Microbe

Citizen Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 3,006 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 April 2017 - 01:50 PM

distilled water too

I actually find that using straight tap water works better for me. The mineral content such as calcium, magnesium and potassium are very benificial to mycelium. This of course will very by water source as well.

#42 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

[^._.^]ノ彡 & /|\( ;,;)/|\

• OG VIP
  • 8,512 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 April 2017 - 01:53 PM

distilled water too

I actually find that using straight tap water works better for me. The mineral content such as calcium, magnesium and potassium are very benificial to mycelium. This of course will very by water source as well.

I just said that, great minds... :biggrin:

Plus there's probably something to mycelium's ability to break down chlorine and fluoride to more easily manageable (safer) chemicals. 

Edited by CatsAndBats, 15 April 2017 - 01:56 PM.

• Microbe likes this

#43 fuzzyfunguy

fuzzyfunguy

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 224 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 02:09 PM

distilled water too

I've been using distilled water.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
  • CatsAndBats likes this

#44 sandman

sandman

Essence of Gypsum

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,962 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 April 2017 - 02:57 PM

I use nothing but RO water, distilled for agar and LC if I have it but at least RO.

Mushrooms are like 250% water so I use only pure water. Also My tap water is hot garbage, 300ppm and about 8-9 pH. 

Edited by sandman, 15 April 2017 - 03:01 PM.

• spunforfun and CatsAndBats like this

#45 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

[^._.^]ノ彡 & /|\( ;,;)/|\

• OG VIP
  • 8,512 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 April 2017 - 03:22 PM

Also My tap water is hot garbage, 300ppm and about 8-9 pH. 

ewwwwwwwwwwwwww, gross. No wonder you use distilled..

• sandman likes this

#46 spunforfun

spunforfun

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 148 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 03:40 PM

I don't trust the tap water where I live. To many unknown variables imho. I use distilled. How you been sandman?
  • sandman likes this

#47 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,202 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 April 2017 - 06:02 PM

I use my well water for all my mushroom and gardening work now...it's hard, with a ton of iron in it, and the fungi go nuts.................

A

• Microbe, CatsAndBats and fuzzyfunguy like this

#48 fuzzyfunguy

fuzzyfunguy

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 224 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 06:53 PM

What can I do to lessen the condensation that eventually pools on the surface of the agar?

#49 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

Distinguished Mad Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,722 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 April 2017 - 07:53 PM

Perhaps use slants? Then you could tip them and allow the water to go to one end, and the rizomes grow up towards the opening.

I realize you have an investment in dishes, but with slants you can pack more into your flow hood.

This is a great thread in any event, can't wait to build my own hood!

Edited by SteampunkScientist, 17 April 2017 - 07:53 PM.

• fuzzyfunguy likes this

#50 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

[^._.^]ノ彡 & /|\( ;,;)/|\

• OG VIP
  • 8,512 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 April 2017 - 08:18 PM

What can I do to lessen the condensation that eventually pools on the surface of the agar?

When you pull your agar jars out of the PC, store them upside down, keep them upside down in the SAB/ clean area, and when you open them, flip the lid while keeping the jars upside down.

https://mycotopia.ne...r-30/?p=1314816

• Arathu, fuzzyfunguy and tailsmcsnails like this

#51 sandman

sandman

Essence of Gypsum

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,962 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 April 2017 - 01:13 AM

Agar plates shouldnt have any or very little condensation. There are a few key points to get good "dry" plates

• Wait until the agar is not blazing hot before you pour. You'll eventually get the hang of where it starts to gel on you as you are pouring, meaning too cool. As long as you can pour all your plates before this happens.
  • Pour/cool in a stack, one stack if possible. This keeps the lids warm as it cools preventing most condensation. 
  • Let the stack harden in your flowhood uncovered unwrapped, just sitting there an hour or two.
  • Don't pour agar in a cold room
  • Store/colonize your plates in as consistent temp as possible.

Edited by sandman, 18 April 2017 - 01:16 AM.

• ChimX, CatsAndBats, fuzzyfunguy and 1 other like this

#52 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

[^._.^]ノ彡 & /|\( ;,;)/|\

• OG VIP
  • 8,512 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 April 2017 - 07:43 AM

Not to take anything away from @sandman's perennially superior advice, but If I remember correctly @fuzzy does no pour like @peacefrog and myself. Can't really stack them to effectively retain the heat as one would do with petri dishes,  but can apply the long slow cool off in the PC.

