• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Batman

Batman

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 01:24 AM

What are some of the more popular substrate mixtures used. im using rye berry but i was reading about wild bird seed and corn. any suggestions will help. im thinking of buying bags or jars that are already sterilized.

This thread is moved due to the following reason.
post-105498-0-92573000-1492647187.png

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1104.PNG

Edited by coorsmikey, 19 April 2017 - 07:15 PM.
Please post in correct forums

• Sidestreet likes this

#2 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 7,366 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 March 2017 - 05:19 AM

Any of those are viable options, though I'm sure someone will be along to tell you that one or the other is superior.  :)

• Batman likes this

#3 ChimX

ChimX

Spiritual Forager

• Free Member
  • 193 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 10:37 PM

You've touched on the more popular selections for sure, Corn, WBS, and Rye. The ingredient options increase as you go into bulk but, for inoculation purposes, those three are the most common.

I occasionally hear of Hominy, Red Wheat Berry, or even Coffee being tested but, for one reason or another, none of these have gained much momentum as first choices in substrates. While cost ratios certainly play a role, the 3 you mentioned all have proven track records which obviously contribute to their popularity.

Sidestreet, as usual, is absolutely right and I'm not about to let him down lol. My favorite is popcorn. I simply like the uniformity and size of the grain. It feels easier to spot contaminants earlier on and the lighter color helps me in this aspect as well.

Best of luck with your endeavors.
Metta
-ChimX

Edited by ChimX, 09 March 2017 - 04:05 AM.

#4 Myceliman

Myceliman

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 12:14 PM

I am currently using a very specific substrate for growing morel mushrooms(indoors!). It consists of a mix of 20% sand, 30% potting soil, 50% organic material composed of 80% small hardwood chips (ash, oak, maple, beech, elm, apple, etc.), 10% rice hulls, 5% soybean meal, 5% sphagnum, and a small amount of lime (the mineral, not the fruit) to bring the pH to 7.1 - 7.3. I had a bonfire and mixed in the ashes as well. I mostly use peat moss, hardwood chips, corn and bird seed. Hope I could help!

#5 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

Mycotopia's only leucistic cat and bat hybrid©

• OG VIP
  • 7,678 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 April 2017 - 04:37 PM

What are some of the more popular substrate mixtures used. im using rye berry but i was reading about wild bird seed and corn. any suggestions will help. im thinking of buying bags or jars that are already sterilized. 

Oats!

Do you not have a pressure cooker? Welcome batman!

I am currently using a very specific substrate for growing morel mushrooms(indoors!). It consists of a mix of 20% sand, 30% potting soil, 50% organic material composed of 80% small hardwood chips (ash, oak, maple, beech, elm, apple, etc.), 10% rice hulls, 5% soybean meal, 5% sphagnum, and a small amount of lime (the mineral, not the fruit) to bring the pH to 7.1 - 7.3. I had a bonfire and mixed in the ashes as well. I mostly use peat moss, hardwood chips, corn and bird seed. Hope I could help!

Good luck man! Are you going to start a thread? Why sand? I don't know much about morels except that they're delicious and are historically difficult to grow indoors.

http://msutoday.msu....m-hunt-indoors/

• ChimX likes this

#6 panaho

panaho

Keyboard Krusader

• Free Member
  • 406 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 04:38 PM

That is a good question. Right now I have some corn colonized with some sort of pan variety or another , and I am wondering just what I should mix my two jars of spawn with. I have had good success with horse dung mixed with some straw.

I have both of those items plus some gypsum  sitting around , so I think I will go that route.

One quart of my popcorn spawn mixed with two or thereabouts quarts of horse dung/straw mixture pasteurized at 155 degrees for one hour.  Leached dung , of course.

#7 Cue

Cue

Chat Head

• OG VIP
  • 8,016 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 April 2017 - 04:31 AM

First we would need to know what type of mushroom that you are planning on growing.

Next, I think that you are confusing spawn with substrate.

General practice is to colonize a sterilized grain (spawn) with a pasteurized substrate.

Usually the type of substrate is determined by whether you are trying to grow a dung lover or wood lover.

My use of the words "general" and "usually" is because there are so many ways of growing mushrooms.

Just to finish my thoughts while I'm on the forum, since I don't post much anymore I'm going to guess that you are seeking advice on Cubensis.

im using rye berry but i was reading about wild bird seed and corn.

Rye is too expensive where I live to make it worth the expense.

My first choice is WBS "no corn formula": Because I don't have issues with critters digging into it when the grow finally gets put outside. Its cheap and easy to prep if you steep it.

Second choice is feed oats: For some reason my results aren't as good with it as it is with WBS. Its probably just me, because other have better results with it than with WBS. It is even cheaper than WBS, and hydrates even faster when being steeped than WBS. I do get critters digging into it a little, but not as bad as corn.

3 types of corn; popcorn, whole feed corn, and cracked corn (BTW critters love corn):

1st corn choice: Cracked corn just needs a 24 soak, but you have to rinse the shit out of it to get the starch out. If you don't rinse it good enough it will stick together, then you will play hell getting it break loose. Another advantage that cracked corn has over the other corns is that you get lots of inoculation points.

2nd corn choice: Feed corn, you just have to boil it until a kernel or two bursts to get it hydrated. Its disadvantage over cracked corn is that it doesn't have nearly as many inoculation points when mixed with your substrate. Although, it does OK if you layer your spawn/substrate.

3rd corn choice: Popcorn, IME its more expensive than feed corn and harder to hydrate. Otherwise (IMO) its similar to feed corn.

im thinking of buying bags or jars that are already sterilized.

My first successful grow was with pre-made jars. While they did work; I didn't get much for my money.

#8 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,378 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 April 2017 - 05:30 PM

Good advice. For cost, you can't go wrong with whole oats or WBS. I am not a huge fan of popcorn, but many like it. Rye is a bit pricey, as mentioned above.

For a bulk substrate, I like a 50:50 mix of composted cow manure and coir. But there are many options. Do lots of reading in the archives.
  • ChimX and Cue like this

#9 Heirloom

Heirloom

practitioner

• OG VIP
  • 3,809 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 April 2017 - 06:36 PM

I've tried whole grain brown rice, oats, rye and red wheat, they all worked good about the same.
For bulk I've done straw, manure, coir, even planted out in the dirt.

Some factors in a grow are the strain and a growers skill/knowledge.

Rye is about the same price as other grains here last time I checked.

#10 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 6,888 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 April 2017 - 07:09 PM

Old school and cheap...

50/50 mix of WBS and Popcorn.

Soak rinse and handle separately until they go into the jars.

Mix well, place in jar, pc and shake before they cool down.

I spawn to horse shit in trays.

Cheap and effective!

• sandman and CatsAndBats like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!