#21 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,487 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 February 2017 - 04:06 PM

Archersmark , I need a Native Flute, could you make me one? I of course would pay.I need to learn to play though.

I like tripping alone , I used to prefer tripping with friends but at 57 I got few tripping friends.

I have some ideas from other posts about getting a friend or more to go camping or fishing overnight and trip with them.

Most of my recent trips were done at home. I should be doing them outdoors and maybe camping.
  • MLBjammer and Arathu like this

#22 archersmark

archersmark

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 138 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 04:28 PM

Archersmark , I need a Native Flute, could you make me one? I of course would pay.I need to learn to play though.

I like tripping alone , I used to prefer tripping with friends but at 57 I got few tripping friends.

I have some ideas from other posts about getting a friend or more to go camping or fishing overnight and trip with them.

Most of my recent trips were done at home. I should be doing them outdoors and maybe camping.

I would, but I actually haven't made flutes for over 2 decades now.  Back then there were just a handful of us across the US, that was before the internet and e-commerce, so it was slow going selling them.  Now a quick google search and I'm astounded at how many people make flutes these days.  I don't have the tools for it anyways and too many other hobbies like this one.  If you buy one, don't pay more than $100 and preferably much less, and get a red cedar one if you are okay with the cedar smell.  They are traditional and resonate really well, hardwood flutes can sound shrill and uninviting.  Good luck.  If you have the inclination, you could always make one.  Here is a kit from Etsy, the price can't be beat: https://www.etsy.com...e-flute-native I made my first 30 or so flutes by hand, carving out the inner chambers with a hand gouge and glueing the two halves together

• Arathu and Heirloom like this

#23 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• Black VIP
  • 10,151 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 February 2017 - 04:50 PM

I had a small bamboo flute that I was given as a gift.  I think it may have been bought at a craft fair.  I carried it with me for some years and took it into the wild always.  It wound up cracking, and never sounded right again.  I figured out how the holes and inner segment separations had been burned out with a hot steel rod, and I tried repeatedly to make another one by copying the one I had.  I could never get all the notes to sound right.  I could get some, but never all.   I wondered how someone ever made the one I had... what they knew.   I could see the char around the holes and that's how I figured out how they were done. 

Can you tell me anything more, Archersmark?

• Heirloom likes this

#24 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,487 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 February 2017 - 08:20 PM

I often think those who came before us were much smarter than we are today.
  • ChimX likes this

#25 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,223 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 February 2017 - 12:00 AM

Trout fishing for a four day weekend...........2nd afternoon low and behold along the stream some babies growing...(spring time trout fishing).......I grabbed a large fresh ovoid from a log........A meaty dwarf with intense smell and shape........and so there among them made my camp and a fire and then I met many of the local forest spirits through the night. It was a big mushroom and the fresh taste/smell/sensation was an undeniable melding of the spirits.......a communication on a level way beyond what others will ever experience and certainly one will not soon forget IMHO. The following day trout fishing was even better than the previous two................That night was incredible. There is something dazzling about dancing firelight in the forests alone (yeah right ALONE) hahahahahaha Even the critters that come to check you out seem to know................hell some talk............ next time I'll take my flute with me..........

A

What kind of flute Arathu?  I used to make native american flutes a long time ago :)

Eastern NAF as a matter of fact Archer, that I made myself from oak and also a fujara (6 ft tall copy of a Slovak traditional shepherd overtone flute made out of PVC pipe) that I made with the help of the internet, a dude that I met in a group, and some ethnic research as well.

A

• archersmark likes this

#26 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,223 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 February 2017 - 12:17 AM

I had a small bamboo flute that I was given as a gift.  I think it may have been bought at a craft fair.  I carried it with me for some years and took it into the wild always.  It wound up cracking, and never sounded right again.  I figured out how the holes and inner segment separations had been burned out with a hot steel rod, and I tried repeatedly to make another one by copying the one I had.  I could never get all the notes to sound right.  I could get some, but never all.   I wondered how someone ever made the one I had... what they knew.   I could see the char around the holes and that's how I figured out how they were done. 

