• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Zenmaine

Zenmaine

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 09:33 AM

Here I have my first tray. My question is.. can I harvest fully mature fruits as they come in? Or do I need to harvest then all at once?

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20170309_081823.jpg

• peacefrog and orangutan like this

#2 Triptomemes

Triptomemes

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 30 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 09:50 AM

You can harvest the mature fruits and allow the others to fully mature.

• Arathu, peacefrog, cap10cubensis and 1 other like this

#3 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• OG VIP
  • 1,467 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 March 2017 - 12:26 PM

^^solid advice^^.

#4 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 4,389 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 March 2017 - 04:41 PM

^^solid advice about the solid advice^^ :biggrin:

A

• peacefrog likes this

#5 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• OG VIP
  • 10,693 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 March 2017 - 08:30 PM

They can be harvested whenever you prefer. If not making spore prints, I'd pull 'em when the still-closed caps begin to lighten up in color, which happens just before the veil breaks (so the clump next to the large mushroom whose cap has already opened is ready for harvesting IMO).

Also, next time you might want to avoid aluminum trays. They have an annoying tendency to dissolve, often causing numerous little pinholes to form (hold the tray up to a bright light after the grow is done and dumped and you'll probably see a few). Whether the missing aluminum is being taken up by the mycelium and concentrated in the mushrooms is still unknown, and if it is then it could be a problem (and higher fungi have been proven to be effective at bioremediation of heavy metals by hyper-accumulating them in the fruitbodies, so that may also be the case with aluminum; better safe than sorry IMO).

But if that's your first tray, you're doing better than 90+% of growers who try bulk subs for the first time (including myself; it took me over a year of massive -and mostly wasted- efforts before I finally succeeded, but in my defense that was way back before there was an online mushroom community to ask questions of and get advice from, and for that matter it was even before the original PF TEK came out).

So... congratulations! :thumbs_up:

• MLBjammer and The1unknown like this

#6 Zenmaine

Zenmaine

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 10:58 PM

Great thanks for the tip guys. I harvested the big one and its cluster. Also took a tissue sample of it as it may be the biggest one iv had.. Placed it on some agar and hoping for the best. Good to know about the aluminum. Im making the switch to plastic totes now*just colonized my bulk substrate in one last night. The trays where sort of just a test run to see if I know what im doing haha.

#7 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,379 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 March 2017 - 04:05 AM

Nice work.  Yes, I take partial harvests all the time.

#8 fahtster

fahtster

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,657 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 March 2017 - 03:07 AM

Also, If you don't want to harvest a whole cluster just because there's one large fruit that's starting to sporelate, you can simply cut the big one with a scissors down to the point where the cluster is undisturbed. The stump left over will be fine.. probably blue up a bit and start to get a lil fuzzy, but it'll be fine until the rest of the cluster is ready. :thumbs_up:

Faht

Edited by fahtster, 14 March 2017 - 03:08 AM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!