We talk about it on my old agar thread starting here: https://mycotopia.ne...gain/?p=1273600

#53 sandman

sandman

Essence of Gypsum

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,962 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 April 2017 - 08:16 AM

I do not like no pour agar. Using petris is a scientific standard and the proper way to do it. There are a couple of reasons

• viewability
  • condensation
  • ability to cut what you actually want at any angle
  • consistency 
  • I'm really into bullet points lately

• Microbe, fuzzyfunguy and tailsmcsnails like this

#54 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

[^._.^]ノ彡 & /|\( ;,;)/|\

• OG VIP
  • 8,512 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 April 2017 - 10:07 AM

<p>

I do not like no pour agar. Using petris is a scientific standard and the proper way to do it. There are a couple of reasons

• viewability
  • condensation
  • ability to cut what you actually want at any angle
  • consistency
  • I'm really into bullet points lately

You say tomato I say tomato

[Direct Link]

"I'm really into bullet points"

I almost spit out my coffee, well done.
  • fuzzyfunguy likes this

#55 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,202 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 April 2017 - 09:57 AM

I'm being a smart ass here on purpose...................... :biggrin:

1. Little flat jelly jars work great and are reusable thus reducing the production of refuse (so too are proper Pyrex pitri's)
  2. Little flat jelly jars are easily accessible to most amateur cultivators at their local stores (not that pitri dishes are difficult to come by mail order)
  3. No pour agar works very well and allows one to obtain more than acceptable results repeatedly thus "proper" is subjective
  4. Consistency is in fact obtainable using things other than pitri dishes "see the identification of proper as subjective"
  5. Not all people have finances and or space to build "proper" laboratories with flow hoods and clean rooms
  6. Numbered lists are better than bullet points

Next list:

1. Viewability is indeed way better with pitri dishes
  2. The ease of use to cut and also test reactions to substrates is greater using pirtri's
  3. Condensation is definitely more technique and practice than container type IME (I use both but claim no expertise in anything)
  4. Consistency is also a result of practice and the level of proficiency an individual cultivates in themselves
  5. I'm using numbered list to show other ways of accomplishing the same thing (and I'm being sarcastic simultaneously)
  6. :tongue: I just wanted to blow a raspberry in a numbered list and discovered that the editor software reacts different if an emoticon is used in numbered list

Long term experiments and storage of cultures are quite possible using jelly jars

I will find a fruiting g. frondosa using these methods regardless of things "proper" (if I could add a white wigged snooty English tone here I would)

NOTE: I'm a rebellious son of a bitch and one would probably do well to listen to the mainstream scientists..........

Yes I have a few new sleeves of pitri's for upcoming work....

I challenge the establishment on a regular basis......just because I like to see if their prescription medications actually work for them.....

I have been called an asshole, more than once, and fully accept such assessments as constructive criticism or a call out to a fight...either works for me as long as there's beer afterwards

:cool:

A

Attached Thumbnails

• small_GEDC0347.jpg
  • small_GEDC0345.jpg

Edited by Arathu, 19 April 2017 - 10:14 AM.

• sandman and ChimX like this

#56 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,202 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 April 2017 - 09:58 AM

Remove

Edited by Arathu, 19 April 2017 - 10:11 AM.

#57 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,202 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 April 2017 - 09:58 AM

remove

Edited by Arathu, 19 April 2017 - 10:11 AM.

#58 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,202 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 April 2017 - 10:00 AM

remove

Edited by Arathu, 19 April 2017 - 10:12 AM.

#59 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,202 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 April 2017 - 10:03 AM

remove

Edited by Arathu, 19 April 2017 - 10:12 AM.

#60 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,202 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 April 2017 - 10:06 AM

ADMIN...remove the second post and warn people NOT to use an emoticon in a numbered list (or at least add this test case to the regression test specification) s......... WIN-8 running Firefox 52.0.2 (32 bit)

Holy shit it posted it four times..................my bad! Please remove the last four................... :biggrin: Now I'm wondering if I have FED's in my box..............

A

Edited by Arathu, 19 April 2017 - 10:13 AM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!