• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 kh1249

kh1249

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 26 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 03:00 AM

Hello all. For years i have searched for magic mushrooms due my curiosity. i recently finally came across some (not sure which strain at all) and my life was instantly changed when i ate them. so, instead of buying them i decided to go ahead and grow. during this grow i hope to learn more than i expect.

to begin. I have 4 half-pint jars. i used brown rice flour, vermiculite, & tap water for my substrate. i pressure cooked the jars for a good hour and let them chill overnight for atleast 8 hours. i sterilized my syringe using a lighter which left black on the needle, but i kinda wiped that off with a clean sponge. here's where the twist comes, but it really isn't a problem: i overload inoculated 2 jars with at least half of the amount of spores in the syringe, so the other 2 received a low unmeasured amount of spores. 

i keep my jars in a cardboard box in a closet, temp stays 74F-80F throughout day & night. 

While 3 of the jars began to colonize 2 days after inoc, one stallled for about a week before it began to show white fuzz.

I am waiting for jars to colonize 100% & Currently i am awaiting for pins inside the jar. I do plan on building a shot gun fruiting chamber using perlite rocks

Thanks for reading!!

Attached Thumbnails

• Snapchat-1114256149.jpg
  • Snapchat-748981254.jpg
  • Snapchat-490002229.jpg
  • Snapchat-431642458.jpg
  • Snapchat-1594691029.jpg

• Jeepster and tailsmcsnails like this

#2 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

o()xxxx[{::::::::::::::::::::::::::>

• OG VIP
  • 9,200 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 February 2017 - 12:33 PM

Just say no to shotgun fruiting chambers.

Just a few well placed holes on the top for intake and one row near the bottom for the co2 to be forced out will be enough.

post-147940-0-46927700-1481478368.jpg

Plus it's way easier to tweak or adjust polyfil/micropore/ezFelt on larger and fewer holes. IMHO of course.

Edited by catattack, 13 February 2017 - 12:35 PM.

• MLBjammer, sillyrabbitcubiesR4us, Gnomesayin and 3 others like this

#3 kh1249

kh1249

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 26 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 01:43 PM

Just a few well placed holes on the top for intake and one row near the bottom for the co2 to be forced out will be enough.

Plus it's way easier to tweak or adjust polyfil/micropore/ezFelt on larger and fewer holes. IMHO of course.

thanks for the info!

i feel as if colonization could've been 100% by now, but i think i slightly over-packed the jars with verm just a little bit. but no big worries at all. by the rate of my growth so far, i am expecting to harvest my fruits sometime before Feb 28. Do you think that may be possible? i am a pretty patient person and i will not rush things at all, just have expectations.

#4 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

• OG VIP
  • 9,200 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 February 2017 - 06:02 PM

thanks for the info!

i feel as if colonization could've been 100% by now, but i think i slightly over-packed the jars with verm just a little bit. but no big worries at all. by the rate of my growth so far, i am expecting to harvest my fruits sometime before Feb 28. Do you think that may be possible? i am a pretty patient person and i will not rush things at all, just have expectations.

It's possible! Just keep posting, I love a cake grow, unlike some of my snobby friends.  :tongue:

Post a couple more times and a moderator can move this to magic.

Edited by catattack, 13 February 2017 - 06:06 PM.

• kh1249 likes this

#5 kh1249

kh1249

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 26 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 02:35 PM

hey all,  update:

Jars still fuzzing up with no complications. i got bored of watching & waiting, so i decided to inoc 4 jars with Golden Teachers syringe 4 days ago. As of today 3 of 4 jars are showing life. i'll post pictures later after i am done with class.

#6 kh1249

kh1249

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 26 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 04:53 PM

awaiting for 100% or at least any signs of pins. if pins do form before 100% i do not mind completing them invitro. i still have not prepared a FC yet.Snapchat-281556213.jpg Snapchat-994267843.jpg Snapchat-1778091884.jpg

#7 The1unknown

The1unknown

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 69 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 05:17 PM

Looks great! I would personally go with clear jars next time. (Easier to spot contams) Also the last picture with your jars turned over you want to keep your layer of verm ontop your jars undisturbed. The layer of verm acts as a filter to help keep contams from the delicious brf in your jar and disturbing it can allow undesirable spores to get down to the cakes.
  • MLBjammer, CatsAndBats and kh1249 like this

#8 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

• OG VIP
  • 9,200 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 February 2017 - 08:17 PM

Looks great! I would personally go with clear jars next time. (Easier to spot contams) Also the last picture with your jars turned over you want to keep your layer of verm ontop your jars undisturbed. The layer of verm acts as a filter to help keep contams from the delicious brf in your jar and disturbing it can allow undesirable spores to get down to the cakes.

You took the canary  uh I mean the words right out of my mouth.

