#21 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,484 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 March 2017 - 12:16 AM

I might give that a try mate. I have never tried making hash with water just dry sieving.

Mate the next time you use fresh plants please show us a pic of the product, is it real sticky.

I have heard of people rubbing fresh plants then taking the hash off their hands. I don't think I
will try hand rubbing unless I had a field of cannabis.
  • Lakegal7 likes this

#22 mate0x

mate0x

st0ned

• OG VIP
  • 4,607 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 March 2017 - 12:20 AM

Yea man, I have 2 pretty long threads here - I make hash in both of them I think.

I will be logging this entire new setup on here, youtube, and I am setting up a website/blog too.

• Hash_Man, PirateFarmer, Heirloom and 1 other like this

#23 PirateFarmer

PirateFarmer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 614 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 03:30 PM

Lakegal: f1 is just the first generation of hybrid: An F1 hybrid (or filial 1 hybrid) is the first filial generation of offspring of distinctly different parental types. F1 hybrids are used in genetics, and in selective breeding, where it may appear as F1 crossbreed. The term is sometimes written with a subscript, as F1 hybrid.

Edited by PirateFarmer, 27 March 2017 - 03:32 PM.

• Lakegal7 likes this

#24 Lakegal7

Lakegal7

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 454 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 March 2017 - 04:25 PM

Thanks Pirate farmer,
Am I understanding that when it says landrace, it's the original plant from one of the original areas that cannabus was discovered
like Pakistan, Asia etc

With all the hybrid strains, they are not always true. Maybe one of the parent traits come through?
My raspberry cough is suposed to be a 70% sativa and 30% indica. But so far it looks like a 100% indica

#25 PirateFarmer

PirateFarmer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 614 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 03:37 PM

Lakegal: Here is a very good explanation of landrace, as it applies to this discussion, from wikipedia:

A landrace is a domesticated, locally adapted,[1][2][3] traditional variety[4] of a species of animal or plant that has developed over time, through adaptation to its natural and cultural environment of agriculture and pastoralism, and due to isolation from other populations of the species.[1] Landraces are generally distinguished from cultivars, and from breeds in the standardized sense, although the term landrace breed is sometimes used as distinguished from the term standardized breed when referring to cattle.[5] The -race in this word refers to the taxonomic definition of race in biology, not the ethnographic sense of the word.

Specimens of a landrace tend to be relatively genetically uniform, but are more diverse than members of a standardized or formal breed.[1] Some standardized animal breeds originate from attempts to make landraces more consistent through selective breeding and a landrace may become a more formal breed with the creation of a breed registry and/or publication of a breed standard. In such a case, the landrace may be thought of as a "stage" in breed development. However, in other cases, formalizing a landrace may result in the genetic resource of a landrace being lost through crossbreeding.[1] Landraces are distinct from ancestral wild species of modern stock, and from separate species or subspecies derived from the same ancestor as modern domestic stock. Landraces are not all derived from ancient stock largely unmodified by human breeding interests. In a number of cases, most commonly dogs and horses, domestic animals have escaped in sufficient numbers in an area to breed feral populations that, through evolutionary pressure, can form new landraces in only a few centuries. In other cases, simple failure to maintain breeding regimens can do the same.[citation needed] For example, selectively bred cultivars can become new landraces when loosely selective reproduction is applied.[6]

Increasing adoption of and reliance upon modern, purposefully selected plant strains, considered improved – "scientifically bred to be uniform and stable"[7] – has led to a reduction in biodiversity.[7][8] The majority of the genetic diversity of domesticated species lies in landraces and other traditionally used varieties,[8] a "reservoir of genetic resources".[7]

• Lakegal7 likes this

#26 PirateFarmer

PirateFarmer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 614 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 03:54 PM

