• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 grio

grio

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 07:50 PM

Well since I cannot make a post in the gourmet section I was wondering if anyone here has had any luck of 100% ash pasteurization or must it be supplemented with lime? Hydrated lime is hell of expensive here. 

#2 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

(~);}

• App Administrator
  • 3,463 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 March 2017 - 09:00 PM

Welcome grio! I don't see why your ash idea wouldn't work as long as you could balance the ph before using. You can use straight ash in substitution of lye or lime to tan hides. Don't see why it couldn't be perfected to work for cold pasteurization.

Edited by coorsmikey, 16 March 2017 - 09:02 PM.

• riseabovethought and grio like this

#3 grio

grio

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 10:31 PM

I am trying to source some treated free wood that has been cut to legal size to burn here.

I am thinking about using it as a booster after the fermentation too to extend the life of the yeast fermented straw.

I am also going to run some with just ash, with soap, prue lye is 7.99 for 1 LB here. I was thinking Ash and oxyclean unless you have a better recommendation. 

Also thank you for the warm welcome. 

#4 grio

grio

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 11:07 PM

Forgot to add hydrated Lime costs me around 1-2 USD per LB and not that great for cost when pasteurizing a lot of straw. 

#5 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

(~);}

• App Administrator
  • 3,463 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 March 2017 - 11:08 PM

Well sounds like you're going in balls deep on a project! Please do start a thread with what you are doing! I have done a lot of reading but not a lot practicing with the tek you're describing. Don't have much to offer on recommendations other than theories. I also haven't seen the idea talked about much here so it should make some good conversation.

Edited by coorsmikey, 16 March 2017 - 11:10 PM.

• grio and wharfrat like this

#6 grio

grio

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 11:38 PM

I am currently running some heat pasteurization and would like some more cost effective. 

Lime here running 1-2 USD per LB is dumb expensive. 

I am looking into the yeast fermentation to try to avoid the horrid smell of the typical fermentation process. Yeast fermentation is not good enough alone, it will have a roughly 90-95% pass successes rate. So a secondary pasteurization is recommended from what I have gathered.  A pH stabilization seems like the best option. The straw will be about a pH of about 5.5-6 after the fermentation. The yeast will break down some of the straw making things easy for the oyster myc to consume. Yeast will self terminate with the alcohol generation this is also toxic to the mushroom myc so would need to be aired out a little. from what I can understand.

Ash has a pH of 9-12 depending on location, tree etc. I am also thinking of a double pasteurization on this too to be on the safe side of the soap and ash. Again thinking of Ash + oxyclean. Where the yeast would be Yeast+Ash, ash added after the yeast has self terminated. 

#7 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 5,273 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 March 2017 - 01:02 AM

excellent topic, I too am curious. Going to put this into the edibles forum.. you are a free member now so you will be able to post in the others. :biggrin:

#8 Ferather

Ferather

Reverse Engineer

• Free Member
  • 843 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 10:42 AM

Ash can make an aqueous solution of pH 12.61, which is perfect for straw baths and other uses.

• riseabovethought likes this

#9 Ferather

Ferather

Reverse Engineer

• Free Member
  • 843 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 10:46 AM

I use CaCO3 (calcium carbonate), CaCO3 + Heat + H2O → Ca(HCO3)2  -- (Calcium bicarbonate).

#10 Ferather

Ferather

Reverse Engineer

• Free Member
  • 843 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 12:47 PM

Here is some data on the composition and pH of wood ash in general.

#11 grio

grio

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 22 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 02:20 PM

Thank you for the move and read on ash.

I am wondering if there are other cheap alternatives to lime and ash.

Ash you got you are limited by the government when you can burn.

Hydrated lime is too expensive in my area

#12 Ferather

Ferather

Reverse Engineer

• Free Member
  • 843 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 03:25 PM

AFAIK there is no such thing as calcium overdose with mycelium, its the pH that limits activity on 100% lime.

So in fairness anything that is calcium based and increases the pH of your water to desired levels.

Other base's such as magnesium and sodium can become too rich, and toxic.

#13 grio

grio

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 22 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 05:25 PM

https://mydbsupply.c...ster-shell-50lb

This could work but would it be more useful than gypsum

#14 grio

grio

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 22 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 05:27 PM

Well it is a buffer like gypsum I thought but not enough to change the ph

#15 Ferather

Ferather

Reverse Engineer

• Free Member
  • 843 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 06:46 PM

Yes that's an example source of calcium carbonate, heat treat it in water to get your bicarbonate.

#16 grio

grio

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 22 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 11:45 PM

Calcium carbonate is slow acting not sure if it would be enough to help. Bi carbonate haven't heard much about that. Doesn't it need 1000F

Edited by grio, 17 March 2017 - 11:48 PM.

#17 Ferather

Ferather

Reverse Engineer

• Free Member
  • 843 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 07:28 AM

You get quite a bit from tap water, however the solids will react with acid to produce CO2, so you drop pH and make more calcium bicarbonate.

Still heat treat it to get more reacting, then give it a good shake and use it, you will need to stir every few hours.

Here is a guide I found using CaCO3 straw bathing, I would tinker around with pH strips.

The straw should be in the 7.5 - 8.5 pH range as an end result --GGMM.

#18 grio

grio

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 11:33 AM

Interesting reading,

So this is not an oyster shell flour, just crushed. I am assuming pebble size. Meant for chickens..

I plan on adding it to the end of the fermentation process and mix it in my kiddie pool adding more there before the mix.

#19 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,733 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 March 2017 - 11:58 AM

check construction supply stores that specialize in drywall/plaster supply for your lime.

if I'm thinking about the right lime they sell it in 50 bags and I'm sure the cost will be down from any retail kind of 1 pound purchases.

If you're going commercial edibles you'll be going through a lot of this stuff right?

#20 grio

grio

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 12:12 PM

Yeah I will be, but I thought magnsuim in the construction lime was a no go

check construction supply stores that specialize in drywall/plaster supply for your lime.

if I'm thinking about the right lime they sell it in 50 bags and I'm sure the cost will be down from any retail kind of 1 pound purchases.

If you're going commercial edibles you'll be going through a lot of this stuff right?

• Ferather likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!