Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

redboy bulk grow from spores, improved pasteurization, testing added heat or no added heat

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

detective dorkasaurus

• OG VIP
  • 7,719 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 March 2017 - 10:18 AM

I'm curious about your weather stripping process for the lids. My last tub was horribly infested with fungus gnats and I'm sure they got in through the lid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These already have the weather stripping on the lid:

https://www.walmart....-Clear/38345583

89d7adb5-22d1-44b7-8cb9-7278cd78af7f_1.9

Edited by catattack, 22 March 2017 - 10:19 AM.

• Heirloom , Sicshroom and Nsnail like this

#22 orangutan

orangutan

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 234 posts

Donator

Posted 19 April 2017 - 09:42 AM

I'm about to post the final results of my grow (heated vs not heated)!  Still waiting to dry the 4th flush, and maybe wait for a 5th.

4th flush is currently underway.

interesting observation/question: By the 4th flush my sub stopped pinning on the surface, and all the pins it made came from the sides.  As the sub shrunk with the first few flushes it exposed the sides when they pulled away from the plastic tray.  This newly exposed fresh mycelium is where all the pins are coming from right now.

Screen Shot 2017-04-19 at 7.30.27 AM.png

note: Side pins are awesome when the sub is slightly pulled away from the tray.  The mushrooms come out easily, in their entirety, and they are an extra 3 inches longer because they had to grow that much longer to clear the surface!

These mushies coming from the sides are all quite heavy and sturdy, which would indicate that the sub still has a good amount of nutrients in it. (yes? no?)

Would scratching have helped to expose fresh mycelium and get more pins from the surface?

What if I flip the sub over and see if the bottom surface makes pins?

It is my impression that this sub still has a lot of nutrients and potential, but that it is running out of healthy surfaces to pin from.  I could be wrong.

What do yall say?

Edited by orangutan, 19 April 2017 - 09:44 AM.

• MLBjammer, coorsmikey, Heirloom and 1 other like this

#23 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,379 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 April 2017 - 05:04 PM

4 flushes are a lot for a bulk sub. I generally pitch mine after 3.

But you could try flipping it. I would invest my energy in new subs personally.
  • Cue, CatsAndBats and orangutan like this

#24 orangutan

orangutan

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 234 posts

Donator

Posted 19 April 2017 - 11:21 PM

Agreed.  I am invoking the law of diminishing returns.

• Cue likes this

#25 orangutan

orangutan

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 234 posts

Donator

Posted 06 May 2017 - 09:22 PM

I've been lazy and never wrote up the results from this experiment.

I had a heated monotub and a nonheated monotub.  Both treated the same otherwise.  House temperatures usually in the low 60s.

The heated tub was set to 74F

1) The nonheated tub fully colonized just a day behind the heated tub

2) Despite not being heated, the nonheated tub stayed approx 10F warmer than the room temperature throughout colonization.  During fruiting, the nonheated tub stayed approx 6F warmer than the room temperature.

3) First flush at the same time for both tubs.  Neither was faster than the other.

4) First flush for heated tub was 102g dried.  First flush for nonheated tub was 85g dried.  Strangely the first flush for the nonheated tub was all in the center.  I wonder if it's because the center of the substrate had more heat from the mycelium metabolism as opposed to the edges.  In subsequent flushes the pinset evened out.

5) The heated tub never had another flush because it erupted in mold almost overnight.  Wow.  Threw it out.

6) The nonheated tub gave 3 more flushes (29g, 37g, and 20g)

Since I had to throw out the heated tub I'll never know if it would have produced a heavier yield.  

I would have to test this again to be more certain, but it seems that heating is not absolutely necessary and maybe it actually encourages contaminants.  I know that is what a lot of you say, and I should just listen and follow, but I had to see for myself.

Next round I think I'll scrap the heat mats, and maybe just use them in winter when my house is so damn cold.

Anyway, 273g is not so bad at all, and would have been even more had one of the tubs not contaminated.  I am eternally grateful for the wisdom in this community and the kind member that shared their redboy spores with me.  Yay!!!  I am happy.

• MLBjammer, coorsmikey and Heirloom like this

#26 orangutan

orangutan

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 234 posts

Donator

Posted 06 May 2017 - 09:39 PM

And my friends are super happy.  

#27 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,379 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 May 2017 - 04:15 AM

That's a favorite strain of mine.  Glad it was kind to you.

And, yes, too much heat invites competitors right in.  I stopped using any kind of incubators or concentrated heat several years ago.  Things move a little slower in the cooler months, but I have far fewer issues with contams.

