• Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

#21 BigTexas

BigTexas

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 51 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 12:34 PM

If you notice, there is just the edge of a shot glass in one of the photos - LOL

I keep the tools standing in alcohol until I'm ready to flame sterilize. 

Then I rest them on the edges of the shot glass to cool in the airstream. 

Great minds all think alike. 

Also, I use a soldering torch for flame sterilization. It gets that metal red-hot pretty quick. And if you've shaken off all the alcohol, you're less likely to set the plastic scalpel handles on fire. 

I'm impressed by the clay working tool set. Never seen anything like it. Thanks for sharing.........everyone........and welcome to the party BigTexas. You're fitting right in already. 

For my last tip and trick:

I too, use surgical scalpels. I re-use them over and over. The blades get smutty over time.

The smut can be polished off with a scotch-brite pad and some comet. It leaves the blades shiny and new in case you forget to remove them from the alcohol bath one day and come back to find them corroded or rusty. 

Thats awesome! figured it was common. lol

Hobby lobby also has a clay carving kits more $$ though, I think they have a loop in theirs. I was just walking through the store and spotted those, and asked myself why would I NOT get these? Got tired of plastic/wood handled tools really quick. These are made from 420HC stainless steel and wont rust. 

#22 whitethumb

whitethumb

poisoned beauties

• OG VIP
  • 941 posts

Donator

Posted 25 February 2017 - 01:30 PM

big texas, i wonder if you're anywhere near me.

cool little thread you've got here. i prefer my scalpel!
  • peacefrog likes this

#23 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

unnaturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,508 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 February 2017 - 01:39 PM

All my exes live in Texas

#24 BigTexas

BigTexas

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 51 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 01:50 PM

BigTexas was my CB handle, I was born in texas but im living in colorado. Here for the MMJ lol 

#25 425nm

425nm

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 61 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 02:25 PM

I retract my statement about spores not germinating. Turns out I do have growth on some of the plates but it's next to impossible to see without the aid of sunlight. I now fully appreciate the utility of dying germination plates blue.

I to use a reuse scalpels until and have used a blow torch for flame sterilization. Until I made myself a nice little alcohol lamp from a mason jar, cotton string, a washer, and the end of a pen:
7f7574ddf4565643c09a576e65b57ab1.jpg

I remember reading on a different thread about a vegetable peeler someone had modified by clipping the blade on one end and bending it so they had a scythe they could scalp plates with. Definitely going to be making one of those.
  • fuzzyfunguy likes this

#26 fuzzyfunguy

fuzzyfunguy

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 216 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 02:02 AM

This may seem obvious but have you waited over a week for the spores to germinate? Sometimes it takes awhile, it took about 5 days I think for these to germinate.

Sent from my SM-G900T1 using Tapatalk

#27 fuzzyfunguy

fuzzyfunguy

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 216 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 02:07 AM

So these are some of the first transfer plates:79f54282bbc4246de77402979ad249d9.jpg9de107948ec05be5ac30faafc98dcc8a.jpg9ea4e3b56fffca9f7bf0be8d1842148a.jpgd540e15a65f4e66e350f06ee4fbaeea7.jpg592b8622e81801f8dc90c5507f7e0a05.jpg
bcb090e4fc3501c4f1e0be397ccab0ed.jpg
These pictures were taken about 15 hours ago so I will take more pictures when I check them out in the morning, they should be a lot easier to see then. So far it's looking good though, I have a feeling I may be able to get some stronger growths going from some of these, fingers crossed!

