176 replies to this topic

#21 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

detective dorkasaurus

• OG VIP
  • 7,723 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 February 2017 - 07:06 PM

Am I the only one that does 2:1:1 out the gate every time? Now I wanna grow cakes again. I'll wait for my carbon cakes.

#22 tailsmcsnails

tailsmcsnails

"DOOR"

• Gold VIP
  • 445 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 February 2017 - 08:43 PM

I feel like a dope here... I did 2:1:1, is that not right?  Mix was damp, but moist and crumbly not wet.  I mean I know you old pros do all kind of tweaks but for a baby shrromer did I do wrong?

Here are some more pics but I'm not sure if they show what you need to see?

The one of the bottom of a jar does look kind of wet but you can also see that there's no 'loose' water sloshing around so I don't know :-(

shroom4.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• shroom2.jpg

• peacefrog likes this

#23 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

detective dorkasaurus

• OG VIP
  • 7,723 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 February 2017 - 08:47 PM

Am I the only one that does 2:1:1 out the gate every time? Now I wanna grow cakes again. I'll wait for my carbon cakes.

I feel like a dope here... I did 2:1:1, is that not right?  Mix was damp, but moist and crumbly not wet.  I mean I know you old pros do all kind of tweaks but for a baby shrromer did I do wrong?

The one of the bottom of a jar does look kind of wet but you can also see that there's no 'loose' water sloshing around so I don't know :-(

attachicon.gifshroom4.jpg

I mean I'm old but not necessarily a pro, and I use 2:1:1 exactly every time. Haven't had a problem with cakes in forever.

• peacefrog and tailsmcsnails like this

#24 tailsmcsnails

tailsmcsnails

"DOOR"

• Gold VIP
  • 445 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 February 2017 - 08:53 PM

I mean I'm old but not necessarily a pro, and I use 2:1:1 exactly every time. Haven't had a problem with cakes in forever.

well I'll have what you're having.

also, the tek I followed said indirect light was fine for myceilium growth, but then lately I see a lot of folks freaking out saying dark dark dark it has to be dark.

Probably the least of my worries but dark or light, mates?

#25 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

detective dorkasaurus

• OG VIP
  • 7,723 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 February 2017 - 09:05 PM

also, the tek I followed said indirect light was fine for myceilium growth, but then lately I see a lot of folks freaking out saying dark dark dark it has to be dark.

Where on earth are you reading "dark dark dark"? That info is older than @alder and @cue put together! Light is good!

• peacefrog likes this

#26 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• OG VIP
  • 1,467 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 February 2017 - 09:08 PM

No you didn't do wrong. Please don't feel like a "dope" I hope my comments didn't make you feel that way, if so, I apologize.

That is the recipe invented by PF in the 90's. He created the cake and his recipe works very well. There is nothing wrong with following the 2:1:1 recipe. I just am a very hands on grower and like to be able to control the moisture content in my substrates. It's just a preference of mine. All I was trying to say was that IMO, the squeeze test is the best way to test for moisture content. I learned this tweaking my casing material. I then moved, kind of backwards to cakes. So I have just always trusted my hands more than a recipe. There will always be variables like the type of verm you are using, if you are grinding your own brf verses purchasing flour, how much inoculant you are planning on using, etc. The water content may need to be adjusted depending on these and other factors.

Edit:

Yes colonizing in the dark is old info. We used to do it that way cause that was the info at the time. Light, while not necessary for mycelial growth, is very beneficial and is generally advised by many growers these days, including myself.

Edited by peacefrog, 18 February 2017 - 09:11 PM.

• Juthro, CatsAndBats and kh1249 like this

#27 tailsmcsnails

tailsmcsnails

"DOOR"

• Gold VIP
  • 445 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 February 2017 - 09:14 PM

Where on earth are you reading "dark dark dark"? That info is older than @alder and @cue put together! Light is good!

yeah good that's what I thought. thanks

#28 tailsmcsnails

tailsmcsnails

"DOOR"

• Gold VIP
  • 445 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 February 2017 - 09:17 PM

No you didn't do wrong. Please don't feel like a "dope" I hope my comments didn't make you feel that way, if so, I apologize.

