• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ChimX

ChimX

Spiritual Forager

• Free Member
  • 193 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 11:24 PM

I thought it would fun to experiment a little with the second flush of these MS/PE cakes. I'm running out of room, so I'm making a 3rd SGFC tomorrow. I've got more trays and cakes than space...Solution? Have fun with the multi-spore stuff and leave serious 'til the dominant sub-strains fruit.

I don't know if anyone's done anything similar so, if you know of a thread or tek implementing these procedures, please post a link. I'd love to see how it went!

My hope was to provide as much surface area as possible for fruiting on the cakes, while maximizing space in the SGFC.

PF Cake Kabobs:
20170316_212257.jpg
20170316_212405.jpg
20170316_212313.jpg

Materials:

1) SGFC with 1/4" holes, spaced 2" apart, covering the top, bottom and all 4 sides. 4 finger depth of perlite with 2 handfuls of salt mixed in. SGFC kept elevated 2 inches off any flat surface, via paperweights etc.

2) 2x Plastic covered wire coat hangers bent back into straight rods.

3) 2x Wine corks cut in half.

4) 6x Pre-dunked PF Cakes.

*This is the second flush of the cakes in the 'No Roll MS/PE' thread*

After harvest, the 6x MS/PE cakes were dunked for 16 hours. The SGFC was heavily sprayed with bleach and left to sit for 45 minutes. In the meantime, the wire coat hangers were bent back into straight rods which, when extended length wise across the SGFC, left an inch of wire protruding on both sides. The wires were put to soak in 70% Isopropyl Alcohol.

Next, two corks were cut in half, small lengthwise holes drilled in each, then placed in jars and set upside down in a bucket of bleach. The cakes were removed from their dunk and another bucket was prepped with a 1/200 bleach/water solution. The cakes were then flash dunked for 15 minutes.

The SGFC was rinsed thoroughly until the bleach smell was gone. Salt was added to the Perlite, and another cup of water to distribute the salt.

The cakes were removed from their bleach dunk, rinsed under tap water and set on paper towels. The wire rods were wiped with an alcohol rag and one was slowly inserted, from top down, into the first cake. The substrate, being moist, left no crumbling or breakage when impaled.

The cake was pushed up the rod slowly, and the process repeated for the second and third cakes. The rod was then inserted through a midsection hole in the SGFC. The cakes were pushed together in the middle, so that both rod ends could be installed.

3 more cakes were skewered with the second rod and placed in the SGFC in the same fashion. At this point the cork halves were removed from the bleach and given a quick rinse. All four cork stoppers were plugged onto the rod ends protruding from the sides of the SGFC.

Finally, the cakes were adjusted along the rods and exposed rod sections, between cakes, were cleansed of residue.

Though optimistic, I have absolutely no idea how this is going to turn out. The upside is that the cakes can be turned like a barbecue spit and then locked into position by pressing the corks against the SGFC walls. It facilitates cake inspection and possibly harvesting. The cakes, being snug, don't spin on the rods and, after drying and shrinking, I assume will solidify in place.

My concerns are that they may dry out more quickly, being further away from the perlite, and there's also a possibility of introducing contams into the core of the cake upon insertion of the rods. I would assume that recovery time for the cakes should be 24-48 hours, as the rods inserted are relatively small in diameter and introduced very gently.

I'd love to hear some feedback on this, even if you're convinced that the outcome might be less than optimal. Any suggestions on alterations and/or additions would be extremely welcome!

As you can see from the pics, there's no turning back now. So, regardless of outcome, I'll post results of failure, mediocrity, or (fingers crossed), fruits on sticks.

Metta
-ChimX

(P.S. Worst case scenario, it's off to Sunset Myco-Hills Southside Arathu!)

Edited by ChimX, 17 March 2017 - 01:50 AM.

• Sidestreet, fahtster, MLBjammer and 2 others like this

#2 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,379 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 March 2017 - 03:29 AM

I have never seen that before.  Makes me want a kabob, lol.

Interesting experiment.  I bet it turns out nice.

• ChimX likes this

#3 ParallelWorld

ParallelWorld

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:01 PM

I liked the idea ( eu gostei da ideia)

Enviado de meu SM-J510MN usando Tapatalk
  • ChimX likes this

#4 fahtster

fahtster

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,657 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 March 2017 - 01:26 AM

It's definitely been talked about before... long, long time ago. I can't remember if it was something someone actually made a thread about or not.. probably be on the old site though... I'll take a look.. gonna bug me now. Lol

Faht
  • ChimX likes this

#5 fahtster

fahtster

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,657 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 March 2017 - 01:38 AM

Here's one.. doesn't look like anyone followed up. https://mycotopia.ne...wer#entry380828

Another one along the same lines of increasing the fruiting surface. https://mycotopia.ne...tubs/?hl=skewer

Nice to see ya givin' 'er a whirl :thumbs_up: love the corked ends too.. simple always seems to win. Nice one!

Faht

Edited by fahtster, 21 March 2017 - 02:15 AM.

• ChimX likes this

#6 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 4,389 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:50 AM

Though optimistic, I have absolutely no idea how this is going to turn out.

The upside is that the cakes can be turned like a barbecue spit and then locked into position by pressing the corks against the SGFC walls. It facilitates cake inspection and possibly harvesting. The cakes, being snug, don't spin on the rods and, after drying and shrinking, I assume will solidify in place.

Of course not...that's what experiments are all about..........if we knew..........well, we'd already know................... :biggrin:

Might also prove helpful with dunks in between flushes too...........

With the right genetics, keep the RH very high and I suspect they will provide a WOW..................... :thumbs_up: 

Great job and experiment.........good 360 degree pinning vibes man...........

A

• fahtster, ChimX and ParallelWorld like this

#7 dead_diver

dead_diver

Stoned Since '76

• Free Member
  • 3,447 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 March 2017 - 05:11 PM

I'm betting most of the pins will be on the upper surface of the cakes.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!