176 replies to this topic

#81 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 4,068 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 March 2017 - 05:26 PM

Awesome! Oh yeah there is something very special about this relationship..................good journey to you......

Set and setting....set and setting...........

A

• MLBjammer, ChimX and tailsmcsnails like this

#82 tailsmcsnails

tailsmcsnails

mycochimp

• Gold VIP
  • 431 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 March 2017 - 08:33 PM

hey guys, I have another question.  I have my lil cakes all set up in an old skool SFC (yeah I followed RR's Lets Grow Mushrooms Videos) with lots of holes.  

Before I left for work today I fanned them, but I won't be able to fan them again til I get home tonight so they will have been unfanned for 12 hours :-(.  What I did was set a fan rotating in the room. hopefully that will provide enough FAE.  The humidity in the box was 99% according to my doo dad so hopefully that's good.  Any thoughts on the 12 hour conundrum?

• ChimX likes this

#83 ChimX

ChimX

Spiritual Forager

• Free Member
  • 193 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 11:34 PM

I wouldn't sweat it Tails.

Ideally, 1/4" holes covering the top, bottom and sides, exactly 2" inches apart from each other, will provide perfect humidity 'and' decent FAE. A good 3 to 4 finger depth of Perlite is also ideal. Chuck in a handful of salt to help keep contams at bay, and then hydrate. If your SGFC is built properly, there shouldn't be a lot of CO2 build up. Try to make sure that your SGFC is also elevated 2 inches off of any flat surface, so that airflow can get underneath which will, in turn, raise relative humidity. A couple of paperweights under your SFGC will do just fine.

Misting is to replenish lost water content, but the fanning is to promote pinning via evaporation. Evaporation is one of the more important triggers for pin development.

Here's a snippet from a reliable source on the order of pinning triggers: "The major pinning triggers are in order of importance, full colonization, a decrease in CO2 levels due to increased air exchange (not gas exchange which is minimal), a steady rate of evaporation from the substrate or casing layer, and lastly, light." - RR

The cakes in that 'No Roll PE/MS' thread were misted and fanned twice a day at 12 hour intervals in an SFGC with the above specifications. I occasionally managed to do so more often, but due to time constraints, once every 12 hours was the norm.

As long as your SGFC is ideal, I wouldn't stress the 12 hour vacation from your project.

If you're still concerned about FAE, mycelium growth along the base and midsection of your mushroom stems is a good indicator that your FAE needs boosting.

Again, as long as your SGFC is tip top, you'll be just fine.

Best of luck with your endeavors.
Metta
-ChimX

Edited by ChimX, 14 March 2017 - 12:19 AM.

• MLBjammer and tailsmcsnails like this

#84 tailsmcsnails

tailsmcsnails

mycochimp

• Gold VIP
  • 431 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 March 2017 - 12:53 AM

Thanks for the reply. Here is my FC. Sorry in advance for the giant pics it happens when I post from my phone.
b11f979fe74f78055d4a23e85b0b0f78.jpg

Cool that the bottom of the box is raised by design.
db0f8b68ed2db6ec2088c7667b82b668.jpg

Edited by tailsmcsnails, 14 March 2017 - 12:56 AM.

• MLBjammer likes this

#85 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,354 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 March 2017 - 03:48 AM

They look pretty happy in there.  I am dubious of the design in general because I have read of so many issues with it over the years, but I have also read of it working for some folks.

If you do have issues with it drying out too much, you can always tape some of the holes, etc.  So it's easily fixed, and you have us here to help you with that.

I would put some double-end casings on those cakes, though.  It will make a difference.  And mist the walls and casings when you can.

• ChimX and tailsmcsnails like this

#86 tailsmcsnails

tailsmcsnails

mycochimp

• Gold VIP
  • 431 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 March 2017 - 03:51 AM

They look pretty happy in there. I am dubious of the design in general because I have read of so many issues with it over the years, but I have also read of it working for some folks.

If you do have issues with it drying out too much, you can always tape some of the holes, etc. So it's easily fixed, and you have us here to help you with that.

I would put some double-end casings on those cakes, though. It will make a difference. And mist the walls and casings when you can.

OK I thought I did put double end casings on-
Dry verm top and bottom?

I had already made my FC before I found you guys, next time I'll have better guidance.