#28 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 444 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 08:34 AM

Nice comparison. I was always taught to do everything on the edge of too cool. I'm sure the mold was directly a result of heating.
  • orangutan likes this

#29 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,379 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 May 2017 - 09:20 AM

Well, if you read old teks, almost all of them call for an incubator.  So a lot of folks come to the hobby reading about the importance of keeping things warm.  And it's just a fact that you can colonize and grow in a much lower temperature range.  

And comtams thrive in warmer temps (and also in high CO2 environments), so running your grow in the 60-70s range absolutely helps with avoiding that funky green (among other nasties), lol.

• CatsAndBats and orangutan like this

#30 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

detective dorkasaurus

• OG VIP
  • 7,719 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 May 2017 - 09:27 AM

Well, if you read old teks, almost all of them call for an incubator.  So a lot of folks come to the hobby reading about the importance of keeping things warm.  And it's just a fact that you can colonize and grow in a much lower temperature range.  

And comtams thrive in warmer temps (and also in high CO2 environments), so running your grow in the 60-70s range absolutely helps with avoiding that funky green (among other nasties), lol.

Agreed. As I understand it, most competitors are primary decomposers and also super aggressive (not to mention often parasitic), warmer temperatures accelerate this already rapid process. Plus the bigger the mycelial colony (the desired one), the more temperature it creates on it's own, IME even quart jars colonizing are warmer than ambient temps.

• orangutan likes this

#31 orangutan

orangutan

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 234 posts

Donator

Posted 07 May 2017 - 09:47 AM

Oddly, I was not even heating it that much.  Just a gentle heat to 74F in a room temperature of low 60s.

#32 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

detective dorkasaurus

• OG VIP
  • 7,719 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 May 2017 - 09:52 AM

Oddly, I was not even heating it that much.  Just a gentle heat to 74F in a room temperature of low 60s.

Which IME would have brought the core temp up to ~80f, a little on the high side.

#33 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 444 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 10:00 AM

Thinking about that's the tough part, we don't really know the other factors, heat might not be the only thing at play here. Could be as simple as one tub exposed to the contaminate and the other not.

I've wondering if testing something like that maybe split a colonized sub in half and fruit separately might offer a better control. Or at least mix enough spawn and substrate in a larger container, enough to fill two smaller tubs.

#34 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

detective dorkasaurus

• OG VIP
  • 7,719 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 May 2017 - 10:05 AM

Thinking about that's the tough part, we don't really know the other factors, heat might not be the only thing at play here. Could be as simple as one tub exposed to the contaminate and the other not.

I've wondering if testing something like that maybe split a colonized sub in half and fruit separately might offer a better control. Or at least mix enough spawn and substrate in a larger container, enough to fill two smaller tubs.

To have a truly successful mycelium experiment, one should use a true genetic isolate in order to eliminate all of the genetic variables, without which, any experiment is flawed.

#35 orangutan

orangutan

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 234 posts

Donator

Posted 07 May 2017 - 10:07 AM

I had a thermometer embedded in the core of the sub the whole time and recorded the temperature every 24hrs.  It always stayed in the mid 70s.  The heated tub was consistently 4F warmer than the unheated tub.  Not a huge difference at all.

I had it set on a thermostat.

The mycelial metabolism did not add 10F to whatever the thermostat was set to.  I think that, for the most part, the mycelial metabolism warmed the sub to mid 70s, and the thermostat would come on occasionally to help with the last few degrees. 

If you heat your home with a thermostat and there is a warm winter day, that doesn't mean your house gets unbearably hot inside.  The heat just doesn't come on.

• CatsAndBats likes this

#36 orangutan

orangutan

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 234 posts

Donator

Posted 07 May 2017 - 10:12 AM

Yes, so I would have to repeat this experiment several times to be more confident.  

Also as @cat mentioned, a genetic isolate would help a lot.

Since I don't have the space and the resources to run experiments with large sample sizes, I'll never know.   But one thing I noticed is that the unheated tub did not behave drastically different from the heated tub.  Next time I'm not going to fuck with added heat.

• CatsAndBats likes this

#37 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 444 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 10:22 AM

Small space just means more small grows, work towards an isolate next.
  • CatsAndBats likes this

#38 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

detective dorkasaurus

• OG VIP
  • 7,719 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 May 2017 - 10:34 AM

This discourse is very pleasing to me. Just saying. :biggrin:

• orangutan likes this

#39 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 444 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 11:24 AM

Concerning working with small space, Google "closet organizer" and scan through the images there. Gives Mr interesting ideas.
  • orangutan likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!