41 replies to this topic

#21 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,419 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 March 2017 - 04:36 AM

Like I said, even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and again.

Here's a pic of a pan sub 6 days after spawning.  I cased at spawning, as it seemed to move so quickly.  The overlay happened so fast I literally had no time to respond with patching.

msg-103115-0-94629800-1488669037.jpg

And here are a couple pics this morning, still under two weeks since spawning.  You can see a few pins popping up on the surface finally and plenty of side pins.  It is not great, but it's interesting.

20170308_041847.jpg

20170308_041917.jpg

• fahtster, Needles, peacefrog and 2 others like this

#22 orangutan

orangutan

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 292 posts

Donator

Posted 08 March 2017 - 10:10 AM

looks like great genetics and a really good hand  :tongue:

• MLBjammer likes this

#23 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• OG VIP
  • 1,620 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 March 2017 - 07:24 PM

That is some aggressive growth, bro! You make it look easy. Nothing wrong with side pins, that's for sure, especially if they look like that.
  • MLBjammer likes this

#24 Needles

Needles

Locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 884 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 March 2017 - 11:08 PM

What a awesome topic, how have I missed this. A subject that I have been trying to figure out for myself. Spore prints can easily be stored but they won't preserve all the hard work of making isolations or clones. Liquid innoculent from blended mycelium has proved to be a reliable source of preserving our valued cultures. I have found that minimal nutrition from harvested agar to be the key. Also as Microbe stated the lack of 02 in the container can also be a factor to longevity of storage.
Bringing cultures back to working conditions after storage can also be a issue. I found that inoculate into sterile grain to be the most affective means for revival. This is a thread that I was working with stored cultures https://mycotopia.ne...815:image.jpeg]

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg

• fahtster, MLBjammer, Arathu and 4 others like this

#25 fahtster

fahtster

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,670 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 March 2017 - 03:04 AM

Damn! Nice work needles! That an impressive collection.

Faht
  • MLBjammer and Needles like this

#26 Microbe

Microbe

Citizen Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 3,006 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 March 2017 - 08:30 AM

What a awesome topic, how have I missed this. A subject that I have been trying to figure out for myself. Spore prints can easily be stored but they won't preserve all the hard work of making isolations or clones. Liquid innoculent from blended mycelium has proved to be a reliable source of preserving our valued cultures. I have found that minimal nutrition from harvested agar to be the key. Also as Microbe stated the lack of 02 in the container can also be a factor to longevity of storage.
Bringing cultures back to working conditions after storage can also be a issue. I found that inoculate into sterile grain to be the most affective means for revival. This is a thread that I was working with stored cultures https://mycotopia.ne...ended-mycelium/attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Hell of a culture bank!
  • Needles likes this

#27 orangutan

orangutan

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 292 posts

Donator

Posted 11 March 2017 - 10:11 AM

Wow, what a nice library you have there Needles.  I love those little glass vials you have.

Are you storing those cultures at room temperature?  Also, are those the kind of stoppers you can inject straight through? like a self healing injection port?  Or do you have to open the bottle to get access to the culture?

• Needles likes this

#28 Needles

Needles

Locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 884 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 March 2017 - 04:30 PM

Wow, what a nice library you have there Needles.  I love those little glass vials you have.

Are you storing those cultures at room temperature?  Also, are those the kind of stoppers you can inject straight through? like a self healing injection port?  Or do you have to open the bottle to get access to the culture?

Those bottles were ordered from a scientific supply company until they discontinued that size. They were perfect for storage, and yes the 10mm SHIP fit just right. Instead of using a metal ring to seal the bottle I just used a small piece of lab film. I have replaced them with the larger bottles that come with a septa lid.
All the bottles that are in the backgammon game case are stored at room temperature and the ones in the little case have been kept in the refrigerator crisper.
This method of storage has given me the most successful rate in recovery of cultures.
I think the same results could be achieved through growing a culture in a jar of agar. After the mycelium has colonized sterile water could be added and vigorously shaken and extracted.
  • Microbe and Heirloom like this

#29 orangutan

orangutan

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 292 posts

Donator

Posted 11 March 2017 - 05:18 PM

sweet!

