203 replies to this topic

#61 Nsnail

Nsnail

Slug

• Free Member
  • 353 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 02:38 PM

IMG_6149.JPG
Signs of germination with this pink pompom strain!

Anyone that's used these peat pellets before know if it's a good idea to remove the netting before transplanting?

#62 fungi2bwith

fungi2bwith

cat-monkey

• OG VIP
  • 1,564 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 March 2017 - 05:32 PM

leave the netting on, the goal is to not disturb the roots as much as possible....I've had 97% failure transplanting poppies......and 75% success with direct sowing....The 25% failure was due to lack of sunlight where they were planted.....they flowered, just really tiny flowers....

Edited by fungi2bwith, 16 March 2017 - 05:35 PM.

#63 scott_1971_h

scott_1971_h

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,552 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 March 2017 - 05:38 PM

Yes I'd leave the netting on. Sometimes I use the jiffy pots (cardboard/peat germinating pots) for poppies because then the roots just grow right thru the pot.

#64 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,702 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 March 2017 - 09:56 AM

I apologize ahead of time if this has already been covered, but I do not have the time to comb through this thread:

Should one's seed starting mix reflect the final soil to sand/coir ratio?

Is it wise or unwise to allow the roots to completely form into a nice compact ball before transplanting? Like so the whole thing just pops out?

Are 5 gallon buckets enough to grow indoors? I've only ever done "neglect tek" outside. :tongue:

Any input is greatly appreciated.

• Heirloom and scott_1971_h like this

#65 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,631 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 March 2017 - 01:43 PM

I will give my thoughts though I am a novice.

The starting mix doesn't have to be the same you are going to transplant into, though if might make transplanting less stressful.

I for sure would not try to "pop out" the transplant. The poppy roots are weak
when compared to most plants. I start transplants in Styrofoam cups then make a hole and cut off the bottom of the cup and down the sides to gently slide the cup off.

5 gallon is plenty for a container grow.

I will get some pics up after I transplant from a very small foam cup into a container.

Heres a hydro grow from a page or 2 back to give an idea of what to expect from an indoor grow.

http://growopium.tum...roponic-poppies
  • shoomer, CatsAndBats and Nsnail like this

#66 Nsnail

Nsnail

Slug

• Free Member
  • 353 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 04:08 PM

Another method to try if you have a lot of seeds germinate is gently scoop under the sprout using a spoon without disturbing the roots and transplant to soil with an equal sized 'scoop' missing from it. Emphasis on gentle since any root disturbance seems to stunt growth.

The styrofoam idea sounds promising. You can also make your own soil planter cubes pretty easily (check YouTube) however I had poor luck germinating on those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Skywatcher and CatsAndBats like this

#67 fungi2bwith

fungi2bwith

cat-monkey

• OG VIP
  • 1,564 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 March 2017 - 01:13 AM

One would think that the expanding peat pellets would work better than most anything....as far as transplanting goes....

• CatsAndBats likes this

#68 scott_1971_h

scott_1971_h

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,552 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 March 2017 - 05:15 AM

5 gal would be plenty.

I'm great at the neglect tek, too. I've never tried growing them indoors for a full season, they need WAY WAY WAY too much light (but I have started them indoors for the ones i want to sample early)

I think any decent potting mix should do the trick. Except for transplanting shock, I've found PS fairly 'adaptable'. Put a seed where you want a plant. Simples.

I have got some to "Mature Transplant", I grew some in a 14cm pot and transplanted when the roots were at the bottom, but I was ultra gentle and careful. Doing that on a large scale would be impossible.

• Skywatcher and CatsAndBats like this

#69 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,631 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 March 2017 - 02:29 PM

A few pod pics from a few years ago. I have ingested all these pods, a few at a time then a lot . I got a lot of pics and have been deleting them.
|

Attached Thumbnails

• 322 (1024x768).jpg
  • 11915 373 (1024x768).jpg
  • 11915 377 (1024x768).jpg

• fungi2bwith, CatsAndBats and Nsnail like this

#70 Nsnail

Nsnail

Slug

• Free Member
  • 353 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 02:08 PM

Here's a few seedlings that I transplanted from a pot to a little hand tilled section. They grew a little since yesterday when I did it so I'm praying I didn't stunt them.
IMG_6226.JPG
Gonna transplant more to a sunnier spot today.
  • Heirloom likes this

#71 fungi2bwith

fungi2bwith

cat-monkey

• OG VIP
  • 1,564 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 April 2017 - 01:13 PM

update.

