#61 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 4,893 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 July 2017 - 08:20 PM

Its probably not cost effective, but you can get very clean hardwood pellets, and sawdust for smoking food. Amazon carries some. Here is another supplier who I can testify to the quality of their product. Their stuff is food grade and very clean, with no chemicals or paraffin wax binders.

http://www.amazenproducts.com/

Edited by Juthro, 17 July 2017 - 08:23 PM.

• Cigarsam likes this

#62 WillDerback

WillDerback

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 58 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 07:47 AM

Thanks Juthro.  The equipment at that vendor looks awesome.  Making me want to smoke some ribs.  Crazy that they have some many options for different types of wood, but outside of my poor man's budget.  

Also, thanks Cigarsam.  We have that wood at our Walmart plus a 20# bag of oak pellets for $20 US, which is pretty pricey still.  I'd like to get some of the basic $5 for 40 pounds stove pellets to learn on.  I've read that people have good success with them, but because of our climate, they don't carry them at our feed stores.  I'd have to order a pallet, which would be 1000 pounds.  Not sure if I'm up for that kind of space investment.

• Cigarsam likes this

#63 Cigarsam

Cigarsam

Traveler

• Free Member
  • 727 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 02:31 PM

After taking a closer look at the purchased bag I don't know if want to further anymore experimenting with future Reishi grows or recommend grilling using these pellets.
I noticed a small sticker placed on the bottom of the bag "California Proposition 65 Warning"20170718_153207.jpg
It's important for all people to know about this if you are buying from on-line vendors.
I sure as hell want to know how this would impact Reishi fruits.
I'm going to be making a Reishi tincture using Everclear once I get more fruits.

Edited by Cigarsam, 18 July 2017 - 02:42 PM.

#64 WillDerback

WillDerback

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 58 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 02:51 PM

There were numerous studies done associated with smoking foods and grilling foods that stated that the "bark" or infused and often crusty part of smoked meat were known to cause cancer in lab animals.  Also, the black material left on the grill after cooking fatty foods.  I'm wondering if that is what the Prop 65 warning is associated with, since in 2006 researchers determined that PAH were infused into the food through the smoking or grilling process (both from fats and the burning of organic materials such as wood) (I looked this up, I definitely don't have this kind of knowledge stored in my noggin).  I guess the only way to tell is to contact the manufacturer and ask if there is anything besides Hickory contained in the pellets.  If that's the case, it should be fine since the material is not going to be smoked.  Does that make sense or am I talking out of my a$$.

• Cigarsam likes this

#65 Cigarsam

Cigarsam

Traveler

• Free Member
  • 727 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 05:45 PM

Juthro, I like the product you mentioned.
I might donate the rest of my bag to my neighbor and order some of their product.

#66 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,128 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 July 2017 - 07:13 PM

I'm getting sawdust from the fairs (for the horses and live stock) and chainsaw "dust/chips" from tree trimming and hardwood mulches..........my first bags are in the PC with some bran and gypsum added........the old lady is bitching about the heat............means that sterilization is happening..........

My next move is talk to the tree trimmers and cleanup folks.............there's wood everywhere............

All manners of mycological madness is going on here right now...........reishi plates are starting to grow but they seem pretty slow..........Elm Oyster is insanely fast.......I have all kinds of spawning to do.......

As a side note:  I'm pretty sure that human life is a major cause of cancer to the state of California.........I think, actually IMHO, it's way more for lawsuits and liability than concern about your well being...............just my thoughts there......

Become creative, it's what the fungi teach us, start looking for sources of substrates that you can grow you babies on...........it's there.......

A

• bozefonce, Cigarsam and WillDerback like this

#67 Cigarsam

Cigarsam

Traveler

• Free Member
  • 727 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 04:42 PM

20170726_173348.jpg
6 weeks into this and decided to remove the top of the filter bag in order to mist and fan and placed in a small terrarium.
  • bozefonce, Arathu, Microbe and 1 other like this

#68 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,128 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 July 2017 - 07:41 PM

You're gonna be the Reishi king...............beautiful man!

A

• Nsnail likes this

#69 shrooms2017

shrooms2017

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 36 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 11:08 PM

Also going to be growing Reishi and Shiitake on wood sawdust soon.  Thank you for this Thread.

Question about the bags.  Here i have never seen those bags with the filter patch. And online they are expensive to bring to the Philippines.  We have so much saw mills so getting sawdust is easy and very cheap.

But these bags....   We have a plastic bag sealer.  Buying plastic bags here is so very easy!  There is one entire isle of plastic bags one can buy....

Do you think we could make our own grow bags?  I have the medical tape, and was thinking what about putting a slit at the top 3 of the bag, and then covering it with the medical tape.  But not sure how to protect it from the heat as it might degrade and get too wet when pressure cooking.

Another idea was to cut a 1/2 plastic pipe into 1" lengths, and use that as the breath hole.  Adding cotton into the hole and using rubber bands to keep it attached to the plastic.

Good - bad ideas?

#70 Cigarsam

Cigarsam

Traveler

• Free Member
  • 727 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 07:06 AM

Sounds like you have your mind ticking in the right direction.
If your looking into making your own bags or buy pp5 containers. I have found small pp5 plastic containers that work well in a pressure cooker. You just have to make a hole on the top of the lid and make a GE hole.
If you can find the right plastic bags the can take the het you can cut a few portions of the top part of the bag and stuff it with polyfil for GE after proper sterilization.

Not sure about the plastic pipe idea but there are a few people on this site that have an idea about that but not sure if they have had any sucess with that project.
Stick with plastic if you can get the right kind.

Hope this helps.
Best of luck.

Edited by Cigarsam, 23 August 2017 - 09:33 AM.

#71 Aqua and Red

Aqua and Red

Mycophilliac

• Free Member
  • 278 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 12:01 PM

Awesome job!  :laugh:

• Cigarsam likes this

#72 Cigarsam

Cigarsam

Traveler

• Free Member
  • 727 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 09:54 AM

20170901_104352.jpg 20170901_104345.jpg
Starting to notice some white looking mold that is taking over my reishi fruits.
Is this some type of mold?
It brushes off easy.
Thanks for the advice.

#73 Aqua and Red

Aqua and Red

Mycophilliac

• Free Member
  • 278 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 06:27 PM

Hmm.  Do you think it could be the change in fruiting spaces?  Perhaps since it's getting more fresh-air, and a change in humidity, it wants to reform into new mycelium?

It could be a contaminant; maybe not.  I'd say isolate and watch it.  Continue to do what you're doing.

#74 Cigarsam

Cigarsam

Traveler

• Free Member
  • 727 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 07:41 PM

Whatever it is brushes off fine.
It just comes back quickly.
Time to put more Reishi spores on some agar and continue the adventure.
I just harvested the fruit from this project and I am in the process of drying now.
They cleaned up nicely just not near as much fruit from this harvest compared to my last one.

Edited by Cigarsam, 03 September 2017 - 08:08 PM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!