So, it could come from anywhere, really. Basically, when you don't 'improve' the strain by out-crossing, and it adapts to your own micro-climate, it becomes a landrace, eventually. The hemp (AKA 'ditchweed') found along road beds in Texas that grew 'wild' after they shut down all the hemp fields there way back when they outlaws mj, has adapted and is now a landrace. Ever see an old, abandoned homestead, with an apple orchard gone wild? Old tree might have dies off by now, and its seedlings from the apples has grown up...no one waters or fertilizes it, but it puts out some apples...that would also be a landrace. A neighbor of mine was telling me yesterday of a show on Viceland that was about some people that went up some river in Africa, looking for an old, original landrace mj to bring back for breeding purposes. I'd love to see that show. From my understanding, this is along the lines of what Mandala Seeds does/has done from several places around the world. Landraces would definitely be open-pollinated and great for seed-saving from grows.

FYI: I am most definitely NOT a 'breeder' and only know the basics of the subject. I am, however, a small produce farmer, and save seeds from more and more of my fruits and vegetables, to build sustainability and independence from not just the high costs of buying seeds each year, but also lower the risks of importing mj seeds. With my produce, I just (try) select the plants that perform best in my environment, based on my preferred values. I don't think I'm really 'improving' a breed or strain, but probably more of just saving/maintaining selections that others before me have worked so hard to develop and preserve. 

I'd sure like to hear from others on here that know of other seedbanks that might have OP mj seeds.

• Juthro and Lakegal7 like this

#27 Lakegal7

Lakegal7

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 454 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 April 2017 - 01:39 PM

Thankyou Pirate Farmer, I'll need to reread this again so some of it sticks in my noggin
That's cool that you grow foods for sale
  • PirateFarmer likes this

#28 PirateFarmer

PirateFarmer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 614 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 01:59 PM

I don't certify organic, but thus keeping my costs down...I believe in the motto of 'know your farmer = know your food'. Same should be the same w/ mj, methinks.

#29 PirateFarmer

PirateFarmer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 614 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 03:21 PM

Done it = 26+ ounces of bud...is now 72 grams of blondish hash. Is that a fair amount of return on the ratio? Still collecting feedback on the quality. Will post results, if wanted? Anyways, no personal computer, right now - only public, so can't post the photos of it. (For now - I'm shopping for a laptop). It's fairly - medium - sticky.

Edited by PirateFarmer, 02 May 2017 - 03:25 PM.

• Lakegal7 likes this

#30 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,484 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 May 2017 - 04:38 PM

It would depend on the quality of the bud . I get about 8 grams hash per ounce of bud, less if I do leaf. Did you use multiple bags?

After shaling out my hash , I use the weed to make oil and get a fair amount per oz.

No hurry, hope you find a good deal on a new laptop.

Edited by Heirloom Spores, 02 May 2017 - 04:39 PM.

• Lakegal7 likes this

#31 PirateFarmer

PirateFarmer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 614 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 05:36 PM

Yup - 73, then 45, then 24 (I think the last one was).

• Lakegal7 likes this

#32 PirateFarmer

PirateFarmer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 614 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 03:50 PM

Jeez, but am I popular around this town, now.

Teeheeheehee....

#33 Lakegal7

Lakegal7

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 454 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 May 2017 - 11:06 PM

Hey Pirate Farmer, can't wait to see pictures when your able
I did end up making some pressed thanks to my hubby who made some dies.
After a bit of shall we say..practice, we managed 2 hash chunks 3/4 x3/4 x 1/8 thick
I will get some pictures.
Even after pressing it real good, it's still a bit soft.
Have you ever heard about heating up the outer shell of pressed hash?
I'd love to see a documentary on how the Morracans do their hash.
Of course I've also heard rumors that everything from camel piss to ???
was added. I'm sure camel piss is not involved, but ya just never know..; )
  • PirateFarmer likes this

#34 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,484 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 May 2017 - 11:36 PM

I hope I need a hash press this fall, I don't want to be popular though, maybe with friends and family.A book that just about hashish by the cannabis botanist Robert Connel Clarke, he holds the paten on skunk #1 registered in The Netherlands.

Morrocan is just trichomes no camel piss, national Geographic did a show on Morrocan hash , showed it being made and hash oil in 5 gallon buckets maybe youtube has it.