When you stick a syringe needle in the 10mm SHIP to suck out some culture, do you find it necessary to inject the same volume of air into the bottle as the volume of culture you want to suck out?  Have you ever had the SHIP pop out because there was too much pressure in the bottle?

#30 Needles

Needles

Locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 884 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 March 2017 - 07:05 PM

sweet!

When you stick a syringe needle in the 10mm SHIP to suck out some culture, do you find it necessary to inject the same volume of air into the bottle as the volume of culture you want to suck out?  Have you ever had the SHIP pop out because there was too much pressure in the bottle?

Most of the time I only extract a few CCs but yes if you don't inject a little air, a vacuum is created. A lot of the extractions made from the storage bottles no extra pressure is pumped in. I have the ship wrapped with para film and its really not enough pressure to pop the stopper when equalizing pressure.
  • Microbe and orangutan like this

#31 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,202 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 March 2017 - 07:26 PM

Wow.......this is awesome. Needles has been doing some SERIOUS work.....

I have to divert some funding to my expanding hobby activities.................

Damned impressive stuff right here.....and of course Jammer has Pan Pouches going..........bad ass!

A

Edited by Arathu, 11 March 2017 - 07:31 PM.

• Needles, Microbe and orangutan like this

#32 orangutan

orangutan

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 292 posts

Donator

Posted 11 March 2017 - 11:24 PM

Hey Needles I noticed in another thread you mentioned that you got those little serum bottles from a vendor that ran out. 

here is a pretty cool lab supply company that will sell you things pretty cheap and they don't have a minimum order.

http://www.medical-a...b-supplies.com/

• Needles likes this

#33 Needles

Needles

Locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 884 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 March 2017 - 12:06 AM

Hey Needles I noticed in another thread you mentioned that you got those little serum bottles from a vendor that ran out. 

here is a pretty cool lab supply company that will sell you things pretty cheap and they don't have a minimum order.

http://www.medical-a...b-supplies.com/

I checked out that link, they have some very cool stuff that could play into other projects. Thank you for sharing......

#34 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,419 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 March 2017 - 10:50 AM

That's incredible, man:

post-136520-0-53879900-1489032446.jpeg

• fahtster, Needles, Microbe and 1 other like this

#35 DarthKabute

DarthKabute

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 104 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 03:57 AM

Does the jars (used in LC) have to be wrapped in foil or paper before storing in the fridge?

#36 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 816 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 07:20 AM

I knew that backgammon served a greater purpose!
  • Needles likes this

#37 sandman

sandman

Essence of Gypsum

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,962 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 May 2017 - 08:07 AM

What is the longest that you successfully pulled anything out of those storage jars, needles?

• Needles likes this

#38 Needles

Needles

Locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 884 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 May 2017 - 10:10 PM

I knew that backgammon served a greater purpose!

It was a perfect fit for those little bottles. Found it at a thrift store and couldn't resist....

#39 Needles

Needles

Locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 884 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 May 2017 - 10:22 PM

What is the longest that you successfully pulled anything out of those storage jars, needles?

I have only been playing around with this tech for four years and the first year was lots of trial and error. But I have recovered the king oyster from four years back. It needed to be put in a malt broth for a few day first before being innoculated to grain. There was a grey oyster and pes that didn't make it. I ended up with around eighteen that I was able to revive after two and three years in water to sterile rye grains. This season I found myself storing more plates although the liquid inoculate storage tech is still my favorite......
  • Arathu likes this

#40 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,202 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 May 2017 - 10:46 PM

I'm going to have to build another building.......minimally an addition and probably with housing for wayward and gypsy mycophiles.......hahahahaha 

I'm sure this about to get completely out of control............ Sweet!

A

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!