• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 scott_1971_h

scott_1971_h

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 378 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 04:35 AM

Have you thought of using nitrogen? Evacuate the chamber using a HVAC pump, which would also cause a few % drop in water, and then introduce nitrogen, or CO2, or something like that?

Then seal it in plastic, or such. Or if you're just putting them in jars, just put the lid on.

Does any1 store 'diced dried', for ease of handling etc.?

#22 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 533 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 06:21 AM

Look up long term grain storage, you'll find information about nitrogen packing. Personally I think it would be too much added work and expense.

#23 scott_1971_h

scott_1971_h

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 378 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 07:21 AM

Look up long term grain storage, you'll find information about nitrogen packing. Personally I think it would be too much added work and expense.

Then again there's always a way to ensure you have fresh mushrooms. Keep growing them.

But I can certainly see a use in being able to store some for lean times, friends visiting, some from overseas, etc etc.

I'm not sure I'd be confident chomping on a decades-old shroom, no matter how it's been stored.

I cant see much money in Mushroom Taxidermy. Maybe for your first-ever mushroom, but I thought the whole point was not to look at it, just shut up and eat it.

Edited by scott_1971_h, 28 April 2017 - 07:26 AM.

#24 shoomer

shoomer

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 140 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 01:58 AM

Have you thought of using nitrogen? Evacuate the chamber using a HVAC pump, which would also cause a few % drop in water, and then introduce nitrogen, or CO2, or something like that?
Then seal it in plastic, or such. Or if you're just putting them in jars, just put the lid on.
Does any1 store 'diced dried', for ease of handling etc.?

The idea has been to put boomers in jars w/ CO2 and then to vac the jars w// a vac pump (seal-a-meal bought for $5 at a thrift store) to store them in a very oxy-poor to oxy-free environment as oxidation is the leading cause of potency loss.

Then again there's always a way to ensure you have fresh mushrooms. Keep growing them.
But I can certainly see a use in being able to store some for lean times, friends visiting, some from overseas, etc etc.
I'm not sure I'd be confident chomping on a decades-old shroom, no matter how it's been stored.
I cant see much money in Mushroom Taxidermy. Maybe for your first-ever mushroom, but I thought the whole point was not to look at it, just shut up and eat it.

As the studies jkdeth point out, N is an excellent storage gas (non-reactive and moisture free) but a bit pricey in compressed form while CO2 is much more widely available due to the carbonated beverage industry. It can also easily be "home brewed" during fermentation of home brew/mash, vinegar and baking soda being pretty much available in any kitchen already, and CO2, a heavy gas, can displace air easily as well.

The reasons to store boomers are many and varied. Sometimes it is nice to have for immediate availability in a easily portable form w/ minimal loss after the initial storage has been opened.

My situation is that in my 1st myco-grow endeavor I tried all the teks (BRF, grain, straw log) to get experience and had a lot (2+ oz) in a short time (3-4 mo.) . I DID NOT get them to proper cracker dry before putting in a zip lock in the freezer, and since I don't sell and have few friends that I give them to, about the time the 1st 1/2 oz. was used 9 mo. later potency loss was undeniably present both in effect and bluing caused by water content and the heat/cool cycle of a "frost free" freezer breaking cellular walls and allowing oxidation to occur

I don't like waste of any type, so it behooves me to to learn and experiment w/ good storage technique to satisfy both that and the monetary expenditure/time necessary to bring forth the fruits of my labor.

My present situation is that in that 1st run (and the present one) I've only tried 3 types and the other 9 MS syringes I have are clumping so I would like to rescue them (via agar) and turn them all into prints for longevity so when I get VIP I'll be trading for edible strains (oyster, reishei, turkey tail, portabella, shitake, etc. which I WILL be interested in perpetual grows of!).

Since this hobby favors multiples of anything to ensure at least 1 "clean" outcome I have a feeling my endeavor might produce more than I can eat/give away since the latest "practice run" has already out produced my 1st try.

Edited by shoomer, 29 April 2017 - 02:15 AM.

• jkdeth likes this

#25 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 533 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 10:20 AM

I think cracker dry is the first and most important step. Cracker dry and sealed. Not sure if if vacuum packed, inert gas will make up for that. I used to store in the freezer, never had a problem, but I did make sure they were truly dry, also used a little vacuum. Zip makes a ghetto vacuum thing, bags with a one way valve and a little hand pump. Also make a point work quickly, removing a portion, revealing trying to avoid actual thawing and refreshing.
I think preferred method overall these days is dry, sealed cool and dark. Haven't really read much about long term bulk storage, but have read many anecdotal things, one person will talk about potency loss, the next will talk about no potency loss after years. One guy wrote of no potency loss after many years of storing ground product in a tea tin for many years. Even he said he would never do that on purpose. He was bad for misplacing things.
  • shoomer likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!