• MLBjammer likes this

#9 kh1249

kh1249

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 26 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 08:53 PM

thanks!

i am definitely using clear jars for my GT experiment. i bought the blue ones bcuz they were on sale at my job haha.

update on the GT jars though: all 4 have began to show white mycelium. very thin & whispy. i'll provide picture in the morning as it progresses.

#10 kh1249

kh1249

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 26 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 12:42 AM

Hey all
Just a little update, no pictures for now regarding my B+ blue jars. still no pins yet but it is slowly reaching 100% as the myc is advancing thru the bottom. i am definitely going to go ahead & finish the grow invitro with my B+. Few concerns tho.. i have read that ppl get pins before 100%, & i was wondering if theres anyway to induce pinning?? the appearance of mushies harvested from invitro does not look appetizing at all. My question is how should they smell once birthed??
As mentioned before, i have started GT & theyre colonizing at a fairly moderate rate.

Thanks for reading

#11 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

• OG VIP
  • 9,200 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 February 2017 - 12:09 PM

So you're afraid it'll pin before 100%? Am I understanding you correctly?
  • MLBjammer and kh1249 like this

#12 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,419 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 February 2017 - 12:17 PM

Hang on.  You want to grow the jars invitro?  And you are trying to encourage pinning?  I am confused there.  Pinning before 100% colonization, though, is no big deal at all.  In fact, it is a very good sign.

The jars should smell like fresh mushrooms in the grocery store.  If they smell like dirty feet or sicky sweet, that is bacteria.

BTW, I use big blue bags for fruiting, and those are easy enough to see bad stuff appear.

Blue canning jars--pretty fancy, lol.

Edited by MLBjammer, 26 February 2017 - 12:19 PM.

• kh1249 likes this

#13 kh1249

kh1249

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 26 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 10:15 AM

My 'concern'is that since the jars have been colonizing for +30 days, i was kinda expecting any kinds of pins just to be assured i advanced to the next step. & what i meant by inducing the pinning: i've read that mushies need a lil sunlight for growing. hope i explained that clearly this time

i've decided to complete invitro because i recently moved, & it'll be less effort for me to dismiss the FC lol lazy me

• CatsAndBats likes this

#14 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

• OG VIP
  • 9,200 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 February 2017 - 10:21 AM

My 'concern'is that since the jars have been colonizing for +30 days, i was kinda expecting any kinds of pins just to be assured i advanced to the next step. & what i meant by inducing the pinning: i've read that mushies need a lil sunlight for growing. hope i explained that clearly this time

i've decided to complete invitro because i recently moved, & it'll be less effort for me to dismiss the FC lol lazy me

Well it sounds like you got a handle on it then. 30+ days is long for PF cakes, I suspect it was compacted. Light and fluffy will encourage faster growth IME

#15 kh1249

kh1249

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 26 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 11:27 AM

Well it sounds like you got a handle on it then. 30+ days is long for PF cakes, I suspect it was compacted. Light and fluffy will encourage faster growth IME

I absolutely agree on that my cakes are compacted lol.

i have a few reasons why i started my GT jars: the first reason is in case something happens to my B+, the recently inoc of the GT jars will be a backup and i would not be so far behind as in restarting a grow :) 2nd was to lightly compact the substrate in the jar lighter & more effective

#16 kh1249

kh1249

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 26 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 03:29 PM

quick update! Feb 27 2017

a couple of my B+ jars have clusters of white dots forming on the cakes, even in areas with slight colonization. could they be pins? i have a picture where it seems quite significant. it may be difficult to see, but a 'white dot' seems bruised with slight blue (the cakes have slightly moved as i've rotated them in my hands for observation) and another is tan-ish in color. i have isolated these two jars into a Coleman cooler

edit** May i get this thread moved? i feel at home already in these forums! :cool:

edit*** since i have moved, the temp in my house is fairly 70-74 at all times

Snapchat-58237945.jpg

Edited by kh1249, 27 February 2017 - 03:38 PM.

#17 kh1249

kh1249

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 26 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 08:13 PM

Snapchat-2044498002.jpg Snapchat-616199576.jpg

Front & backshots of GT. Aggressive, stringy, fast growth. I think these will catch up with my B+ jars & finish at the same time haha joking
  • tailsmcsnails likes this

#18 The1unknown

The1unknown

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 69 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 02:52 PM

There's a contamination thread on Fungi magic they'll be able to help identify if it's contams.

#19 Jeepster

Jeepster

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 312 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 March 2017 - 05:03 PM

attachicon.gifSnapchat-2044498002.jpgattachicon.gifSnapchat-616199576.jpg
Front & backshots of GT. Aggressive, stringy, fast growth. I think these will catch up with my B+ jars & finish at the same time haha joking

Is that a booger?

#20 kh1249

kh1249

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 26 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 08:53 PM

attachicon.gifSnapchat-2044498002.jpgattachicon.gifSnapchat-616199576.jpg

Is that a booger?

Lol what where?? Most likely not
  • Jeepster likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!