176 replies to this topic

#161 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 4,073 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 April 2017 - 09:13 AM

Tails.....exactly...I knew what you were saying. I had NO thoughts that you were in business with shrooms. But I can just hear the assholes of the world deliberately mis-interpreting it as a business buzz phrase such as that. That's corporate talk for "show me the money" if I give you this up front............ That's all I'm saying................ :biggrin: I'm old and paranoid (which is a great Black Sabbath tune and album by the way)

B4/1 just has "the look" circular growth with rhizome characteristics......if I were looking for fruits I'd try that one. Do it right on the plate and see if you can fruit it on the agar......So the answer: my hypothesis is that based on previous experience and intuition that's a nice sub-strain. A good test for that hypothesis would be to see if fruits on the agar in the pitri.......if so....expand and try some. 

Grain drives me batty too.............and I've wound up asking the exact same questions..............looks like mycelium but from what? I'm getting a much larger HEPA filter and blower very soon..........

• tailsmcsnails likes this

#162 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

unnaturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,509 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 April 2017 - 11:22 AM

What's the question?

#163 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 4,073 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 April 2017 - 11:57 AM

What's the question?

I just made an observation about semantics and language......... Tails said "(I've ordered 100 more petri dishes, at $1.50 each it would take a long time for small glass jars to show ROI. )" and I could see some jerk miss interpreting that as a commercial comment. 

Other than that I also said that I would try and grow out plate B4/1 and fruit on the agar just because intuition said "Do it man"..............  :biggrin: 

A

• tailsmcsnails likes this

#164 tailsmcsnails

tailsmcsnails

mycochimp

• Gold VIP
  • 431 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 April 2017 - 03:03 PM

What's the question?

My question was contaminated or mycelium?
@cat have a look on the previous page if you're on mobile too i posted more pics last night.

Edited by tailsmcsnails, 04 April 2017 - 03:07 PM.

#165 tailsmcsnails

tailsmcsnails

mycochimp

• Gold VIP
  • 431 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 April 2017 - 03:15 PM

Tails.....exactly...I knew what you were saying. I had NO thoughts that you were in business with shrooms. But I can just hear the assholes of the world deliberately mis-interpreting it as a business buzz phrase such as that. That's corporate talk for "show me the money" if I give you this up front............

Appreciated, I must admit thought I sounded pretty impressively adult when I said that , I can be a lil niave.

Thanks for explaining why you like that plate. I see what you mean. I was reading stamets the other day and crying to whoever would listen about my non rhiOmorphic looking babies.

#166 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 4,073 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 April 2017 - 04:27 PM

Tails.....exactly...I knew what you were saying. I had NO thoughts that you were in business with shrooms. But I can just hear the assholes of the world deliberately mis-interpreting it as a business buzz phrase such as that. That's corporate talk for "show me the money" if I give you this up front............

Appreciated, I must admit thought I sounded pretty impressively adult when I said that , I can be a lil niave.

Thanks for explaining why you like that plate. I see what you mean. I was reading stamets the other day and crying to whoever would listen about my non rhiOmorphic looking babies.

You might be amazed at what can be coaxed out of fuzzy (called tomentose) mycelium by successive transfer....even tomentose in a substrate will go rhizomorphic as can be seen in MS inoculations in PF Tek .......the ones that go rhizomorphic and aggressive on a plate of agar tend to be very good candidates for fruiting......obviously the ones that fruit on the agar are the head of the class....and still some others will stubbornly refuse no matter what. This becomes paramount skill when one begins capturing species from the wild and attempting to grow them out. With the time frames involved in woodlover work (as in years) it's imperative. I learned this stuff from Stamets books too............

• peacefrog and tailsmcsnails like this

#167 tailsmcsnails

tailsmcsnails

mycochimp

• Gold VIP
  • 431 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 April 2017 - 05:16 PM

You might be amazed at what can be coaxed out of fuzzy (called tomentose) mycelium by successive transfer....even tomentose in a substrate will go rhizomorphic as can be seen in MS inoculations in PF Tek .......the ones that go rhizomorphic and aggressive on a plate of agar tend to be very good candidates for fruiting......obviously the ones that fruit on the agar are the head of the class....and still some others will stubbornly refuse no matter what. This becomes paramount skill when one begins capturing species from the wild and attempting to grow them out. With the time frames involved in woodlover work (as in years) it's imperative. I learned this stuff from Stamets books too............