• Arathu and peacefrog like this

#28 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• OG VIP
  • 1,444 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 February 2017 - 03:37 AM

Yes sometimes it takes more than a week to germinate. I have seen very fresh spores germinate in as little as 2-3 days. I have also seen spores take 10-15 days to finally germinate. It just depends on a few factors, those plates look very good so far. I look forward to your progress with them.
  • MLBjammer, Arathu and fuzzyfunguy like this

#29 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 4,073 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 February 2017 - 06:50 PM

Yes sir....looking great! Let those come out some and see what you got................I see a few to keep eyes on right from the get go............ :meditate:

A

• fuzzyfunguy likes this

#30 fuzzyfunguy

fuzzyfunguy

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 216 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 04:22 PM

Looks like my most promising culture got a cobweb contamination, no worries I will clean this up!
1f40904058c825120f7d123423bd82b0.jpg

• Arathu likes this

#31 Microbe

Microbe

Citizen scientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,612 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 March 2017 - 06:27 PM

Transfer it from the 3 o'clock position. You can clean that up easily.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk
  • Arathu and fuzzyfunguy like this

#32 fuzzyfunguy

fuzzyfunguy

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 216 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 07:10 PM

Well apparently I fucked up because the transfers I did from that plate all contamed and I didn't get to them in time, they all grew everywhere on the plate but I think I still have the original one in the fridge, either way I have some 3rd transfers growing rn as well as some other ms plates from other strains. I will let you guys know as soon as something pops out.

#33 Microbe

Microbe

Citizen scientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,612 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 March 2017 - 07:45 PM

Well apparently I fucked up because the transfers I did from that plate all contamed and I didn't get to them in time, they all grew everywhere on the plate but I think I still have the original one in the fridge, either way I have some 3rd transfers growing rn as well as some other ms plates from other strains. I will let you guys know as soon as something pops out.

When cleaning up a dirty culture it is critical to immediately grab the culture after it recovers and begins to grow out across the agar surface at the leading edge and leaving behind all the nutrient media behind from the transfer.

I prefer to leave behind all the nutrient media and in my case that is typically agar and use a nichrome loop or a single strain of nichrome wire.

Its typically not worth cleaning up a culture but there are unique circumstances for every cultivator that may dictate that they choose to take risk and clean up a culture rather it be economically driven, acquiring a skill set, no back up of a proven culture, rare strain and etc but my point there is risk and at some point a decision needs to be made on rather or not it is practical to continue investing and potentially wasting resources.
  • Arathu, fuzzyfunguy and tailsmcsnails like this

#34 fuzzyfunguy

fuzzyfunguy

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 216 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 09:16 AM

I'm having a problem with how much water is in my dishes, I,assume from the condensation. It's to the point where the cultures can't grow out very far without being submerged. Any suggestions on how to fix this? Also what is your grain spawn of choice? Does anyone use organic grain spawn and if so from where? I've gone through about 140 cultures and I have yet to isolate a really rhyzomorphic strain, the ones in the picture are some of the strongest looking ones, it's kind of dissheartening, perhaps I need to clone a fruit body to get stronger looking mycelium?cb7c4c2be8f46582c8f21b136bc567ee.jpg8b230e353da33fe9e01833314ed7c9b6.jpg9bdec9e1c55aec641bfe8838876244da.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

#35 sandman

sandman

Essence of Gypsum

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,912 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 April 2017 - 12:47 PM

The growth looks kinda faint and light, maybe change up your agar recipe or water type.

• Microbe and fuzzyfunguy like this

#36 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

unnaturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,508 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 April 2017 - 01:13 PM

The growth looks kinda faint and light, maybe change up your agar recipe or water type.

Agreed, looks very light on nutrition.

#37 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 4,073 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 April 2017 - 01:50 PM

I agree...food.......they want food............ I've grow mycelial mats on agar..........but I like to use BRF for nutrition with Catatives for conditioning...........

do not get discouraged....you're learning.......we ALL are...........

I have to get me some pyrex............. :cool: .............Cause plastic melts in a PC.........hahahaha

A

• CatsAndBats and fuzzyfunguy like this

#38 fuzzyfunguy

fuzzyfunguy

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 216 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 11:43 AM

Okay, I'll try a more potent agar solution

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

#39 sandman

sandman

Essence of Gypsum

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,912 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 April 2017 - 01:19 PM

distilled water too

#40 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

unnaturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,508 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 April 2017 - 01:50 PM

distilled water too

Why? I mean I could see using it to eliminate variables, but I think the trace minerals would be beneficial. I use distilled for hydrating monotubs and general misting, but tap for the grain soak.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!