IMG_20170414_110144764.jpg

IMG_20170414_110219434.jpg

• Skywatcher, Heirloom and Nsnail like this

#72 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,631 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 April 2017 - 04:27 PM

First one is Pepper Box second one's are Danish Flag.

Attached Thumbnails

• AApoppy 001.JPG
  • AApoppy 002.JPG

• Skywatcher and Nsnail like this

#73 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,554 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 April 2017 - 08:36 PM

I'm jealous... it just snowed again here... give up winter! Lol

#74 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,631 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 April 2017 - 09:32 PM

thanks I feel lucky to have them

#75 Neptunechild

Neptunechild

Cactus Wizard

• OG VIP
  • 688 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 April 2017 - 08:09 PM

Namaste

I had them transplanted the first time when they were 2 weeks old and 3 weeks ago I transplanted them again.

The plants in the single pots were cultivated indoors after the first transplanting. So for more than a month it was 18h of fluorescent light daily. Now they get 18h of hps-light until I have to take them out for my next ganjah project.
The plants in the big pot were cultivated outdoors after transplanting. I will keep them under the lights now aswell.

I think I still have about 3 weeks left. I just sowed cannabis seeds and if everything goes right, I want to send the cannabis into flowering in 3 weeks. I think the poppys can profit a lot the next 3 weeks. I will def. repot the single ones into bigger pots before I put them outdoors. I did not decide whatever to repot the ones in the big pot aswell or just leave it like that...

IMG_20170425_004839.jpg IMG_20170425_004834.jpg IMG_20170425_005029.jpg

• Heirloom and Nsnail like this

#76 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,631 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 April 2017 - 08:52 PM

Neptune nice plants. What variety name are they?

#77 Neptunechild

Neptunechild

Cactus Wizard

• OG VIP
  • 688 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 April 2017 - 12:00 AM

Namaste

Zahir & Peshawar from Strictly Medicinal Seeds. One is white the other is purple :)

• Heirloom likes this

#78 Nsnail

Nsnail

Slug

• Free Member
  • 353 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 01:03 AM

Those look great Neptune. I'm curious your method of transplanting

#79 Neptunechild

Neptunechild

Cactus Wizard

• OG VIP
  • 688 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 April 2017 - 01:44 AM

Namaste

I don't understand the confusing inputs many spread in the internet about repotting Poppys and Mandrake aswell.

For some reason, transplanting Poppys in my opinion is no bigger task than transplanting anything else.

I wait until the pots dry a bit but not completely. I squeze the pots a little and take the seedlings out with a spoon.
I get rid of as much as of the old soil as possible so they are bare root. Then I replant them very carefully into the new pots and try to not damage any roots.

IF I repot the ones you see in the picture, I will def. document it.

I did however take pictures of how I repotted Mandrake, which many claim to be difficult to transplant. But it's not.
check it out here

Edited by Neptunechild, 25 April 2017 - 01:45 AM.

• Skywatcher and Nsnail like this

#80 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,934 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 April 2017 - 08:57 AM

My experience with poppies is the less you touch the roots, the better. Fortunately they produce seeds in such abundance, that I can be less concerned with every one surviving. I sow about 5-8 seeds in a Kurig cup. When they are all up. I move the whole soil contents to a bigger pot, or a section of an amended grow box. I use topsoil, with amendments so there is plenty of good fuel for the season.

After 3-4 days after transplant, I start cutting off the weakest sprouts and leaving the strongest. If at all possible, I will pot up without disturbing roots. Anytime I have tried to transplant by separating and carefully pulling apart, I have lost most if not all, unlike Neptune who seems able to succeed with that. I do believe Neptune could even grow an old stick in the dirt if he so wanted............... :tongue:

Starts are looking good all. Good grow vibes to you. I will not be planting poppies myself this year.

Edited by Skywatcher, 25 April 2017 - 03:59 PM.

• Heirloom and Nsnail like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!