• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 phlegmbae

phlegmbae

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 120 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 12:38 PM

I've been wondering if I do an LC of Pans if I should shake it? I found out the hard way that you shouldn't shake them in grain jars. I just don't want to make the same mistake again. Would horse poo broth leftover from pasteurizing work good alone, or should there be a tablespoon of karo added? Could I just soak horse poo for a few days, strain it out, and use that for Pan LC?

#2 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• OG VIP
  • 1,568 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 March 2017 - 07:31 PM

Pans should be treated exactly the same way you would any species of mushrooms. Shaking/distribution of grain is not an issue and is highly recommend for all species to aid in distribution of mycelium, allowing the spawn to colonize faster.

Why would you think you messed up by shaking grain spawn? What happened in your instance? The shake does not cause contamination, it exposes it if already present and unseen. That's why myself, and a lot of growers advise shaking up one last time before spawning, just to make sure.

As far as straight manure water as an LC, I couldn't answer that question. I have never tried it. But you could always experiment with it. I always use poo water in my agar for pans, so it just might work.

Edited by peacefrog, 19 March 2017 - 07:37 PM.

• phlegmbae, coorsmikey, Cue and 2 others like this

#3 phlegmbae

phlegmbae

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 120 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 12:47 PM

Thanks for your reply peacefrog. I highly value your opinion. I guess I failed to mention that when I shook my pans on rye berries, it never came back. Well at least not for a very long time, like a month. By that time I figured there was nothing in there anymore. It could have been a little dry from over processing, was my guess. So I was concerned that shaking a pan LC may do the same thing. I also failed to mention that to the horse poo water I will be adding Karo/honey to the broth.

• peacefrog likes this

#4 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• OG VIP
  • 1,568 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 March 2017 - 06:43 PM

Gotcha, yea if after you shook up the grain jar and it didn't recover, you had contamination for sure. Wise to toss. Pans are very fast to colonize and if they haven't completely recovered in 24-48 hours after shaking, you know contams are present.

And I bet that any sugar like honey and/or karo in combination with poo water would work fine. As I stated, I always use manure juice in my agar jars with pans. Give it a shot, I would be quite interested in your results.
  • phlegmbae, Microbe and mjroom like this

#5 Shiviah

Shiviah

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 10:39 AM

Just felt like adding a note here, but i do believe there are a couple species you do not want to shake grains for. I've heard that the Gymnopilus species do not recover well from shaking and if you're going for sclerotia on mexicana species shaking can often disrupt any formation of stones. In the latter species, p. mexicana, i've read it's best to innoculate with LC to prevent having to shake. 

• Heirloom likes this

#6 phlegmbae

phlegmbae

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 120 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 12:59 PM

I'm going to try a pint multispore LC of Suphanburi with karo, using a magnetic stirrer. I'll add 1cc of multispore solution to the 2/3rd full half pint. Now when I do this, I don't want to have the MS running from the time it's inoculated, do I? I'm thinking after it colonizes for a bit. Before it gets too thick, put it on the stirring plate. What would be the best time, and duration to begin running the MS to get the quickest colonization rate?

• Heirloom likes this

#7 phlegmbae

phlegmbae

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 120 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 05:29 PM

Is a silicone ring needed on a plastic wide mouth mason jar lid? I do intend to keep the cultures for a few months before starting new.  What type/size stirring rod works best for LCs?

#8 orangutan

orangutan

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 255 posts

Donator

Posted 21 June 2017 - 10:03 PM

I never use the silicone rings on my plastic mason jar lids.  I don't think it's necessary if you screw the lids on tight.  I use the stir bars that almost look like pills, they are around 3/4 of an inch long.

Check with PeaceFrog if panaeolus will keep for a few months in a liquid culture.  I remember reading one of his posts that panaeolus doesn't even like to be stored more than 3 months on agar.

• phlegmbae likes this

#9 phlegmbae

phlegmbae

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 120 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 10:41 AM

Thanks for the reply Orangutan. I've never seen anyone using the silicone rings, but I can imagine they'd be another way to keep the bugs out of your jars. I've seen them on auction sites with the $4.50 plastic lids for liquid culture. Which is outrageous!

• orangutan likes this

#10 Cue

Cue

Chat Head

• OG VIP
  • 8,149 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 June 2017 - 03:10 PM

Trust me go with the silicone rings. They are worth the extra money.

The plastic lids leak with out them. Which also means that while the jars are cooling the can/will drawl in contams.

And if you screw the lids down tight they can be SOBs to get back open after being PCed.

• phlegmbae and Microbe like this

#11 phlegmbae

phlegmbae

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 120 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 12:40 PM

Thank you Cue! For sparing me the agony of defeat! I have had my head in the books on all of this, and now I'm gearing up to get this going. I know it's taking me a long time to complete this, and I want to get it right the first time. Anyone else know how Pans do in liquid culture?

#12 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• OG VIP
  • 1,568 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 July 2017 - 05:06 PM

Good advice above.

Pans do just as well via LC as cubes, oysters or any other higher fungi I have ever grown. As long as the culture is clean, you will see recovery 24-48 hours after inoculation.

Edited by peacefrog, 01 July 2017 - 05:08 PM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!