and i'm tired of reading yer crap.
:reb:

#22 apokalypse

apokalypse

Dr. Durgs

• Expired Member
  • 1,454 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 12:55 AM

I definitely say coir. Maybe thats why only the hydroponics store had it when I called around town...lol

#23 srgtm1a

srgtm1a

yeah, yeah, you know.

• Expired Member
  • 760 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 10:08 AM

Could be the case, a lot of people don't know what coir is.

I'm totally ignorant as far as MJ growing goes, But I have heard from a few people that it is not good to use coir from hydro shops for mushrooms. They told me that they add certain types of mold to the coir, to help plant growth, that may contam mushroom grows.

I don't know how true that is (don't have any of those shops around here), just something a couple of people have told me.

#24 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 10:20 AM

You know, I think the coir I get in brick form is loaded with trich. I had the worse problems with it as a substrate until I started pasteurizing it. Hmmmm.

#25 Cheebabear

Cheebabear

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 263 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 10:57 PM

Could be the case, a lot of people don't know what coir is.

I'm totally ignorant as far as MJ growing goes, But I have heard from a few people that it is not good to use coir from hydro shops for mushrooms. They told me that they add certain types of mold to the coir, to help plant growth, that may contam mushroom grows.

I don't know how true that is (don't have any of those shops around here), just something a couple of people have told me.

Very interesting.. I used some coir I had purchased from a hydro shop and got contams every damn time! Even after autoclaving for over an hour. It was my first time growing mushrooms and I never had any contams until then. I was pretty proud of myself until that. Shortly after that, I started getting contams on many cakes (within the same grow chambers). That's why I stopped growing shrooms (don't worry, not permanently! That and I've got enough dried shrooms to last me a very very long time. My focus now is growing some fine cannabis. :eusa_shhh

#26 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 11:00 PM

I used some coir I had purchased from a hydro shop and got contams every damn time!

get your coir at the pet store
sold as critter bedding
the garden variety at hydro stores
has deliberately been infected with
trich, a green mold that is the bane
of mushroom cultivation.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!