• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 CharonTruffleHunt

CharonTruffleHunt

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 30 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 10:32 AM

I was visiting my friend this weekend who tends to smoke a lot more marijuana than me. When she found out that I was using scissors to cut, she started laughing and asked me why I don't use a grinder. To me, it always seemed like something unnecessary for the amount that I smoke, but she told me I'd save time by just getting an inexpensive weed grinder. I've never used a grinder but is it really much better than using scissors? I'm sure it's more efficient with time but is it really a significant difference? And is there any other reason to use one? She told me about "keef" or whatever but I don't know that I smoke enough to find that vital to my experience. 

• Lakegal7 likes this

#2 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,450 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 March 2017 - 10:49 AM

a grinder is only good for one thing. scissors are a multi use tool and cheaper than the cheapest grinder. there are always going to be conoisiers in the crowd. at least they laugh at you instead of with you so they can be easily ignored.

• Lakegal7 and CharonTruffleHunt like this

#3 fungi2bwith

fungi2bwith

cat-monkey

• OG VIP
  • 1,502 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 March 2017 - 10:55 AM

using scissors and fingers causes more loss of trichomes......but probably not noticeable at that moment.......A grinder with a "pollen" screen will catch all those trich's that you lose, and you can come back and smoke them as hash when you get enough saved up......It's like having a pair of scissors that gives you frequent flier miles.....

I notice that my change in conservation of precious herbal materials changes with the availability to them.....If I'm swimming in herb and its everywhere to be had, I could care less about saving kief......but if I'm hard up and the well's run dry, well, at least I have a back up.....

Edited by fungi2bwith, 13 March 2017 - 10:57 AM.

• Myc, Lakegal7, sillyrabbitcubiesR4us and 2 others like this

#4 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

[^._.^]ノ彡 & /|\( ;,;)/|\

• OG VIP
  • 7,982 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 March 2017 - 03:05 PM

The keef catcher!
  • Lakegal7, sillyrabbitcubiesR4us and CharonTruffleHunt like this

#5 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 5,277 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 March 2017 - 05:09 PM

I like a grinder - former scissor user. 

As stated above, it cuts down on the handling of the herb. Fewer trichomes on your hands and fingers.

Ditto the hash screen. Noting like a dose of golden pollen on top of a bowl of herb.

It also serve as an "equalizer". 

Those little nodes and notches in the buds are broken down into a more smoke-able aggregate which spreads more evenly through the ground batch. This is awesome when rolling joints - producing a nice, even consistent aggregate which produces no blowouts or punch-through of the paper. 

Then, when you get into desperate times (heaven forbid) - you'll have some of the most awesome, deep red-brown,  waxy residue to scrape from your grinder with a popsicle stick or other wooden appliance. This can be dabbed on a titanium nail and heater rig for vaping (or just laid onto a bowl of herb). 

If you scrape an aluminum grinder with metallic tools, you will wind up with metal flakes in your recovered effort. Use wood or plastic. 

• Lakegal7, sillyrabbitcubiesR4us and CharonTruffleHunt like this

#6 Neptunechild

Neptunechild

Cactus Wizard

• OG VIP
  • 641 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 March 2017 - 05:22 PM

Grinder for all the reasons already stated plus you don't get sticky fingaz, plus you don't get pollen onto your fingers as much to rub them in your eyes because of your highness. Sticky fingaz are funny, sticky burning eyes are not-é !

• Lakegal7 and CharonTruffleHunt like this

#7 dead_diver

dead_diver

Stoned Since '76

• Free Member
  • 3,470 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 March 2017 - 08:08 PM

I live in a weed unfriendly state. A grinder is just another piece of paraphernalia I have to worry about hiding from the cops. It's so bad here I will only bring joints with me to smoke when I leave the house because I can't eat a pipe while I'm getting pulled over by a cop.
  • Juthro, sillyrabbitcubiesR4us and CharonTruffleHunt like this

#8 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 4,751 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 March 2017 - 11:28 PM

I've never used one, but I would be willing to try :)

I use scissors, but they are a PITA. I find I often am too lazy, and just stuff a chunk in the pipe and call it good. Though I do prefer a big fatty. I find the smoke to be smoother, and to taste better in a joint.

post-136504-0-64212300-1489465684.png

untitled.png

Edited by Juthro, 13 March 2017 - 11:29 PM.

• CharonTruffleHunt likes this

#9 Neptunechild

Neptunechild

Cactus Wizard

• OG VIP
  • 641 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 March 2017 - 12:19 PM

It's so bad here I will only bring joints with me to smoke when I leave the house because I can't eat a pipe while I'm getting pulled over by a cop.

Man even if it totally sucks for you, that sounds brilliant and hilariously funny !

