• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 CharonTruffleHunt

CharonTruffleHunt

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 30 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 01:38 PM

I was curious if anyone here uses any specific strains for flavor or if it's not that noticeable? I haven't really ever cooked with cannabis but I was curious if certain strains are better for cooking with for flavor purposes? 

• Heirloom and CatsAndBats like this

#2 fungi2bwith

fungi2bwith

cat-monkey

• OG VIP
  • 1,564 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 March 2017 - 02:32 PM

yes, of course....you might contact your local "pot sommelier"......

When cooking with cannabis, It really depends on what you are planning on making.....For example, I've use blueberry kief in blueberry muffins....Strains with citrus notes could be used in something like lemon bars......The stronger strains, like chemdawg or say a heavy kush, I would use in something savory and on a protein of some type, then again, some strains will just not work....you know that they have classes on this shit....crazy...

https://www.colorado...er-of-cannabis/

Edited by fungi2bwith, 08 March 2017 - 02:38 PM.

• Myc, CatsAndBats and CharonTruffleHunt like this

#3 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 5,464 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 March 2017 - 05:44 PM

I like to use shade leaves in the same way one would use basil or rosemary.

The guard leaves (the ones we trim off for making hash) are especially tasty on ribs, brisket, and other meats which are smoked. 

Just lay a whole leaf (or several) on the surface of whatever you're cooking. 

"Trim" stores perfectly in the freezer and can be pulled out "on-demand" and used in recipes. 

As for varieties............

I use my nose. 

When I build a recipe, I smell what I put into it as far as herbs go. 

If it smells complimentary - it goes into the mix. Also remember, "less is more". You can get carried away. Go simple with your first experiments and increase (as seems logical) your additives as you learn more. 

• CharonTruffleHunt likes this

#4 CharonTruffleHunt

CharonTruffleHunt

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 30 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 12:56 PM

Thanks! I'm not much of a cook to be honest but I do enjoy trying. I'd asked this same question on a few forums prior to this but never got a response so thanks for letting me know! I'm interested to try some recipes out with lemon diesel. 

#5 fungi2bwith

fungi2bwith

cat-monkey

• OG VIP
  • 1,564 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 March 2017 - 08:18 PM

well, I'm a chef, and been cooking food just as long as I've been growing green.....so you've come to the right place....you don't really need a class to show you how to judge good green....as Myc said, your nose is your best friend when it comes to this sort of thing....

I find it hard around here to find anything to cook with.....we are a strictly a medicinal state, but the meds are bullshit.....all grown indoors hydro, and though they say organic nutes....none compare to what I'm knockin' out.....so I call bullshit on most AZ dispensaries.....as far as quality organic meds go.....

Anywho, yes, depending on the terpene profile of whatever strain you are growing, will depend on what type of edibles it will rock out in...

Edited by fungi2bwith, 09 March 2017 - 08:18 PM.

• Myc and CharonTruffleHunt like this

#6 CharonTruffleHunt

CharonTruffleHunt

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 30 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 03:03 PM

well, I'm a chef, and been cooking food just as long as I've been growing green.....so you've come to the right place....you don't really need a class to show you how to judge good green....as Myc said, your nose is your best friend when it comes to this sort of thing....

Awesome! Do you ever share any recipes or is it pretty much a matter of professional secrecy? 

#7 fungi2bwith

fungi2bwith

cat-monkey

• OG VIP
  • 1,564 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 March 2017 - 03:52 PM

I've not shared my recipes.....

#8 JanSteen

JanSteen

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 176 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 March 2017 - 05:05 PM

A friend of mine is a chef as well. But selling edibles is kind of illegal. Every week we talk about the possibilities, the endless possibilities.

There's a general rule that fatty stuff absorbs THC and actives. As do alcohols.

We found that there are a lot of different methods to pass on the flavor and interesting bits.
There's oil extraction, with a huge loss of flavor. For nearly everything.
There's alcohol extraction, with a decent flavor palette when it's used quickly. Use for stuff that is cooled.
There's ether extraction for the full flavor palette, but then again, ether needs to evap under vacuum at low temperatures to ensure keeping the flavor. We know what to look for, but if you don't, stay away from ether.
There's butter extraction for the OK flavor. Use for whatever baking goods.
There's steam extraction for the actives only. Good for making sweets, mix while hot.

Strains matter. A lot. But you'll have to taste and test complementary products. There's no way to be sure a White widow is actually a white widow nowadays. Not around here at least, in the NL's. So it's pretty much a journey every time we make something. We taste some, decide what would fit to it, or the other way around, then we go to work.

I have a strain that tastes like belgian cookies. It's great with all kinds of forest fruits. In this case, we used an alcohol tincture and mixed it with loads of sugar, whole milk and mixed at subzero temps to make ice cream. We also made a lamb sauce from boiled down grape soda, some pepper, and mixed it while it was still hot with the distillate.
A deep sativa is better for lemony tastes, something one could like in a yoghurt. Whole milk, or butter is kind of the solvent you'd want for that.
We found the original Durban poison to be very complementary to soups (when used as an oil).

We've been making a pretty darn good garlic dip with spicy ganja types, the ones you'd rather not smoke because they hurt the throat. Since there's no heat in this process, we use old and very very cured weed. This ensures carboxylation has taken place.
1/2 Mayo
1/2 Yoghurt
Tablespoon of ganja
2 pieces of garlic
Powdered sugar to taste
A dash of salt (flavor enhancer)
Oregano, basil, italian herbs to taste

Just my 2 pence

#9 fungi2bwith

fungi2bwith

cat-monkey

• OG VIP
  • 1,564 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 March 2017 - 08:28 AM

Here's a recipe for you.....not strain specific.....and it's simple....

Caesar Dressing

5 cloves of garlic

6-8 anchovies

4 whole eggs

2oz lemon juice

2oz of worcteshire

4 cups of Cannabis infused canola oil

put the first 5 ingredients in the blender/food processor and blend until smooth....Then slowly add the infused oil while still blending.....

The end product should come out to the consistency of mayonaise....This will keep in the fridge for 7-10 days. This recipe makes a 4" 6pan.....kitchen lingo, not sure what it is in cups....prolly around 5 cups of end product.

Edited by fungi2bwith, 11 March 2017 - 08:32 AM.

#10 CharonTruffleHunt

CharonTruffleHunt

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 30 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 10:26 AM

Thank you guys so much for sharing! These recipes sound great! I might also keep my eyes and ears out for a cannabis cookbook. I'm sure there are at least a few out there. Thanks, again!

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!