Continuing on my quest to get a fruitful bounty on bulk grows with manure.
First time I failed completely. Stalled mycelium after spawning, never recovered.
Second time the mycelium stalled for a few days but then recovered after introduction of a lot of fresh air.
Turns out I was pasteurizing at too low temperature. My oven thermostat is off. I figured out I need to set it to 220 to get a real life temp of 160. There was probably some invisible bacterial thing that was stronger than the mycelium. Until the fresh air came in.
Harvest was still underwhelming on this second grow because of 3 reasons probably.
1. sub depth was only 2 inches.. not enough water and food to pump out fat ones
2. added heat created a lot of condensation that pooled at the bottom of the fruiting chamber.. drying out the tray that the mushies were growing in. My setup is a deep tray inside a larger tub. any condensation on the walls runs down to the bottom of the larger tub and pools there. I also provide gentle bottom heat. My house in winter is always around 62 degrees. I have to wear sweaters to be comfortable inside. This temperature differential creates a lot of condensation.
3. bad pasteurization and maybe low spawn ratio made the spawn run take a long time. time that the sub was losing water.
Things I want to fix:
Shorten overall time from spawning to fruiting so that not so much water is sucked out of the substrate. Do this by increasing spawn to sub ratio, pasteurizing properly, and covering with aluminum foil during spawn run.
Thing I want to test:
I am curious if I really do need to heat my tubs even in a house that's at 62 degrees. I have two tubs going and will heat one of them during fruiting and not heat the other one during fruiting.
pics are always nice
deep tray (4 to 5 inch sub depth) covered in foil. there are two overlapping sheets of foil in the middle. it's actually a huge gap for air exchange. also holes poked on the edges, and I cut a little window for observation. It seems to me that there are plenty of openings for gasses to diffuse in and out of sub. Im open to comments or criticisms.
48 hours after spawning... mycelium looks happy!! Looking waaay better than the last time I tried this with shitty pasteurization technique.