That is the recipe invented by PF in the 90's. He created the cake and his recipe works very well. There is nothing wrong with following the 2:1:1 recipe. I just am a very hands on grower and like to be able to control the moisture content in my substrates. It's just a preference of mine. All I was trying to say was that IMO, the squeeze test is the best way to test for moisture content. I learned this tweaking my casing material. I then moved, kind of backwards to cakes. So I have just always trusted my hands more than a recipe. There will always be variables like the type of verm you are using, if you are grinding your own brf verses purchasing flour, how much inoculant you are planning on using, etc. The water content may need to be adjusted depending on these and other factors.

Edit:

Yes colonizing in the dark is old info. We used to do it that way cause that was the info at the time. Light, while not necessary for mycelial growth, is very beneficial and is generally advised by many growers these days, including myself.

Nonononono!  You never made me feel like a dope, I'm actually not that fragile, sorry!

Doing this stuff is challenging because there are directly contradictory sources out there, so I run here and ask you guys for disambiguation.  There's sooo much info out there, so many opinions.

Edit I'd like to add that I now notice that the discussion I read insisting that mycelium needed darkness was 14 years old

Edited by tailsmcsnails, 19 February 2017 - 02:04 AM.

• Microbe, peacefrog, Gnomesayin and 1 other like this

#29 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

detective dorkasaurus

• OG VIP
  • 7,723 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 February 2017 - 10:14 PM

Edit:

Nonononono!  You never made me feel like a dope, I'm actually not that fragile, sorry!

Doing this stuff is challenging because there are directly contradictory sources out there, so I run here and ask you guys for disambiguation.  There's sooo much info out there, so many opinions.

Stick with us kid, we won't steer you wrong!

• peacefrog, burncitymyco and tailsmcsnails like this

#30 Microbe

Microbe

Citizen scientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,660 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 February 2017 - 02:12 PM

Edit:

Nonononono! You never made me feel like a dope, I'm actually not that fragile, sorry!

Doing this stuff is challenging because there are directly contradictory sources out there, so I run here and ask you guys for disambiguation. There's sooo much info out there, so many opinions.

Edit I'd like to add that I now notice that the discussion I read insisting that mycelium needed darkness was 14 years old
Cat and i were going to start a myco mythbuster thread, and still might once i establish cultures again. Darkness has obviously been debunked already but there are others to be determined.
  • 46And2, CatsAndBats, tailsmcsnails and 2 others like this

#31 tailsmcsnails

tailsmcsnails

"DOOR"

• Gold VIP
  • 445 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 February 2017 - 03:12 AM

sigh... day 6 and nothing happening.  sadface!

nothing includes (not) any visible molds or cooties so, happyface.

I'm a little worried because the few days before my syringes arrived, we experienced a horrible heatwave.  Outdoor temps hit 45-48 C.  I hate to think how hot it may have been in a shipping container or mail truck.  On my spores' journey from their source in North America, they managed to land and be in transit here when it was murderously HOT. Maybe they are hurt or dead.

The room where the jars live has been right around that 86 F temp all day every day (the heatwave broke the day before my mailbox was be-spored).

Is it too soon to mourn?

At least nothing nasty is growing in place of mycelium.

#32 Pan1

Pan1

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 423 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 03:52 AM

Well nothing better than mold. Im on day seven on my jars saw growth yesterday on my b+ and just saw growth today on albino a+, i usually see growth on day three  or four and been growing for years can spot the first sign of growth.

Just hang in there at day ten maybe start worrying and formulating backup  plan.

oh and even if the heat killed 90 percent of the spores in the syringe there is still lots in there.