Peace

• CharonTruffleHunt likes this

#10 CharonTruffleHunt

CharonTruffleHunt

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 30 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 12:23 PM

Ok, after reading these responses, I feel like I need a grinder. I'm assuming it's a good idea to avoid plastic, but I still want something affordable so I don't spend a ton of money on a fancy grinder and decide after a few days it's not really my thing. I found some cheap weed grinders in metal but I don't know if there's anything I need to watch out for like metal flakes or anything like that? What's a reasonable price to pay for a grinder that's cheap enough as an introductory grinder but not totally terrible in quality? 

#11 sillyrabbitcubiesR4us

sillyrabbitcubiesR4us

wanderess

• 607 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 March 2017 - 12:31 PM

My dad used a mortar and pestle growing up, and I just shook my head, but it worked. I felt useless trying to roll joins with cut up ganja, so I usually have a grinder around unless I'm out and about, then only joints. Grinders afford me many great conveniences (Some are): Plenty of readily available FLUFFY green. With a quarter thrown in there, you create plenty of kief. I like to clean things, and it gives me great satisfaction to clean them. Not to mention, I keep all of my green in an airtight container, and at the beginning of every day, I grind up enough for most of the day. It's just a nice creature comfort accessory.

• Juthro and CharonTruffleHunt like this

#12 fungi2bwith

fungi2bwith

cat-monkey

• OG VIP
  • 1,502 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 March 2017 - 03:07 PM

https://www.groupon....CFVBhfgodQjEMEA

• Juthro and CharonTruffleHunt like this

#13 CharonTruffleHunt

CharonTruffleHunt

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 30 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 12:34 PM

Whoa, thanks! I can't believe a titanium grinder is that cheap!

#14 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 5,277 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 March 2017 - 04:21 PM

http://www.sharpstonegrinders.com/

I like the 2.5" which lists for 27.95.

The machine work done on these units is pretty darn good. The threads at the joints are nice and tight. Well done for milled aluminum. 

My only complaint is that if you get casual about "stuffing" herb into the grinder (overloading), the grinding tines will break. 

That titanium unit looks very promising - especially @ 9.00. 

Thanks for the turn-on. For the price, it's well worth trying out. 

• sillyrabbitcubiesR4us and CharonTruffleHunt like this

#15 fungi2bwith

fungi2bwith

cat-monkey

• OG VIP
  • 1,502 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 March 2017 - 01:53 AM

I've got a cheap little stainless steel one just like the one I listed above, just about the same size too.....It's small enough to where it's easy to transport, if needed, and grinds just about a joints worth....so perfect for what I need......

• CatsAndBats and CharonTruffleHunt like this

#16 Lakegal7

Lakegal7

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 358 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 March 2017 - 04:34 PM

Ran outta likes
Fungi, that's the best price on grinders I've ever seen
Myc, the grinders on your post are nice looking.
Have always been drawn to the hand crank models but too damn
cheap to purchase one
Grinders are great especially for joints, and having the Keif trap is like finding
the toy at the bottom of a cereal box, but I find myself just pinching off a little
nug and torching it. I live in a legal state and even though I'm drowning in what I grow
I find myself getting into one of many varieties I've purchased depending on the mood I'm in
So instead of mixing up my bud in a grinder and loosing track of what I last ground up, I lazily pinch
off. Grinders do make a nicer smoke though
For the sake of coming off pretentiousness, I'm not really drowning in cannabus, I just
don't need to smoke a ton to get high
  • Myc likes this

#17 fungi2bwith

fungi2bwith

cat-monkey

• OG VIP
  • 1,502 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 March 2017 - 04:54 PM

this is mine.....I actually got it for free with the purchase of a shitty "vaporizer" from China.....via Ebay......I think I paid like 14$ total for the combo.....this was years ago. The vape was in the trash the first week I had it, but hey, I still have the grinder....

Also....The screens on these small grinders get clogged after a good amount of use. I find that rubbing alc. and a q-tip are perfect for cleaning it. Mine needs a cleaning...

IMG_20170316_144913866.jpg

Edited by fungi2bwith, 16 March 2017 - 04:55 PM.

#18 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 5,277 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 March 2017 - 05:00 PM

@Lakegal7 You've touched upon another interesting subject which I've never seen discussed here before.

Blending.

Once can "custom blend" their various different herb types to make the perfect smoke. 

I got the idea from Camel cigarettes. 

Just that right amount of Sativa with a little Indica thrown in and you have a "working" smoke. Giddy up and go. 

Or tune the mix for couchlock - whatever the preference for the mood. 

• sillyrabbitcubiesR4us likes this

#19 fungi2bwith

fungi2bwith

cat-monkey

• OG VIP
  • 1,502 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 March 2017 - 05:28 PM

@Lakegal7 You've touched upon another interesting subject which I've never seen discussed here before.

Blending.

Once can "custom blend" their various different herb types to make the perfect smoke. 

I got the idea from Camel cigarettes. 

Just that right amount of Sativa with a little Indica thrown in and you have a "working" smoke. Giddy up and go. 

Or tune the mix for couchlock - whatever the preference for the mood. 

I call that a "mixed green salad".....and it works well at the right moments....these days with access to strains that suit me perfectly, "salads" have since become a thing of the past....

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!