• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 amnije

amnije

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 70 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 12:19 PM

If I add 2 or 3 times the amount of LC into a BRF cake will it promote or inhibit mycilly growth?

#2 Newmusher

Newmusher

New

• Free Member
  • 142 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 01:13 PM

Likely inhibit, it could cause the cake to become soggy. You dont really need a lot when it comes to LC.
  • MLBjammer, peacefrog and orangutan like this

#3 orangutan

orangutan

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 255 posts

Donator

Posted 11 March 2017 - 01:39 PM

I agree with newmusher.  You don't want to cakes to become wet.  That would suffocate the mycelium and also invite contaminants.  Add just enough LC to get it going.  "Too much of a good thing"

• MLBjammer and peacefrog like this

#4 fahtster

fahtster

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,670 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 March 2017 - 01:57 PM

Also agree, but you could do some experiments where you make the cakes with less water so that you can add more LI when you inoculate. I'm sure there's a breaking point (too less of water may cause the contents to burn/scorch, etc). I can see other problems arising (possibly) too... such as not enough osmosis taking place--some parts of the cake remain too dry, some too wet, but I suppose that's what experiments are for. :thumbs_up:

Faht

Edited by fahtster, 11 March 2017 - 01:58 PM.

• MLBjammer, Arathu and peacefrog like this

#5 amnije

amnije

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 70 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 04:22 PM

Thanks to all!

#6 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• OG VIP
  • 1,568 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 March 2017 - 06:56 PM

You can do that, I do it every time I use cakes but with LI instead. But as said above, you don't want your moisture content to be too wet. It can take some experimentation, as faht said.

It depends on what you are trying to accomplish and how much LI/LC you are planning on using per jar. As said above, it doesn't take much at all. However, I like to get as much in there as possible while not messing up the moisture content of the substrate. This is why I only use my hands to test for moisture instead of using a recipe. But that's just me and what I prefer.

What I do is prepare the cake material slightly shy of field capacity i.e. when squeezed, it makes a mushy sound and holds its shape, but no water drips from my fist. Then for 1/2 pints I use a full 10 ccs syringe of LI per jar. For 1/4 pint jelly jars, I use 1/2 a syringe per jar. The moisture content comes out fine in the end.

Here is an example of a 1/4 pint pan cake after recovery using that much inoculant:
IMG_0279.JPG

My 2 cents.
  • MLBjammer and orangutan like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!