196 replies to this topic

#181 Opendoors

Opendoors

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 147 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 02:54 PM

I know this thread has been ran through, but I have a couple questions:

I've done this extraction a few times and usually it turns out awesome, but sometimes it dont , like this last one , though I've done everything exactly the same,as far as I know...
400 ml of 190 on 40 grams of gt, let it soak 3 days then filtered , ended up with 250 ml extraction, put that in freezer , a couple weeks later I drank 50ml ..... which I'm guessing should be between 5 and 8 grams ... but I felt nothing from it.... I know the fruit was good so I dont understand what happened , did I not soak long enough? I took the remainder of the leftover mush and put more 190 on it i put it in a dark spot and it's been sitting at room temp for about 3 weeks now , will i be able to pull anything out of that?

Also if i want to vamp down the filtered extract, do I just sit the jar in front of a fan a couple days ? Dump liquid in pyrex and put it in oven or on stovetop or microwave? No open flame of course ....will the open air and rapid heating invite oxygen into everclear or breakdown the psilicybin?
Thanks

Attached Thumbnails

• tmp-cam-7555236059839113293.jpg
  • tmp-cam-8834727078982217548.jpg

#182 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,548 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 October 2019 - 11:36 AM

A few posts back, Soliver said this, quote- "Posted 04 August 2019 - 11:58 PM

In my experience, the granules left in the bottom of the jar are inactive. 

Some hypothesize that it's wax, or sugars ... beats me, but I tried eating and even smoking it

(live on chat back in the dizzz-aaay!)  and it didn't do shit.

In the meantime, I have some GT extract that is impotent, while the Treasure Coast is the freakin' bomb.

Same parameters.  Still trying to wrap my head around that one - 100g of GT seemingly bunk, and I KNOW they were good fresh. 

Go figure.  Wish I had a no-job so I could focus on this one thing only   :)

Love you guys,

:)

soliver" -end quote

So he had the same issue, inactive everclear extract, and was just as clueless as to why haha. Well that tells us that it doesn't always work. I have done it a few times now and lways had it work.

Edited by Billcoz, 19 October 2019 - 11:37 AM.

• Opendoors likes this

#183 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

Distinguished Mad Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 4,027 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 October 2019 - 05:57 PM

I've mentioned this in a few posts on this thread, psilocybin, and psilocin are most soluble in water, and are highly reactive with oxygen.

The closer you get to pure alcohol, the longer it will take for the actives to leach out of the material, and the lower amount of water will hold less actives before it is saturated.

The actives are very IN-soluble in alcohol. Check the various chemical indexes, or Wikipedia to verify this for yourself.

So by having 10-20% water in your alcohol, your results will be much better. Better yet if you can get the disolved oxygen out of the water as well. With teas, 5 minutes of boiling removes the oxygen, but this won't work for alcohols, instead you need to use a vacuum.

Bottom line: For quick results, make a tea to get most active from dried mushroom, then mix your favorite alcohol to taste.

For an alcohol, leave in enough h2o and try to remove oxygen using a vacuum before adding powdered dry mushroom product. Let steep preferably in a dark freezer for a few months.
  • Lakegal7, Billcoz and Opendoors like this

#184 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,272 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 October 2019 - 03:22 PM

Steampunk has an excellent point .... HOWEVER ....

I believe (I know - I have nothing backing this up) that high test ethanol extracts the goods we want, while leaving behind most of the water-soluble stuff we (read:I) don't want, namely the parts that give me stomach cramps and the blistering shits.  No bueno when you're in the great outdoors . . .

GTs are a great starter mushroom, but I don't believe they have much in the way of shelf life.  I'm guessing (guessing here) that much of their actives come from psilocin.

The TCs, I'm guessing (guessing here) are more psilocibin heavy.  Or something.  The bottom line?  Find a strain that you know works, clone, clone, clone.

I still have about a quart of -meh- GT extract that's good for a slight mental twist on a Sunday afternoon and not much else.

Opendoors - putting your extract in a big bowl under a fan will reduce the extract - don't leave it overnight or you may come back to shroom sludge (?) - I tried heating a batch .... oooh .... 20 years ago - the ethanol was warm, then it hit full fucking boil in a millisecond, boiled over, and I evaded a flash-shroom-fire by sheer luck and the fact that my rented house didn't have a gas stove ... if you insist on putting heat on it, try a hot plate on super-low and keep a fan as well as an eye on it the whole time, brother!   I lost ... damn ... 2 quarts of what shoulda been primo go-juice  (snif).

soliver

• SteampunkScientist, Lakegal7, Billcoz and 1 other like this

#185 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,970 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 October 2019 - 03:26 PM

Bottom line: For quick results, make a tea to get most active from dried mushroom, then mix your favorite alcohol to taste.

For an alcohol, leave in enough h2o and try to remove oxygen using a vacuum before adding powdered dry mushroom product. Let steep preferably in a dark freezer for a few months.

limoncello just came to mind

#186 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,548 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 October 2019 - 11:52 PM

Yeah it's weird, but many people who do everclear extracts get results. I have gotten better than expected results from it, but who knows how much of the actives were stripped away by the alcohol, or water.

