• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 shoomer

shoomer

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 143 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 09:08 PM

I had a couple jars get trichy JUST after full colonization (probably a wet needle being drawn through the dry verm layer with badly applied tape) a couple runs ago and instead of chucking them, i decided to see which would "win out" if I kept the jars sealed and sergregated to another area.

Looking in on them today  i found this:

Heartbreak.jpg

You can see tiny mushies  in the red circles and the trich'd out area circled in green.

I'll try to keep you all updated as to the "jar match" as things unfold.

If it wasn't so cold out I would have thrown these out and they would have been fruiting in the compost pile I'm sure. :smile:

Edited by shoomer, 03 March 2017 - 09:09 PM.

• tailsmcsnails likes this

#2 shoomer

shoomer

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 143 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 12:33 PM

Here we are a mere 12 hr. later and about 60-75 degrees around  from the area pictured above.

I swear these weren't here last night but the size kind of discounts my observation abilities.

HB_II.jpg

You'll see in this pic a nice grouping of 4 in one spot, 1-2 in another, and the end of the trich slick from the pic above. These are (well, could be since the tape has fallen off a couple) Pink Buffalo.

The other trch'd out jar (1/4 pt.) I put in a mid sized Glad container w/ enough water that it shouldn't dry out too badly (the cake is not sitting in water, but the indent around the bottom is filled) but a whole lot of nothing else going on w/ it except the appearance of new green dots on the previously fully colonized (although the trich dots say it's not so) cake.

#3 panaho

panaho

One Grow Cultivation Guru!

• Free Member
  • 211 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 07:27 PM

I don't know if you have ever thought of the "bulk" thing , but I figure you should be thinking of it now , since you were thinking of throwing something out; you may as well crumble what you have and give them what they want -room and food to grow.

As you can see those little pins are cramped beyond anything imaginable and are at the same time being kept from their full potential. Common sense says add what is good to some horse dung and let things do their stuff.

Carry on with peace.

• shoomer likes this

#4 orangutan

orangutan

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 255 posts

Donator

Posted 04 March 2017 - 08:57 PM

I would never crumble a moldy brf jar into a bulk substrate.  That's just asking for a disaster that will cover your grow space in mold spores, compromising all your future grows.

• MLBjammer, Arathu, Cue and 2 others like this

#5 shoomer

shoomer

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 143 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 12:59 AM

You are both right.

I'm going to take pan's advice and here's why:

I'd planned to let the cakes fruit once then dunk and slurry them for bulk (60/40 straw & manure).

I know they do fine from straight straw from my last run (over a year ago) when I made mini straw logs using bread bags but they're supposed to be dung lovers so why not give them what they love.

What I'd ID'd as trich may have been myc that was dried out (if bluing is a side effect of that) and caused the coloration I had mistaken for trich.

Instead of steaming as most would and is perfectly acceptable for BRF, I PC'd them w/ LC baby bottles @ 15psi for 1.25hr. as they'd be waiting for the LC to populate in the BB's I made with them. Seems the PC caused a couple  to look as if they were completely filled but when opened the sides were ~1/8" thick but the middle was hollow 1 3/4" down causing the sides to dry.

Good news is that this pushes my BRF success rate even higher!

Bad news is my ability to identify trich (through the jar) is highly suspect.

They are now both birthed into separate plastic togo containers away from the main FC just to be safe but I think after the first flush to see what size/vigor they have, into the blender they will go.

Pan was right as when I looked at them tonight the pins had started bluing from the pressure, which is why I birthed the 2nd one tonight and found out about the dried BRF.

Sorry folks, there is no race at this time (but I could be wrong about that too ;-) ).

Edited by shoomer, 05 March 2017 - 01:02 AM.

• panaho likes this

#6 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,414 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 March 2017 - 04:13 AM

The pic looks like bruising to me.  There's nothing wrong with growing pins invitro (in the jar).  The pins will grow about as large as they would in a conventional fruiting chamber, just a bit slower and conforming to the constraints of the jar.

But any jar or sub that is suspect should always be isolated.  If you are unsure about whether it's mold or bruising, take a q-tip or paper towel and gently rub the suspect area (once the cake is birthed, of course).  If any color bleeds off, it's contamination--mold spores.  If not, it is bruising.

• shoomer and The1unknown like this

#7 shoomer

shoomer

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 143 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 08:17 AM

<snip>

But any jar or sub that is suspect should always be isolated.  If you are unsure about whether it's mold or bruising, take a q-tip or paper towel and gently rub the suspect area (once the cake is birthed, of course).  If any color bleeds off, it's contamination--mold spores.  If not, it is bruising.

​Too true (as I found out above).

​I was surprised when i slammed the 2nd jar outside not to see a cloud of spores.

#8 shoomer

shoomer

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 143 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 06:08 PM

Just an update:

The isolated "infected" sample was bruised and not trich'd out.

Case in point.......isolated.jpg

#9 orangutan

orangutan

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 255 posts

Donator

Posted 10 March 2017 - 11:08 AM

Way to go!  It's good to know that you can still trust your gut on things even though you are getting help from good people that are only going by a photograph.

#10 shoomer

shoomer

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 143 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 05:43 PM

Amen brother(or sister).

​I hadn't even thought of bruising until MLB brought it up and when I birthed them the bruised areas were bone dry.