Edited by tailsmcsnails, 14 March 2017 - 03:52 AM.

• MLBjammer and ChimX like this

#87 fahtster

fahtster

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,653 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 March 2017 - 03:53 AM

I little thicker won't hurt one bit.

Faht
  • MLBjammer, ChimX, shoomer and 1 other like this

#88 tailsmcsnails

tailsmcsnails

mycochimp

• Gold VIP
  • 431 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 March 2017 - 04:08 AM

never mind, I did some reading and made the casing at both ends much thicker (filled a jar lid with moistened verm for the bottom).

In between going in there to fan an hour or two ago and just now to do the casings, there are clumps of little mushrooms appearing!

• fahtster, MLBjammer, ChimX and 2 others like this

#89 tailsmcsnails

tailsmcsnails

mycochimp

• Gold VIP
  • 431 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 March 2017 - 05:28 PM

it it weird that I want a webcam set up so I can check on them while I'm at work?  :wub:

• MLBjammer and Arathu like this

#90 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 4,068 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 March 2017 - 06:32 PM

it it weird that I want a webcam set up so I can check on them while I'm at work?  :wub:

Stamets said that mycelium are Mother Earth's internet..............I believe it.............

A

• MLBjammer, OldBear and tailsmcsnails like this

#91 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,354 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 March 2017 - 03:27 AM

Sorry, your casing layers on the tops looked like leftover vermiculite from the jars.  

No webcam, lol.  The fun part is coming home and seeing how they have grown.  Everybody loves surprises!

I don't know why RR pimps that shotgun chamber so much.  I can't tell you how many people have issues with it.  Maybe it was his idea or something?

Edited by MLBjammer, 15 March 2017 - 03:30 AM.

• coorsmikey, Microbe, peacefrog and 1 other like this

#92 tailsmcsnails

tailsmcsnails

mycochimp

• Gold VIP
  • 431 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 March 2017 - 04:54 AM

Sorry, your casing layers on the tops looked like leftover vermiculite from the jars.

No webcam, lol. The fun part is coming home and seeing how they have grown. Everybody loves surprises!

I don't know why RR pimps that shotgun chamber so much. I can't tell you how many people have issues with it. Maybe it was his idea or something?

There's more verm on top now, I wasn't sure how thick to make it.

The cakes are exploding with tiny knots and pins.

Best fun ever.
  • fahtster, MLBjammer, Arathu and 4 others like this

#93 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,354 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 March 2017 - 03:46 AM

That is what we like to hear.

Really happy for you :cool:

• tailsmcsnails likes this

#94 Triptomemes

Triptomemes

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 30 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 08:42 PM

Hey tails I just read your friends trip report :sad: , are your cakes going to be ok? 

#95 tailsmcsnails

tailsmcsnails

mycochimp

• Gold VIP
  • 431 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 March 2017 - 10:33 PM

Hey tails I just read your friends trip report :sad: , are your cakes going to be ok?

Yes I think so. I gave them a soak which they probably needed anyway, cleaned up allllll the perlite that was everyyyyyywhere, baked it in the oven and washed it in bleach, and set everything up again. I guess we will see! Thanks for asking.
  • Triptomemes likes this

#96 shoomer

shoomer

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 134 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 12:27 AM

Hitchin' up to watch the show.

​Liking what I'm seeing and it looks like we both started up around the same time so it makes it easy to see each other's results for time lines and such.

​Best of vibes to the grow!

#97 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

unnaturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,496 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 March 2017 - 10:03 AM

I little thicker won't hurt one bit.

Faht

That's what she said. Nailed it.

Edited by catattack, 19 March 2017 - 10:03 AM.

• fahtster and tailsmcsnails like this

#98 tailsmcsnails

tailsmcsnails

mycochimp

• Gold VIP
  • 431 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 March 2017 - 04:11 AM

Check out whitey! c8932c297f7bdaf6fca80cfc7494705e.jpg
  • Arathu, ChimX, wharfrat and 3 others like this

#99 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 4,068 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 March 2017 - 09:22 AM

Looks like two of them............very nice indeed!

A

#100 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,354 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 March 2017 - 11:32 AM

Those cakes are looking sweet, despite the nightmare you described about your tripping friend.
  • peacefrog and tailsmcsnails like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!