#33 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,379 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 February 2017 - 04:26 AM

Yes, give the jars a couple weeks before you give up on them.

86 F is a bit warm for growing.  Make sure you have air moving in the room at all times or lower the temps into the mid 70s F.

#34 tailsmcsnails

tailsmcsnails

"DOOR"

• Gold VIP
  • 445 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 February 2017 - 05:39 AM

Yes, give the jars a couple weeks before you give up on them.

86 F is a bit warm for growing. Make sure you have air moving in the room at all times or lower the temps into the mid 70s F.

OK. It's hot here and no air conditioning, so if I end up starting over, it will be cooler then, summer's peaked.
  • MLBjammer and peacefrog like this

#35 tailsmcsnails

tailsmcsnails

"DOOR"

• Gold VIP
  • 445 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 February 2017 - 03:06 AM

guyyyyyyyys, GUYS GUYS GUYSGUYSGUYS!!!!

Look what I got for Alder's birthday!

myc1.jpg

I don't know if you can see it it's there!!

also my 100th post- whoopie!  (yes, I am 5)

Edited by tailsmcsnails, 21 February 2017 - 03:11 AM.

• MLBjammer, CatsAndBats and peacefrog like this

#36 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,379 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 February 2017 - 04:09 AM

It's tough to see, but congrats anyway.

I would just keep a fan going in your grow area in that temperature range.  You can still grow successfully, as long as you keep the fresh air rolling.

#37 tailsmcsnails

tailsmcsnails

"DOOR"

• Gold VIP
  • 445 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 February 2017 - 05:18 AM

I would just keep a fan going in your grow area in that temperature range. You can still grow successfully, as long as you keep the fresh air rolling.

I'm confused. They're in jars in a box. I didn't think they needed lots of fresh air til they were moved on to fruiting??
Edit-eh OK I took them out of the box. Why did I have them in a box anyway??

Edited by tailsmcsnails, 21 February 2017 - 05:24 AM.

• peacefrog likes this

#38 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• OG VIP
  • 1,467 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 February 2017 - 05:21 AM

Yep, hard to see from the pic, but I think you have lift off. Nice and good vibes.

As stated above, those temps are a little high, but it is what it is in your case. After college, I moved back in with my Mom and step dad for a couple of months. And their house is very old with no central air upstairs. It only had one of those large window unit whole house fans at the time. It got very hot up there during certain times in the summer months. I grew successfully at those high temps, but also had higher than desirable contam rates. But I got some mushrooms out of it. Keep up the good work and keep us posted.
  • tailsmcsnails likes this

#39 tailsmcsnails

tailsmcsnails

"DOOR"

• Gold VIP
  • 445 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 February 2017 - 05:26 AM

Yep, hard to see from the pic, but I think you have lift off. Nice and good vibes.

As stated above, those temps are a little high, but it is what it is in your case. After college, I moved back in with my Mom and step dad for a couple of months. And their house is very old with no central air upstairs. It only had one of those large window unit whole house fans at the time. It got very hot up there during certain times in the summer months. I grew successfully at those high temps, but also had higher than desirable contam rates. But I got some mushrooms out of it. Keep up the good work and keep us posted.

It's cooled off a lot. I'd guess it's about 70-80 in here now all day and night. That first week was epically horrible. Hopefully more friendly to little friends from here on in!!
  • peacefrog likes this

#40 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• OG VIP
  • 1,467 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 February 2017 - 05:32 AM

I would just keep a fan going in your grow area in that temperature range. You can still grow successfully, as long as you keep the fresh air rolling.

I'm confused. They're in jars in a box. I didn't think they needed lots of fresh air til they were moved on to fruiting??
Edit-eh OK I took them out of the box. Why did I have them in a box anyway??

Jammer is referring to keeping the fresh air circulating in the room, not in the jars. You still want and will get GE for them. At those higher temps, contams will thrive much more than say upper 60's-mid 70's.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!