It is an art indeed......I used a calculator online for hole placement and got instructions online too...then tuned it one by one the first time out. I'm not a flute maker by trade but I suppose I could be................ 

carving out the inner chambers with a hand gouge and glueing the two halves together

Yep...that's how I made my fipples...........but the throat I routed and others just cheated and used PVC..............

A

• archersmark likes this

#27 archersmark

archersmark

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 138 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 12:51 PM

yeah, bamboo will crack like that. Was it side-blown or end-blown? This wikipedia page has some good pictures of cutaways, as does the flutopedia page

https://en.wikipedia..._American_flute

http://flutopedia.com/faq.htm

All the flutes I made were end-blown and looked very similar to this one:

FPanatomy_partsD_RGB_080dpi_dswhite_c00s00.jpg

so if you are getting sound out when all the holes are uncovered and the tone is steady and doesn't crack, then your plug/flue/ramp and splitting edge are aligned properly.  From here, when you cover each finger hole in turn from closest to the fipple https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fipple the tone should be lower and lower without "cracking" and should sound like the notes in a scale.  So you want to cover hold #1 then #2 (while keep #1 covered), then #3 (while #1 and #2 remain covered) and so on and so forth.  My flutes were 6 finger hole, some are 5, especially Japanese shakuhachis.  When you cover the last hole it should change tone and still sound in tune, but here is where there are common issues.  If that LAST hole sounds off-key, i.e. when all finger holes covered sounds out of tune with the other notes, it's because the flute is tuned incorrectly.   I wish I had the resources available now (great info on the internet) back in the early 90's when I was figuring out how to make these.

Here is a cool video of some dude showing how to tune a flute

https://www.youtube....h?v=hWHiMn7bs-k

Anyways, I didn't know any of this back then.  The issue for my flutes being out of tune was always due to the distance between the last finger hole and the direction holes or end of flute being off.   Using this cutaway as a reference:

FPanatomy_compositeMaker_RGB_080dpi_dswhite_c00s00.jpg

the distance between the plug/splitting edge and the first hole is the EXACT SAME distance between the last hole and the direction holes, 13cm.   And I would make the distance between the finger holes the same, I just measured an old flute and the distance between finger holes was 3cm.    Anytime I had an off sounding flute, it was because I messed up the distance between that last hole and the end of the flute or the direction holes if I had them. 

I hope this helps!

• Skywatcher likes this

#28 archersmark

archersmark

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 138 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 12:58 PM

I never thought I'd hear another person use the word "fipple" let alone know what it is and how to carve one! 

Here are some flutes I made over 20 years ago!

Scan 4.jpeg

• Arathu and Skywatcher like this

#29 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,223 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 February 2017 - 01:12 PM

Awesome..........I gotta go to work................... damn it! :meditate:

A

#30 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• Black VIP
  • 10,151 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 February 2017 - 04:04 PM

It was a bit like this, but I wasn't exactly like that:

gallery_131808_1351_1614.jpg

#31 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,223 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 February 2017 - 10:11 AM

small_GEDC9741.jpg

My ENAF made from Oak

https://www.youtube....h?v=8VFlS_dHWPA

For what ever reason I can't embed YouTube here.............in any case this is a link to a fujara video

Nice work Archer! Tuning is definitely science blended with art.......................

A

Edited by Arathu, 18 February 2017 - 10:33 AM.

• Skywatcher likes this

#32 riseabovethought

riseabovethought

innerspace explorer

• App Administrator
  • 3,857 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 February 2017 - 12:29 PM

Telepathy

[Direct Link]

[Direct Link]

Edited by riseabovethought, 18 February 2017 - 12:45 PM.

• Arathu likes this

#33 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,223 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 February 2017 - 12:32 PM

I'll have to watch these tonight after work.....................

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!