You are both right.
I'm going to take pan's advice and here's why:
I'd planned to let the cakes fruit once then dunk and slurry them for bulk (60/40 straw & manure).
I know they do fine from straight straw from my last run (over a year ago) when I made mini straw logs using bread bags but they're supposed to be dung lovers so why not give them what they love.
What I'd ID'd as trich may have been myc that was dried out (if bluing is a side effect of that) and caused the coloration I had mistaken for trich.
Instead of steaming as most would and is perfectly acceptable for BRF, I PC'd them w/ LC baby bottles @ 15psi for 1.25hr. as they'd be waiting for the LC to populate in the BB's I made with them. Seems the PC caused a couple to look as if they were completely filled but when opened the sides were ~1/8" thick but the middle was hollow 1 3/4" down causing the sides to dry.
Good news is that this pushes my BRF success rate even higher!
Bad news is my ability to identify trich (through the jar) is highly suspect.
They are now both birthed into separate plastic togo containers away from the main FC just to be safe but I think after the first flush to see what size/vigor they have, into the blender they will go.
Pan was right as when I looked at them tonight the pins had started bluing from the pressure, which is why I birthed the 2nd one tonight and found out about the dried BRF.
Sorry folks, there is no race at this time (but I could be wrong about that too ;-) ).
Edited by shoomer, 05 March 2017 - 01:02 AM.