Attached Thumbnails

• AHBO 002.JPG

Edited by Heirloom , 25 May 2017 - 11:41 PM.

• PirateFarmer and Lakegal7 like this

#35 Lakegal7

Lakegal7

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 454 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 May 2017 - 01:07 PM

I did end up on UTube last night. I did watch a 6 minute video that took 15 due to buffering..
This guy put a little water on it then squished it up like play doe then tossed it on his cooking flame,
then flipped it and continued working it. He ended up with a blister on the palm of his hand
which told me just how much he worked it. Interesting
Here's my small endeavor. Like I said, it's a bit soft still

image.jpeg
Here are some moon rocks I made with tiny buds
image.jpeg
Sorry about the side shot 2x of my press

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg

• Hash_Man, mate0x, PirateFarmer and 1 other like this

#36 PirateFarmer

PirateFarmer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 614 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 06:46 PM

Lakegal = Awesome!! That looks just beautiful! Nope - never heard of heating the edges...I do wonder why mine came out so light colored. It's got a green hue to it, and is 'tacky' = having a somewhat sticky feel to it, and especially sticks t the blade when I cut off a chunk...crumbles a bit with any touch of a finger, though. Heirloom - Here's hoping for you needing a press! I place it all in a large ziplock, and placed it in an old frying pan I use to feed treats to the critters in...placed a smaller, similar pan on top, took my screwjack w/ a 4x4 on top (stabilized the pans), and stuck it under my camp trailer...and went at it. I just got me a laptop, so will take photos and post the finished product, here. *ahem* well, what's left of it, anyways. *teeheehee*

• Juthro, Heirloom and Lakegal7 like this

#37 Lakegal7

Lakegal7

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 454 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 June 2017 - 11:53 AM

Can't wait to see some picture Pirate
My hash crumbles a little bit too
I am going to look for that book that
Heirloom has. I would love to watch more videos
on UTube but find it frustrating waiting
on the buffering.
Books are always my first choice when learning something
I've got 2 qt. jars of sugar leaf
And am going to devote a qt. jar of bud for my next batch.
Was thinking of just putting it in the deep freeze this round
instead of buying dry ice.
  • PirateFarmer and Heirloom like this

#38 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,124 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 June 2017 - 12:51 PM

Lakegal, I have pics on here somewhere of Nirvana's Aurora Indica, you will like that. Pirate Farmer, man sell a couple oz and buy some bubble bags. They will be the best couple hundred dollars you will ever invest into your product, and last for years with heavy use and make some of the cleanest best hash you will come across short of extracts. Took me years to even see wear on my mixing bag and the first time I used them I made 140 dry grams of hash in one weekend. With the bubble bags, you just mold the hash into shapes with your fingers when it is damp, I made little 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch cubes for the high grade, and little balls for the lower grade, and lower grade was as good as any hash I ever bought back in the day when that was a popular thing.

Some of the best hash I ever made came from fresh undried trimmings. My oh my that stuff was damn near psychedelic. So strong I gave away eigths of it as gifts when I had to go on a two year hiatus from smoking, and when I was able to smoke again, two different people gave me back most of that eigth I gave them! I like the dry ice kief as well, but I would have to give the nod of preference to bubblehash. Either way will get you there, but the bubble hash is more like the classic product.

Peace...

• PirateFarmer, Heirloom and Lakegal7 like this

#39 PirateFarmer

PirateFarmer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 614 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 04:06 PM

Coopdog - Bubblebags ARE what I used...and love them. I followed the vids that another member posted a link to, on this thread, and shook them out onto a large window pane...then scraped the resins up, put into a large ziplock & pressed it...started with 26 oz of NL bud and ended up w/ 72 grams of hash. 

• Coopdog and Lakegal7 like this

#40 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,124 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 June 2017 - 01:34 AM

Posted that post before I read the second page. They are a very good investment and some of the best money I ever spent on my grows.

• PirateFarmer and Juthro like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!