• Opendoors likes this

#187 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,708 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 October 2019 - 02:10 AM

I wonder have you ever done these with woodlovers? Azures and Cyans are in season right now here, and I am going to make another pilgrimage to the coast soon in hopes for a good stash. I bet some azures would rock your world with this method. 

• coorsmikey, SteampunkScientist, Lakegal7 and 1 other like this

#188 Opendoors

Opendoors

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 147 posts

Posted 23 October 2019 - 11:07 PM

Steampunk has an excellent point .... HOWEVER ....

I believe (I know - I have nothing backing this up) that high test ethanol extracts the goods we want, while leaving behind most of the water-soluble stuff we (read:I) don't want, namely the parts that give me stomach cramps and the blistering shits. No bueno when you're in the great outdoors . . .

GTs are a great starter mushroom, but I don't believe they have much in the way of shelf life. I'm guessing (guessing here) that much of their actives come from psilocin.

The TCs, I'm guessing (guessing here) are more psilocibin heavy. Or something. The bottom line? Find a strain that you know works, clone, clone, clone.

I still have about a quart of -meh- GT extract that's good for a slight mental twist on a Sunday afternoon and not much else.

Opendoors - putting your extract in a big bowl under a fan will reduce the extract - don't leave it overnight or you may come back to shroom sludge (?) - I tried heating a batch .... oooh .... 20 years ago - the ethanol was warm, then it hit full fucking boil in a millisecond, boiled over, and I evaded a flash-shroom-fire by sheer luck and the fact that my rented house didn't have a gas stove ... if you insist on putting heat on it, try a hot plate on super-low and keep a fan as well as an eye on it the whole time, brother! I lost ... damn ... 2 quarts of what shoulda been primo go-juice (snif).

soliver

Ok under the fan it is ...

yes GT is what I used this time too, it looked like it was going to be as potent as ever , but I only soaked 3 days.. I resoaked the left over mush and it's been sitting probably a month now so maybe all good shit is in the resoak ?( I know it doesnt seem likely) I left it out in room temp( in complete darkness) too just to see what will happen...it sucks if I wasted 40gs , but it's all in the name of experimentation I guess

Edited by Opendoors, 23 October 2019 - 11:11 PM.

#189 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 6,608 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 October 2019 - 12:50 AM

I've done this extraction a few times and usually it turns out awesome, but sometimes it dont , like this last one , though I've done everything exactly the same,as far as I know...
400 ml of 190 on 40 grams of gt, let it soak 3 days then filtered , ended up with 250 ml extraction, put that in freezer , a couple weeks later I drank 50ml ..... which I'm guessing should be between 5 and 8 grams ... but I felt nothing from it.... I know the fruit was good so I dont understand what happened , did I not soak long enough? I took the remainder of the leftover mush and put more 190 on it i put it in a dark spot and it's been sitting at room temp for about 3 weeks now , will i be able to pull anything out of that?

Also if i want to vamp down the filtered extract, do I just sit the jar in front of a fan a couple days ? Dump liquid in pyrex and put it in oven or on stovetop or microwave? No open flame of course ....will the open air and rapid heating invite oxygen into everclear or breakdown the psilicybin?
Thanks

Did you squeeze or press the alkyhol out of the mush muck? You seemed to have left behind 150 mils. If you out 40 gr in 400 mils then an average swig should put some into orbit. Even with GT's it should be pretty strong. Make sure to squeeze the alkyhol out and soak it again with the same alkyhol, squeeze and filter again. Think of a dirty sponge right? Would you just soak it in water and expect it to be clean again? No you would soak, squeeze, soak, rinse, repeat, etc until you felt it was clean. The mush will hold the alkaloids the same as a sponge. Make sense?

Edited by coorsmikey, 24 October 2019 - 12:51 AM.

• Lakegal7, Billcoz and Opendoors like this

#190 Opendoors

Opendoors

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 147 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 11:33 AM

Thanks

Did you squeeze or press the alkyhol out of the mush muck? You seemed to have left behind 150 mils. If you out 40 gr in 400 mils then an average swig should put some into orbit. Even with GT's it should be pretty strong. Make sure to squeeze the alkyhol out and soak it again with the same alkyhol, squeeze and filter again. Think of a dirty sponge right? Would you just soak it in water and expect it to be clean again? No you would soak, squeeze, soak, rinse, repeat, etc until you felt it was clean. The mush will hold the alkaloids the same as a sponge. Make sense?

That makes perfect sense , and that's possible I only got 250 ml out of 400 because I was planning on doing the resoak , so maybe all the good stuff is in the resoak, I just looked at it and it's been soaking since oct 3rd it looks thick I'll filter it today and try it in a couple days

#191 Ghostshroom

Ghostshroom

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 137 posts

Posted 29 October 2019 - 06:03 PM

How do I store a hydrated coco coir, Verm, perlite, and gypsum substrate blend for a few months? Any ideas? Thanks.

