Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Dont put that in your pipe and smoke it......

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Seeker2be

Seeker2be

Seeking Lost Horizons

• OG VIP
  • 1,199 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 March 2017 - 11:43 AM

http://www.cbsnews.c...ncenzo-fornaro/

Farmers in Italy fight soil contamination with cannabis

TARANTO, Italy -- Farmers in a region of Italy once known for cheeses have turned to cultivating a type of cannabis -- not to smoke or sell -- but to decontaminate polluted soil.

The hemp they’re growing contains very little THC -- the compound that makes people high.

Vincenzo Fornaro showed CBS News an empty farm, once packed with more than 600 sheep.

“For generations, our family produced ricotta and meat,” Fornaro recalled.

It wasn’t until 2008 when Italy’s government discovered the toxic chemical dioxin in his sheep and slaughtered the entire herd.  The culprit was just a mile away.

Contaminants spewing from a massive steel plant -- Europe’s largest -- meant Fornaro could never have grazing animals again. To clean up his land he decided to try a rather unusual experiment.

Fornaro planted industrial hemp to try to leech contaminants from the soil.

170312-en-doane-hemp-farmer.jpg

Vincenzo Fornaro is using industrial hemp to help decontaminate the soil on his farm caused by a nearby factory.

CBS News

The science is called phytoremediation -- a process where contaminants are absorbed by the fast-growing roots of the cannabis plant which stores or, in some cases, transforms toxins into a harmless substance.

“You think this marijuana is the future of your farm?” Doane asks Fornaro.

“Yes, absolutely,” Fornaro said.

170312-en-doane-hemp-farmer04.jpg

This graphic shows how a hemp plant decontaminates the soil in a process called phytoremediation.

CBS News

Although Fornaro’s crop is past harvest and doesn’t look like much now, phytoremediation is proven to pull heavy metals from soil.

It was used following the nuclear disaster at Chernobyl to remove radioactive strontium and cesium.

Cannabis’ future

Claudio Natile sells some of the thousands products made from industrial hemp including hemp oil, beer and pasta.

“We want to eliminate the prejudice against cannabis,” Natile said.

He took CBS News to an apartment complex built from hemp composite materials. So passers-by don’t miss the point, the grass out front is cannabis.

170312-en-doane-hemp-farmer03.jpg

This apartment building -- with cannabis out front -- is built with hemp composite materials.

CBS News

“We must innovate,” Fornaro told CBS News, “and develop in a way that’s ecologically sound.”

It’s in the shadow of the steel factory in Italy that Fornaro is pegging his future to a very different type of plant.

© 2017 CBS Interactive Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Edited by Seeker2be, 13 March 2017 - 11:45 AM.

• -=Zeus=-, Arathu, Juthro and 2 others like this

#2 Hash_Man

Hash_Man

Cranky Old Weed Codger

• OG VIP
  • 2,118 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 March 2017 - 12:05 PM

Yea, man remove toxins remove the stigma

#3 Heirloom Spores

Heirloom Spores

I practice

• OG VIP
  • 3,130 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 March 2017 - 01:29 PM

I have heard of that plants can help in reclaiming polluted land.
Plants can change pollutant into insolvable materials, preventing there reuptake.
Fungus and worms can also do wonders.

The Earth can heal herself if we stop hurting her now.
  • Arathu and Lakegal7 like this

#4 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 3,390 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 March 2017 - 06:28 PM

I have heard of that plants can help in reclaiming polluted land.
Plants can change pollutant into insolvable materials, preventing there reuptake.
Fungus and worms can also do wonders.

The Earth can heal herself if we stop hurting her now.

My deepest understanding of things tells me..........that the Earth WILL heal with or without us..............a sobering realization.....

We are intended to be sacred caretakers of this place..............instead we kill each other for oil and gold...........

If we decided to actually become what we are...........no one would be out of work or hungry.........

These things are within our reach IF we move our values collectively...........IMHO

A

• Myc, Heirloom Spores, happy4nic8r and 1 other like this

#5 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 4,267 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 March 2017 - 07:15 PM

I think we give ourselves too much credit.  We can not harm the Earth.  Sure we can change it enough that we cant survive as a species any more, but the earth was here for millennia before us, and will be so for millennia after us as well.

But as far as actually harming the planet, I don't think so. I don't even think we are capable of destroying all life on the planet. Life has ways of adapting to meet the challenge, and I think we are a result of that at some stage of time, but that it will not last for ever. All things come and go in cycles, as will we.

So to put that to scale, doesn't that makes us (man kind in general) not much more than a bad parasitic infection?
  • Arathu, Heirloom Spores and happy4nic8r like this

#6 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 3,390 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 March 2017 - 07:21 PM

I think we give ourselves too much credit.  We can not harm the Earth.  Sure we can change it enough that we cant survive as a species any more, but the earth was here for millennia before us, and will be so for millennia after us as well.

But as far as actually harming the planet, I don't think so. I don't even think we are capable of destroying all life on the planet. Life has ways of adapting to meet the challenge, and I think we are a result of that at some stage of time, but that it will not last for ever. All things come and go in cycles, as will we.

So to put that to scale, doesn't that makes us (man kind in general) not much more than a bad parasitic infection?

Certainly a misbehaving infection IMHO............interestingly we have a willed choice between parasitic and symbiotic relationship.......... And I agree...it is arrogant to assume we have the power to do anything other than kill ourselves......

A

Edited by Arathu, 13 March 2017 - 07:22 PM.

• Juthro likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!