• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 yukonmycelium

yukonmycelium

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 31 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 05:09 PM

ok !! pretty much name says it all i have 2 jars growing mushrooms in them one just had full coverage about a day maybe 2 ago.... the other id say has a nickle size gap in the bottom of the jar that is not fully colonized...... is this ok to leave until full colonization or should i birth these now ?????????

#2 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 3,780 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 March 2017 - 06:38 PM

Leaving things invitro is not a problem. They will grow to maturity in the jars. Birthing partially colonized substrates could/would likely cause you troubles IME. Take the jar with the uncolonized patch and mark the glass with a sharpie (it comes off with rubbing alcohol afterwards) around the edge of the growth so you can monitor and see if it has just slowed or completely stopped. IME patience is generally the best course of action BUT stalled cakes/sub can be "operated" on, as in cutting away the parts that did not colonize, and still fruit. Bacterial contamination is a common cause of such things. Check for bad smells and watch closely, isolate it if necessary.

The cake that fully colonized, let it go a few days before birthing to FC. It won't hurt it............... good vibes man....good vibes 

• ChimX, Microbe, yukonmycelium and 1 other like this

#3 tailsmcsnails

tailsmcsnails

mycochimp

• Gold VIP
  • 352 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 March 2017 - 09:04 PM

I have exact same situation thanks!

#4 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,261 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 March 2017 - 09:07 PM

Just leave them till you are ready to birth.  They will be okay until then.  

All processes are slowed down in true invitro.

#5 yukonmycelium

yukonmycelium

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 31 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 11:55 PM

Thanx !!!!!!!

Edited by yukonmycelium, 11 March 2017 - 12:30 AM.

• MLBjammer likes this

#6 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,261 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 March 2017 - 05:34 AM

My pleasure, Yukon.

• yukonmycelium likes this

#7 tailsmcsnails

tailsmcsnails

mycochimp

• Gold VIP
  • 352 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 March 2017 - 09:18 PM

I just thought you guys would be amused to know that yesterday I drew black sharpie around the outline of the uncolonised zone.

Today I freaked out because my mycelium had weird black mold all round the edges.

Edited by tailsmcsnails, 11 March 2017 - 09:19 PM.

• MLBjammer, coorsmikey, Arathu and 1 other like this

#8 yukonmycelium

yukonmycelium

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 31 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 10:52 PM

Hey tailsmcsnails got any pics ??? And mlbjammer---arathu ... is it worth it to keep the Lil guys from the jars??

#9 tailsmcsnails

tailsmcsnails

mycochimp

• Gold VIP
  • 352 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 March 2017 - 11:09 PM

Hey tailsmcsnails got any pics ??? And mlbjammer---arathu ... is it worth it to keep the Lil guys from the jars??

if you really want to see black sharpie being mistaken for mold by a crazy lady, I could post a pic ;-)

#10 yukonmycelium

yukonmycelium

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 31 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 12:01 AM

Ha no need tailsmcsnails I misunderstood!!!!!!

#11 tailsmcsnails

tailsmcsnails

mycochimp

• Gold VIP
  • 352 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 March 2017 - 12:20 AM

Ha no need tailsmcsnails I misunderstood!!!!!!

Haha I know but check these out anyway55cac02431c63df4a110295a82ee1ec8.jpg
  • fahtster, coorsmikey and yukonmycelium like this

#12 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,261 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 March 2017 - 02:40 AM

Those are too big to dunk, but they look great.

As far as keeping aborts, heck, yeah--they are very strong.

• Arathu and ChimX like this

#13 tailsmcsnails

tailsmcsnails

mycochimp

• Gold VIP
  • 352 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 March 2017 - 03:24 AM

Those are too big to dunk, but they look great.

As far as keeping aborts, heck, yeah--they are very strong.

oh- (sorry yukon for stealing your thread)... should I keep waiting for full colonisation?  Or move into FC now?  Still wait a week?  And does too big to dunk mean that they won't survive dunking so I should pick them... or something else?

• MLBjammer likes this

#14 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,261 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 March 2017 - 10:46 AM

They look pretty well colonized to me, Tails.  Are the bottoms not colonized completely or something like that?

Yeah, if they are colonized, I would move them into fruiting mode.  I would add some double-end casings, water those occasionally, and you should be set.

I just mean that the pins are too big to survive a dunk.  If you don't knock the pins off the cake when birthing, they will continue growing in your FC.  Sometimes when you birth cakes, it can take a little pounding on a catalog or phone book to slide them out of the jars.

Yes, you have sharpie contams, lol.  I have had those, too :biggrin:

• yukonmycelium likes this

#15 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 6,883 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 March 2017 - 12:22 PM

Not to butt in but one could flip those jars, put out in the light for a week or so and let them fatten up a bit, harvest, dunk and double case for the second flush.

Edited by roc, 12 March 2017 - 12:25 PM.

• MLBjammer, spunforfun, Arathu and 2 others like this

#16 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,261 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 March 2017 - 03:24 PM

You aren't butting in at all, Roc.  Always good to hear from you--and that is also an excellent idea.

• roc, spunforfun and tailsmcsnails like this

#17 tailsmcsnails

tailsmcsnails

mycochimp

• Gold VIP
  • 352 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 March 2017 - 04:33 PM

yes it's just the bottom hasn't 100% colonised.  The sharpie contam is holding fast, I don't see any new growth so I think when I get home from work this arvo I'm gonna be a midwife.

Question about those lil aborts: everyone says they're strong?  Well I have never taken mushrooms before so I need some guidance on how many aborts to eat (without fatally underdosing) or just save them and wait til the rest of the harvest.  I feel like they want me to eat them now, Alice in Wonderland style.  

• MLBjammer likes this

#18 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,261 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 March 2017 - 05:02 PM

Just measure aborts like you would a regular dose.  Figure two grams of aborts might be as strong as maybe three grams of fully matured fruits.  I save the aborts up for special occasions.

One of the fondest moments of my life was tripping my ass off from fruits that I grew.  Enjoy that moment when it comes.  Make sure you are in a good place, positive people, etc.

If the bottoms of the jars have not finished colonized, definitely let them finish before you undertake your midwifery, lol.  It should only take a couple days, from the looks of those jars.

• roc, coorsmikey and yukonmycelium like this

#19 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 3,780 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 March 2017 - 05:09 PM

Hell yeah....pins will hammer you.......................just a word of caution though. Never harvest wild pins. It's too easy to get a wrong one mixed in..........but in jars you've grown..........OH MY!

Tails those look great......the mycelium won't colonize the dry verm. It's a barrier for to keep contaminants off the nutritious substrate below until the target fungi colonizes it......

At this point I like Roc's suggestion.........pop, harvest, dunk, and move to fruiting............then you can draw on things with markers in technicolor while the second flush comes on..........

A

• roc, yukonmycelium and tailsmcsnails like this

#20 tailsmcsnails

tailsmcsnails

mycochimp

• Gold VIP
  • 352 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 March 2017 - 05:39 PM

oh I should clarify, it's the bottom of the jars that hasn't finished colonising.  

I'm wondering if it's because it's kind of a thin layer of rice flour down there, very dense like fine silt.  Do you think it can be colonised?

bottom.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mod, newest, python

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!