#1 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

Distinguished Mad Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,622 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 March 2017 - 04:27 PM

Well, my latest cake grow has stalled pretty badly, however I did get one cake with phenomenal growth with some Golden Teachers. Mainly I think my LC was old and had been exposed to some temperature extremes.

In any event I decided to test a few things:

1.) Vacuume drying your actives: turns out that while this does work, it is a long, energy intensive process:

IMG_20170310_213958891.jpg

I tested the setup with plain distilled water and had the vacuum down low enough to boil it at room temperature (68 degrees). But even though initially the mushies started drying out, the last 30% was taking so long I ended up using a standard food dryer to finish them. I even had dessicant which are the white Crystal you see at the bottom there. The mushies were in a paper towel cup so I could take them out and inspect the dryness.

So...... I decided to take the other large fruits (all over 4 inches fresh) and do my first popcorn Tek.

I decided on Turkey Ranch's lazy popcorn Tek which does not bother with all that "toweling off" of wet popcorn which sounds like a royal pain in my ass, and just stick a half inch of verm at the bottom.

After my popcorn reached that nice rubbery texture and a few hulls started to split, I threw them into the colander, rinsed with cold water to remove any excess starch, and dumped them into the jars.

2.) Popcorn jars ready for the PC... Cover is tyvek and the jar cap with a 3/4 inches hole.

IMG_20170310_213716399.jpg

I PC'd these at 10 lbs for 60 mins. After they cooled back to room temp, I took them into my glovebox and cut out the center's of the stipes of my mushies.

Right away I knew these were going to be kick-ass mushies as the blueing was off the charts. I later proved this as I will get to...

I cut three quarter inch sections of Stipe for each jar, dropped them in, did a careful swirl to bury them into the top layer of corn and put the jars in the dark of my closet. It never gets above 65 degrees in there but I wanted things to start slowly... I may put them in my 72 degree area in a bit.

And now three days later they are colonizing that corn!

It's a beautiful thing.

Oh.... Yes, after mutilating those stipes I had about 1.5 grams of shredded mushie stuff. So... About .15 grams dry. Very blue....

So I did what anyone would do. I ate them.

I shit you not I saw zingers and color auras and definitely felt those nice tingles. On .15 grams!?!? These are some kick ass.

They grew on cakes infused with teff flour, which I have already determined is hard for mushies to grow on in a previous experiment. Cakes with teff take forever to colonize because the food value of teff is so high. So what usually happens is the cake goes bad with contams, or in several cases just turns into a cement like blob of mycelium that never fruits! When it gets like that you can soak that cake for a year and it never takes on water! Very strange.

Oh... And here is a pic of that popcorn:

IMG_20170315_172548689.jpg

Edited by SteampunkScientist, 15 March 2017 - 04:48 PM.

• MLBjammer and Triptomemes like this

#2 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 4,857 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 March 2017 - 04:36 PM

Nice.........I'm going to have to get a relationship gong with grain spirits..................because it sure does make expanding spawn a much faster endeavor...................

Me and WBS methinks...........

• MLBjammer and SteampunkScientist like this

#3 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,622 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 March 2017 - 05:00 PM

Everything I've read here on grain grows looks very promising.

Btw I never "throw" cakes away. I always bury them where they might form new colonies of wild mushies... I figure a good relationship with the mycelium means passing them on to new generations of conciousness.

Edited by SteampunkScientist, 15 March 2017 - 05:02 PM.

• MLBjammer and Cuboid like this

#4 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,414 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 March 2017 - 07:18 PM

Nice.........I'm going to have to get a relationship gong with grain spirits..................because it sure does make expanding spawn a much faster endeavor...................

Try whole oats.  Really easy and work like a charm.  It is all I use.  1 cup of oats to1/2 cup of water in a quart jar.  PC 90 minutes at 15 PSI.  When the pressure drops, remove the jars and shake vigorously for 15-30 seconds to distribute moisture.  You are done, lol.  Inoculate and rock on.

• Arathu, SteampunkScientist and fuzzyfunguy like this

#5 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,414 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 March 2017 - 07:18 PM

Really nice popcorn jars, SS.

• SteampunkScientist likes this

#6 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 4,857 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 March 2017 - 07:32 PM

Try whole oats.  Really easy and work like a charm.  It is all I use.  1 cup of oats to1/2 cup of water in a quart jar.  PC 90 minutes at 15 PSI.  When the pressure drops, remove the jars and shake vigorously for 15-30 seconds to distribute moisture.  You are done, lol.  Inoculate and rock on.

I think I'll take a ride in the AM and get some.................. what the hell..........

I did some pretty good WBS expansions but.......change is good too...maybe I'll get both..

A

Edited by Arathu, 15 March 2017 - 07:36 PM.

• MLBjammer and SteampunkScientist like this

#7 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,414 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 March 2017 - 03:42 AM

You can get whole oats at any farm/feed store (I buy mine at Tractor Supply).  Everything of mine you have seen was done with whole oats.

SS, what's the plan for the popcorn jars?

#8 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,622 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 March 2017 - 04:20 PM

Well, if they colonize well, I hope to spawn some mini or medium size tubs.

But I like your oats because that eliminates steps.... I like that!

#9 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,622 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 April 2017 - 07:18 PM

Welp....

2 of my popcorn jars Triched. But the other three grew all nice and fluffy white with that wonderful mushrooms smell!

So three jars three tubs! I used the simple "Turkey Ranch" mono tub formula:

50% coconut coir. 50% verm. 3 tablespoons of gypsum (one per tub). About three quarts of sub per tub.

Sterilization was 170 degrees for about three hours in a doubled garbage bag after getting the moisture to field capacity.

Black plastic liner on bottom to stop side pins. Four 1.5 inch holes just above substrate level filled with HEPA filter paper.

Layered about 2 inches of sub, sprinkled the popcorn, another 2 inches of sub. That's it!

No casing. Spritz with h2o2 every couple days.

Two weeks and now I have pins, so opened the holes for FAE.

It was two weeks for colonization‚Äčof the popcorn, and two weeks for the tubs. Should have crops in a few days or so!

The witch gaurds against contams. ;-)

And the big jars are filled with fresh booch, which will go well with the sacraments!

IMG_20170417_200601775.jpg IMG_20170417_200610572.jpg

Edited by SteampunkScientist, 17 April 2017 - 07:20 PM.

• Arathu likes this

#10 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 4,857 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 April 2017 - 07:24 AM

That's the basic formula I followed but my bulk sub was just straight leeched HPOO with sterilized verm for moisture adjustment............

Mono tubs like that work well and pins are always a blessing.......

The stuff that Eats and others showed always blew my mind........

Make sure you keep the witch happy............. :biggrin:

Good vibes man!

A

#11 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,622 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 April 2017 - 09:59 PM

Well I have a few scattered pins growing in all the tubs, but unfortunately I realized I forgot a step. I never re-hydrated the corn before I scattered them in the substrate.

I'm hoping misting will fix this using a dilute h2o2 of about 1%.

#12 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,622 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 April 2017 - 06:13 PM

Well, boys and girls, this is what happens when you forget to rehydrate your popcorn, you get this patchy growth pattern... Apparently.
IMG_20170420_190815450.jpg IMG_20170420_190726832.jpg

I'm not sure if you should rehydrate when your using oats, I suspect not, (perhaps someone can chime in) but popcorn definitely needs it.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!