19 replies to this topic

#1 Ramble

Ramble

Mycophage

• Black VIP
  • 177 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 10:41 AM

Hey fellow topians,
It's been a while, life gets busy sometimes, but my desire to become a better and more knowledgeable mycologist is an ever nagging thought. I got this book from Lady Ramble for my birthday and holy sit it's incredible!!! I highly recommend that everybody at least picks it up and gives it at least a skim.20170309_083609.jpg
  • MLBjammer, Spliff, Arathu and 7 others like this

#2 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,419 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 March 2017 - 12:27 PM

Nice myco-bible, lol.
  • Ramble and cap10cubensis like this

#3 Ramble

Ramble

Mycophage

• Black VIP
  • 177 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 03:45 PM

Have you read it Jammer? It's fucking phenomenal!!!!

Edited by Ramble, 09 March 2017 - 03:47 PM.

• MLBjammer likes this

#4 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

[^._.^]ノ彡 & /|\( ;,;)/|\

• OG VIP
  • 8,512 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 March 2017 - 03:48 PM

That Stamets guy is going places.
  • TVCasualty, MLBjammer, Arathu and 2 others like this

#5 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,202 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 March 2017 - 03:51 PM

I have most of Paul's works...............this and Growing Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms are great reads and reference (TEXT BOOKS) for all of us. He is definitely going places...................

A

• MLBjammer, Alder Logs, Needles and 1 other like this

#6 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• OG VIP
  • 9,882 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 March 2017 - 04:24 PM

You bet your stem butt!   I have both of those on my coffee table, right next to the Shiitake Growers Handbook (Stamets cites that one).

Edited by Alder Logs, 09 March 2017 - 04:25 PM.

• MLBjammer, Arathu, CatsAndBats and 1 other like this

#7 tailsmcsnails

tailsmcsnails

"DOOR"

• Gold VIP
  • 500 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 March 2017 - 06:46 PM

der, I just realised I work at a University and have access to All of the Books (and journals)... thanks for the nudge!!

• MLBjammer, Arathu, riseabovethought and 1 other like this

#8 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• OG VIP
  • 10,735 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 March 2017 - 07:20 PM

I seem to have received the 102nd copy of the first edition printed (since I was late in ordering; I'd placed my order the moment I heard about it being published but I guess 101 other people got around to it before I did since Stamets signed my copy with "#102" above his sig, lol).

But what actually made me a successful propagator of fungi was hanging out at this website. Thanks to what I learned here, I'm in a much better position to apply what I learned from that book (which I hope to do at a much larger scale soon, mainly in the context of bioremediation).

• Arathu, riseabovethought, SteampunkScientist and 3 others like this

#9 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,202 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 March 2017 - 07:34 PM

Look at all the mycophiles reflecting on the data streams that sparked their collective actions.....Books and websites (certainly Topia but others too), other folks of like mind .........somehow I think Stamets and several others are involved WAY MORE than can be told...........................and even they are agents of the fungi which are agents of the dirt making machine which belongs to MOM, that brings life to the surface of our home..............it's a big picture to grasp IMHO. I wonder of inter planetary travel of spores and bacteria...............I have so many books it's my own private library................That's in part what I do in place of TV, radio, and other distractions.

Read, study, apply, observe, repeat ........................... ad infintum................

• SteampunkScientist, Ramble, OldBear and 1 other like this

#10 Spliff

Spliff

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 539 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 12:03 AM

Picked up my copy a few months ago! Writing this makes me want to go through it again, and again, and again...

#11 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,202 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 March 2017 - 12:38 AM

mycotopia.jpg

Opposite the copyright page in Growing Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms

• MLBjammer, Spliff, Alder Logs and 2 others like this

#12 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,419 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 March 2017 - 03:41 AM

Have you read it Jammer? It's fucking phenomenal!!!!

I read it years ago.  It is a very good book.  But, like TV said,  I have learned way more right here than I ever got from any book.

#13 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,419 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 March 2017 - 03:42 AM

attachicon.gifmycotopia.jpg

Opposite the copyright page in Growing Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms

I wonder if that's where H3 got the name?  Who knows?  He was definitely well-read.

• Arathu and SteampunkScientist like this

#14 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

Distinguished Mad Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,722 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 March 2017 - 07:36 AM

Oh my Goddess! Now I have to go out and get even more books!  :biggrin:

• Arathu and Ramble like this

#15 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,202 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 March 2017 - 08:17 AM

The Goddess is steering you right Steampunk..............it happens.........

IMHO Stamets is worth supporting.................

:meditate:

A

• shoomer and Ramble like this

#16 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• OG VIP
  • 9,882 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 March 2017 - 11:22 AM

My only gripe about Stamets is that he seems as uptight about his intellectual property rights as the Walt Disney Corp.   This arises out of my own particular mentality and sense of morality where my view is this:

"If people want something,

sell it to them.

If they need something,

give it to them."

I can forgive him for just doing what he was trained to do.  I will hope we all can continue to evolve past the socio/economic jungle eventually.  We are, after all, in this together.   But then, I don't know how much it actually hurts him if someone copies a picture out of his catalog.   It could slow the progress of man.   John Donoghue, coauthor of The Shiitake Growers Handbook, talking to me on the phone, just chuckled ironically when I noted how Stamets had used his work in print.  

Edited by Alder Logs, 17 March 2017 - 11:25 AM.

• Arathu and SteampunkScientist like this

#17 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,202 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 March 2017 - 11:47 AM

I wish we could purge the collective consciousness of this ME DISEASE and replace it with US (NOT U.S. but us as in us all together) on a global scale..........I struggle with it all the time myself and it takes a concerted effort to deprogram. Things became much easier for me when I ended my participation with the TV and other forms of ongoing commercial programming. Advertising IS the way to get rid of your uncle Arathu.....he will quietly depart the scene......

Intellectual property rights..................what the fuck does that actually mean? The ego claims to owns spirit? Holy fuck we have chronic terminal EGOITIS infections...........some folks actually believe their broken parts are going to paradise, as if deity wants big old human ego's shitting on another paradise and claiming dominion over the cesspools.....................

I still think his work of great value...........capitalism I'm not so sure of anymore. I could be convinced of trying alternatives......like any other junkie I'll have make these changes myself............IF I expect to recover.......

A   

#18 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• OG VIP
  • 10,735 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 April 2017 - 06:42 PM

Intellectual property rights..................what the fuck does that actually mean?

It means you don't get fucked out of making a living from what you have created. It's also abused by corporate interests in a way that is contrary to its original purpose/intent. But protecting your 'intellectual' creations is the gist of it and it's rather important for those of us still caught in the illusion that we need to pay our bills.

• CatsAndBats likes this

#19 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,202 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 April 2017 - 07:58 PM

Intellectual property rights..................what the fuck does that actually mean?

It means you don't get fucked out of making a living from what you have created. It's also abused by corporate interests in a way that is contrary to its original purpose/intent. But protecting your 'intellectual' creations is the gist of it and it's rather important for those of us still caught in the illusion that we need to pay our bills.

Right on.....enjoy.............I definitely don't pay any illusory bills, they're real as fuck for now.............. 

Edited by Arathu, 10 April 2017 - 07:59 PM.

#20 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

[^._.^]ノ彡 & /|\( ;,;)/|\

• OG VIP
  • 8,512 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 April 2017 - 08:03 PM

Right on.....enjoy.............I definitely don't pay any illusory bills, they're real as fuck for now.............. 

for now..

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!