• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 BigTexas

BigTexas

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 52 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 09:39 PM

I was told they would eat the tins, but I was only going to use them once, I just spawned to them about 48 hours ago and there's holes everywhere. wtf do I do now?I thought I had some time. lol 

#2 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,379 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 March 2017 - 03:16 AM

I would just let them go at this point.  But now you know why we also dissuade people from using aluminum pans with myc.

• coorsmikey and BigTexas like this

#3 BigTexas

BigTexas

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 52 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 08:19 AM

I guess if I want to venture down this road again, ill just cut out bottoms of small totes or something similar. Unless I can find plastic that will survive the heat to line the tins with. 

#4 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 4,369 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 March 2017 - 08:23 AM

And then my mind wonders to where is the aluminum going and what is actually going on?

Regardless of the specific chemical reaction(s) involved, material is obviously being moved.....

It is also one of the things I keep in mind and attention as I forage. The Ohio River Valley is not exactly pristine wilderness.........

who knows what the military industrial complex has dumped...........and the mushrooms metabolized

Electrolysis jumps out at me as a possibility for sure...............

A

Edited by Arathu, 17 March 2017 - 08:25 AM.

• Myc likes this

#5 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 5,155 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 March 2017 - 08:59 AM

I wonder the same things. The metal does not just "go away" ........

What is the metal converted into - energy? - simpler/less complex states of matter? - 

I think of the humble potato being used as a battery and wonder about fungal mycelium batteries of a similar nature. 

• Arathu and Microbe like this

#6 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 4,369 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 March 2017 - 09:25 AM

Exactly Myc.............just "go away" is not an option.............  :biggrin:

It brings me back to the absolutely bewildering electrodynamics of the natural world and how little we actually know........

I always joke around and tell folks to be nice to the fungi, they figure out how to eat "things" for a living (make sure it isn't YOU)..........

Fungal batteries................whoa! :meditate: 

Wonder if we can find one to de-sulfinate lead plates in batteries............ 

Edited by Arathu, 17 March 2017 - 09:29 AM.

• Myc and Microbe like this

#7 GORF

GORF

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 62 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 09:30 AM

Iron or aluminum or nitrogen. Doesn't matter which element.

The elements form chemical compounds. They do not go away or turn into energy. Iron stays iron etc. Etc. Etc.

Most likely they have been oxidized and moved from the location by water or physical handling. A small amount might end up in organic compounds

Aluminum reacts strongly with oxygen to form hard crystals of aluminum oxide. Commonly found on "sand paper". Moisture and a slightly acidic environment is all it takes.
  • Microbe likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!