7 replies to this topic

#1 Smithto

Smithto

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 09:44 PM

Hi everyone,

Long time lurker here. I've been growing for a while and I'm looking to upgrade my setup and want to build a small home use flow hood. However, I'm in New Zealand and I'm finding it difficult to source a good HEPA filter. Is there by any chance some local New Zealand users that have undertaken a similar project and may wish to help me? Or even any of you international folks who can make any good recommendations for us folks down here in the Southern Hemisphere. I know this is a long shot, but I figured I'd ask.

Thanks in advance!

• tailsmcsnails likes this

#2 TyPi

TyPi

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 50 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 12:02 AM

Yes, try buying an air purifier with a built in screen/HEPA that is able to filter the required value in microns.

#3 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 4,357 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 March 2017 - 11:04 AM

As the kids say today...... "the struggle is real"

I've been using a couple of the said TRUE HEPA air purifiers in my flow box and it works pretty well but a large flow hood is in the planning.

I'm in the U.S. so I don't really know how to help you "down under" since to you I'm probably the one "down under"...........hahahaha 

Funding is my issue else I'd have a HEPA wall and clean room............. :biggrin:

A

• tailsmcsnails likes this

#4 tailsmcsnails

tailsmcsnails

"DOOR"

• Gold VIP
  • 443 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 March 2017 - 04:03 AM

I'm in AU not NZ but I found this www.fungifun.org/English/Flowhood

#5 Spliff

Spliff

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 511 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 04:54 AM

Tails, that website has some detailed steps in building your own, and good explanation on static pressure. Thanks for sharing.

I have used these guys, http://www.aussimush...tegory&path=110

Pretty good selection, they respond to emails with helpful advice.

Looking at shipping costs, a 20kg box (assuming you get a fan as well, filters are really light) seems to add an extra AU$65 to NZ from Aus.

If you are finding the struggle real, you might try searching hospital suppliers / doctors room suppliers, they might sell. Also try lab supplies, like for universities. Additionally, you might be surprised what is found at agricultural retailers or even air conditioner installers. I did all the work arounds like this, including a store bought air purifier (but I do not think the HEPA is the grade you want for a flow hood), and then I just had a proper search for mushroom supplies, and found aussiemushroomsupplies. To think of the headaches and money spent trying to McGyver these things...

• Myc and tailsmcsnails like this

#6 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 5,151 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 March 2017 - 09:47 AM

Sourcing a HEPA filter should not be excessively tough.

If you have some "big industry" in your area (i.e. medical centers, surgical centers, computer component assembly or manufacturing, etc.), consult a large HVAC company - Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning. "HVAC" is actually a good keyword to use in a search. You want a company which provides clean-room services - design, build, maintenance

The bigger companies will be familiar with the materials you need and can likely help out. You never know when they will have some random filter (or filters) left over from a job - still in the package. Or maybe a dented unit to let go for cheap.

http://airlab.co.nz/...es/clean-rooms/

^ These guys have a contact page. And there are at least three more companies returned in the same search results.

I would start by making a concise, well worded email detailing exactly what I'm looking for as far as filter specifications. The shorter and clearer the message, the more likely you are to get a busy worker's attention and interest. A company like this would want to get paid for any design work but if you approached them with specifications in hand, they might be able to help on the cheap. 

• Spliff likes this

#7 Ferather

Ferather

Reverse Engineer

• Free Member
  • 577 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 04:36 PM

I had an idea about a flowbox a few years ago, I think they exist now.

They blow air downwards, keeping the flow as clean air.

Flowbox.png

• Needles likes this

#8 Needles

Needles

locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 835 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 March 2017 - 04:58 PM

Works like a charm.
image.jpeg
I have replaced the propane burner with a bacti-cinerator. I use isopropyl alcohol for sanitization and feel better without having my arms in there with a flame.
  • Arathu likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!