So fruiting on agar... how do you make that happen?  take off the lid?  

#168 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 4,073 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 April 2017 - 05:45 PM

Let it fully colonize the plate and watch for primordia to form..........no need to open the lid. 

You have all kinds of candidates to try this with.........

I'm getting ready to put a bunch of edibles on agar shortly so we'll see if I can get one to fruit for photographs....

Beat me to it tails...............  :biggrin: 

A

#169 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• OG VIP
  • 1,444 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 April 2017 - 06:14 PM

Still looking good, tails.

You are in good hands and getting some sound advice for sure. Keep going, as you will be a shining star of the OMC before you know it!
  • CatsAndBats and tailsmcsnails like this

#170 tailsmcsnails

tailsmcsnails

mycochimp

• Gold VIP
  • 431 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 April 2017 - 04:45 AM

Let it fully colonize the plate and watch for primordia to form..........no need to open the lid. 

You have all kinds of candidates to try this with.........

I'm getting ready to put a bunch of edibles on agar shortly so we'll see if I can get one to fruit for photographs....

Beat me to it tails...............  :biggrin:

A

I've seen pics on here of wee pins forming on agar, I just wasn't sure what triggered the fruiting.

So really I should transfer a snicket of that nice B4 one, let IT grow out on the plate and see if it fruits, right?  I shouldn't let the original one grow out, I should save it as a possible source of transfers?

#171 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

unnaturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,509 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 April 2017 - 08:09 AM

IME, anything that expresses itself on agar, ie fruiting on agar, super aggressive growth, etc, becomes excellent inoculant, and goes straight to grain. They will reward you.

https://mycotopia.ne...r-30/?p=1312587

• Arathu, peacefrog and tailsmcsnails like this

#172 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 4,073 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 April 2017 - 01:52 PM

Tails you've reached the point in your work where you need to write those questions down in your lab book and answer them empirically........

Given what you already have as far as plates I would grow out B4/1 as is just because I "feel" it. You've already taken transfers from it right...........with notes....so they don't get lost and mixed up.......... :biggrin:

Or you'll start to drive yourself crazy...................hahahahaha 

If it fruits on the agar or as Cat said shows crazy aggressive growth (both happen sometimes) you can still make transfers to new plates or milk it and go to grain ................. you got options

Did I mention making notes? :cool:

A

#173 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 4,073 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 April 2017 - 02:03 PM

I highly recommend this book............

http://www.fungi.com...-mushrooms.html

The information contained within it along with the work you're putting in and your experiences is invaluable.........

My copy is starting to get quite beat up..........

A

Edited by Arathu, 05 April 2017 - 02:04 PM.

• shoomer and tailsmcsnails like this

#174 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 4,073 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 April 2017 - 07:32 PM

motivation.jpg

For educational and motivational purposes from Stamets GGMM

A

• tailsmcsnails and jkdeth like this

#175 tailsmcsnails

tailsmcsnails

mycochimp

• Gold VIP
  • 431 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 April 2017 - 05:06 AM

guys thank you for the posts above which I haven't commented on but I'm listening.  I have that book too so I will get to it.  I get it now about the fruiting on agar and the aggressive growth, thanks.  I will let b4 go to fruiition, yes she has a milllion babies in lttle dishes of their own already.

#176 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

unnaturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,509 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 April 2017 - 09:17 AM

guys thank you for the posts above which I haven't commented on but I'm listening.  I have that book too so I will get to it.  I get it now about the fruiting on agar and the aggressive growth, thanks.  I will let b4 go to fruiition, yes she has a milllion babies in lttle dishes of their own already.

Wait what?

#177 tailsmcsnails

tailsmcsnails

mycochimp

• Gold VIP
  • 431 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 April 2017 - 01:33 PM

guys thank you for the posts above which I haven't commented on but I'm listening. I have that book too so I will get to it. I get it now about the fruiting on agar and the aggressive growth, thanks. I will let b4 go to fruiition, yes she has a milllion babies in lttle dishes of their own already.

Wait what?
Agar babies not fruit babies sorry

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!