Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

How do you get a perfectly clean spore print.

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 Fresh Brewed

Fresh Brewed

Seeker

• OG VIP
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 07:47 AM

I have built printing jars to solve the sterile spores anxiety. Inside, near the top, of a wide mouth canning jar I applied three “prongs” of silicon. After dry I made a circular wire frame that was able to rest on the prongs. In the bottom of the jar I placed a few little pieces of metal that I knew to be ferrous and the lid to be ultimately used on the printing jar had two silicone covered ports. When the printing jars was sterilized I covered it with a normal lid and sterilized the ported lid on another jar(just to keep its underside sterile.

All this allowed me to have in place, when I had a cap ready to print, a prepared sterile method to preserve it. Open print jar, place cap on the frame, cover with tyvek(to allow the cap to dehumidify), when satisfied with the print on the bottom of the jar remove wire frame and cap together and place the still sterile ported lid on the printing jar...sterile spores in a jar that you can add solution to and can be unstuck from the bottom of the jar with a magnet from outside!

A LOT of work! Especially considering most people have success doing SO much less. BUT, it is GREAT at alleviating “STERILE SPORE ANXIETY”
  • phlegmbae, OysterFarmer, CatsAndBats and 1 other like this

#22 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

[^._.^]ノ彡 & /|\( ;,;)/|\

• OG VIP
  • 8,458 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 October 2017 - 08:33 AM

I have built printing jars to solve the sterile spores anxiety. Inside, near the top, of a wide mouth canning jar I applied three “prongs” of silicon. After dry I made a circular wire frame that was able to rest on the prongs. In the bottom of the jar I placed a few little pieces of metal that I knew to be ferrous and the lid to be ultimately used on the printing jar had two silicone covered ports. When the printing jars was sterilized I covered it with a normal lid and sterilized the ported lid on another jar(just to keep its underside sterile.

All this allowed me to have in place, when I had a cap ready to print, a prepared sterile method to preserve it. Open print jar, place cap on the frame, cover with tyvek(to allow the cap to dehumidify), when satisfied with the print on the bottom of the jar remove wire frame and cap together and place the still sterile ported lid on the printing jar...sterile spores in a jar that you can add solution to and can be unstuck from the bottom of the jar with a magnet from outside!

A LOT of work! Especially considering most people have success doing SO much less. BUT, it is GREAT at alleviating “STERILE SPORE ANXIETY”

Very good! I like the tyvek to allow for drying.

#23 OysterFarmer

OysterFarmer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 455 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 07:04 PM

I haven't given up on the method.  It has merrit but obviously I have to work out some kinks.  I think there is a possibility the infection came from the original liquid culture itself.  Could be my box or the room too though.

I guess I'm getting spoiled now that I have had luck growing my own.  I don't think I've bought shrooms in over ten years.  I like the ease of just one needle poke then you can leave the jar up on a warm shelf and forget about it.  It can take a month or two to colonize though.

Just make sure you don't forget about them too long then you go to look and you've got a half dozen jars starting to sprout on you.  The flushes last quite a while longer than the regular bulk bin method.SAM_9264.JPG SAM_9264.JPG

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!