​I'd like to thank the 'topia community for the well wishes and good insight (I have problems w/ 1/2 pt. diamond pattern jars making everything out).

​Seems I'm just days away from finding out if it was worth it.  :biggrin:

• MLBjammer likes this

#11 panaho

panaho

One Grow Cultivation Guru!

• Free Member
  • 211 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 04:12 PM

Yes , you should have results soon and I hope they are positive; all things are positive if view is right. 

• shoomer and peacefrog like this

#12 shoomer

shoomer

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 143 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 09:29 PM

Sorry.....I almost forgot about this once the trich scare was over.

Here's the state of the state yesterday. :wink:

opened.jpg

Thank you all for your interest and advice!

• Arathu likes this

#13 shoomer

shoomer

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 143 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 12:35 PM

I love that topics like this stay open indefinitely as I knew that it was only a matter of time before I could make the initial post true and found that rye was going to be the substrate to get 'tammed instead of BRF.

​So we now have a race!

triched_out_2-033117.jpg

​The bottom (I let jars mature sideways for more atmosphere to rye area).

triched_out_033117.jpg

​Now that I have a large area of the nasty green spore it's hard to mistake.

I'll just let it go to see which colonization eats the other.

I'm sure many have posted their results of a test like this but I like doing it as experience just seems to hang w/ me longer.

Edited by shoomer, 31 March 2017 - 12:37 PM.

#14 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,118 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 March 2017 - 01:42 PM

"Tammed".......tubs placed outside in the ground not only completely recovered but thrived and ran/expanded into wheelbarrow loads of HPOO.................it got crazy............fast..........

Keep in mind that more than one fungal organism and also bacteria can and do co exist....That's how it works in the wilds.......what the resultants in the fruits are or could be.........???????? Just a thought to keep in mind, just because there is "contaminant" doesn't mean it won't fruit......

What's in the fruits............well............. :biggrin:

Just my opinions........ I was already fucked up before I ever ate a mushroom so..........hahahaha

A

Edited by Arathu, 31 March 2017 - 01:43 PM.

• ChimX and tailsmcsnails like this

#15 shoomer

shoomer

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 143 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 07:46 PM

This is today's pic of whether trich or myc will win out.

It's looking like the myc, :wink:

triched_5.jpg

trichd_6.jpg

#16 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,118 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 April 2017 - 08:53 PM

I still wouldn't use it on a big tub....I might make a tray of HPOO using that spawn though........... :biggrin:

Keep a close eye on it.....since the weather is breaking I wouldn't hesitate to make a big old HPOO pie in hole out in a shady spot somewhere.....

But that's just me.....it does look as though it has the green arse kicked.......... Is it really green or bluing of the mycelium...I can't tell....might be bacterial.

Still I wouldn't risk an indoor growing area contamination personally...not for one jar of spawn.....

Good experiment shroomer..........

A

Edited by Arathu, 16 April 2017 - 08:55 PM.

#17 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

[^._.^]ノ彡 & /|\( ;,;)/|\

• OG VIP
  • 8,109 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 April 2017 - 11:28 AM

Couple of things. Trich/mold has mycelium too.

Molds that show up on cubensis myc are parasitic, so I'm not sure if call that symbiotic.

I would not let that shit anywhere near clean spawn/grows and even though it might appear "beat", that mold will follow that culture wherever it goes despite sporulation or lack of sporulation.

Id bury it.

IMHO/IME
  • Microbe likes this

#18 shoomer

shoomer

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 143 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 06:01 PM

Couple of things. Trich/mold has mycelium too.

Molds that show up on cubensis myc are parasitic, so I'm not sure if call that symbiotic.

I would not let that shit anywhere near clean spawn/grows and even though it might appear "beat", that mold will follow that culture wherever it goes despite sporulation or lack of sporulation.

Id bury it.

IMHO/IME

True 'nuff, but I have never experienced trich going green to white (always the other way for me) but i have had some trich emerge (like mentioned below) in fruiting colonies before.

​I figure as long as the jar is sealed (even though not perfectly obviously) it's a great in vitro experiment.

Other disappointments (2 bags and a tray) have been unceremoniously tossed into a bucket and transferred to the great outdoors to fend for themselves as the advice above is correct.

I'll be very interested to see if there is any output but don't expect much.

The Good news is that a new employer keeps horses and I can put my hand to h-poo any time I wish so another experiment might be in the works.

I'll be back to chime in should the trich'd offal produce (although I'm not expecting that as the tray I mentioned above first fruited fine and then went to the "green side").

Edited by shoomer, 03 May 2017 - 06:16 PM.

• MLBjammer likes this

#19 Cue

Cue

Chat Head

• OG VIP
  • 8,150 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 May 2017 - 03:56 AM

I don't know if you have ever thought of the "bulk" thing , but I figure you should be thinking of it now , since you were thinking of throwing something out; you may as well crumble what you have and give them what they want -room and food to grow.

As you can see those little pins are cramped beyond anything imaginable and are at the same time being kept from their full potential. Common sense says add what is good to some horse dung and let things do their stuff.

Carry on with peace.

@shroomer

If you do it; do it outside.

Edited by Cue, 06 May 2017 - 04:00 AM.

• MLBjammer likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!