:34 PM

So... My business partner is in rhe process of coding our monitering/control system. It will monitor and control all environmental aspects of the farm, temp, humidity, fae etc., but im trying to think of more data points we can collect through sensors and then trigger an action.

Flow meter and solenoid valve will add the exact amount of water needed for substrate prep.

Thermocouple and temp probe will control heating element in the steam sterilizer for our boiler/55gal sterilizer.

Impact shock sensor for banging shiitake blocks.

Also wondering if flir or lidar would detect myc and monitor colonization rates.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated.
  • kcmoxtractor and Needles like this

#2 kcmoxtractor

kcmoxtractor

Halloween Terror

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,783 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 February 2017 - 12:55 PM

neat project, are you using arduino or raspberry pi for the PLC? 

i have a killer recipe for supplemented hardwood fuel pellets i will share with you, it

normally hits 125% BE on 2nd flush for oyster, lion's mane, pioppino, and pholiota

species. i like the idea of a flow meter and solenoid, but i have no idea how to implement

such devices and have always weighed my water. 

we used a PID controller for our low pressure steamer, and it worked flawlessly, 

but i'm curious to see a DIY thermocouple setup. your water boils at what, 199F?

at that temperature you would need to run bran supplemented bags for approximately

24 hours after they reach temperature. i have a friend in taos whose water boils

at 198F and he has to do 24 hr at temp. just keep that in mind when you choose 

the parts for the build. 

you don't need to bang shiitake blocks if you choose the right isolate. 3782 will 

pin aggressively with just 8 weeks incubation and the amount of disturbance it

takes to relocate from incubation to fruiting. it's so sensitive it will pin any time after

popcorning if you move it around. you basically can't touch the bags after full

colonization, which requires proper planning so that they don't need moved after

placement. 

if you're going to collect substrate colonization temperature data, collect it from the

middle of the substrate. if it's anaerobic, that's where the anaerobes will be concentrated. 

the USDA mGAP (mushroom good agricultural practices) program requires monitoring

of internal substrate temperature. 

• Needles likes this

#3 llamabox

llamabox

Researcher

• OG VIP
  • 1,393 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 February 2017 - 02:33 PM

Raspberry pi

I just got the mgap paperwork and haven't looked it over for this.

Yea we are about the same as Taos. And planning on 24hrs in the steamer.

Thanks for the other info.
  • kcmoxtractor likes this

#4 llamabox

llamabox

Researcher

• OG VIP
  • 1,393 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 February 2017 - 09:28 PM

Sensors ordered today for temp/humidity in prep, incubation, fruiting and walkin cooler. Also got a high temp probe for the 55gal sterilizer.

Edited by llamabox, 10 February 2017 - 12:54 AM.

• coorsmikey, kcmoxtractor, Arathu and 1 other like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!