#192 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 6,608 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 October 2019 - 06:45 PM

How do I store a hydrated coco coir, Verm, perlite, and gypsum substrate blend for a few months? Any ideas? Thanks.

In a Homer Bucket in the garage is where I keep it! If you only have a qt or so the fridge will work. of course you may need to pasteurize it again. What does where you keep that stuff have to do with extracts?

#193 Opendoors

Opendoors

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 147 posts

Posted 30 October 2019 - 10:25 PM

I can attest to the longevity of a tincture; the last one I made lasted over 7 years before it was all consumed with no apparent loss in potency over that time.

I made it with Everclear, and soaked the dry fungi in it for a couple of months, shaking the jars once or twice a day (I used half-gallon mason jars). I also added a heaping teaspoon of citric acid crystals for each quart of Everclear (I extracted over a pound of dried stem butts, which took a lot of alcohol). Tasted like hell, but it wasn't made for sippin'.

Taking a dose without consuming much alcohol was a matter of pouring the dose into a cup and adding a tea bag and boiling water. The boiling water evaporates most of the alcohol off almost instantly leaving you with a really terrible tasting cup of tea.

Man I feel like I ask alot of questions where the the answers should be obvious,but though I've been growing for a couple years and consuming for probably 20, I've just recently started doing the honey tek and the alcohol extraction I'm not used to throwing 4 or 5 oz all in one basket especially one I've never tried before , I wasted 6oz (wet) once , and I somehow screwed up 40 dry grams the other day , so I apologize if I ask common sense questions but i just want to be clear: you pour boiling water on the extract and then drink it?
I understand that it instantly evaps the everclear but the sudden rush of water and oxygen doesn't evaporate alot of the psilicybin too? Or at the least take a blow to the potency?
I like to drink beer when doing mushrooms, I prefer to get a good beer buzz just before i trip, it makes my trip fluid , the transition just seems more natural, I've been shooting 10 ml of extract into my beer for 4 or 5 beers but it makes my beer take like shit, not to mention I usually forget how many shots I've taken and end up overdoing it, and end up with a puking hangover or the everclear overpowers the trip...well not sure were I was going with all that but ....
If I can just dump boiling water on it without losing potency that would be awesome
I read this a couple months ago but figured id ask you first before I tried it ...

ok done rambling
Thanks
  • Soliver likes this

#194 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,272 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 November 2019 - 10:10 AM

I generally combine extract with whatever fruit juice is laying around - a Capri Sun, whatever - with the understanding that - for me - once I drink a juice with extract, that juice is pretty much ruined for me forever ... my brain inextricably links the juice taste and the shroom extract taste ... hence the Capri Suns ... I never drink those otherwise.

I also follow a good dose with an never ending river of domestic swill.  It helps keep me from getting tweaky, but that's just me.  Some of my pals don't drink at all, which I find disturbing at best.

Overall, I like to drink as little extract mixture as possible.  If you evaporate your extracts down sufficiently, you won't be consuming a large amount of everclear - it's just the carrier - dilute 1:3, be a man, huck it back and enjoy ...

soliver

• Billcoz and Opendoors like this

#195 Opendoors

Opendoors

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 147 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 07:27 PM

I generally combine extract with whatever fruit juice is laying around - a Capri Sun, whatever - with the understanding that - for me - once I drink a juice with extract, that juice is pretty much ruined for me forever ... my brain inextricably links the juice taste and the shroom extract taste ... hence the Capri Suns ... I never drink those otherwise.

I also follow a good dose with an never ending river of domestic swill. It helps keep me from getting tweaky, but that's just me. Some of my pals don't drink at all, which I find disturbing at best.

Overall, I like to drink as little extract mixture as possible. If you evaporate your extracts down sufficiently, you won't be consuming a large amount of everclear - it's just the carrier - dilute 1:3, be a man, huck it back and enjoy ...

soliver

I'm hucking brother, I'm hucking...
Like I said I squirt 10ml into each beer....I think that's 1:35 if my math is right (which probably isnt ...but somewhere close) 1:3 is wow...and they've been trying to tell me for 20yrs that I'm an alcoholic,man
Dont get me wrong I chug them ...but my problem is I forget how many I do and my thinking is: maybe do one more just in case, and then one more ....next thing I know I'm blackout drunk ... but hey I got to admit, theres no mushroom hangover.....

I'm not complaining either, I ask alot of questions because...well I'm just always looking for new and exciting shit (without getting myself in a wreck, of course,...well not too much of a wreck
Thanks for responding

#196 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 11,463 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 November 2019 - 10:11 AM

i just want to be clear: you pour boiling water on the extract and then drink it?
I understand that it instantly evaps the everclear but the sudden rush of water and oxygen doesn't evaporate alot of the psilicybin too?

To consume an alcohol-free alcohol extract I make a cup of herbal tea and consume them together.

It doesn't really matter if you add the boiling water to a cup that already has your alcohol extract dose in it or if you pour the dose into the water while the tea is steeping. The tea is optional but without it you just have hot water that tastes terrible.

Once water has been brought to a boil it no longer contains any oxygen, so there are no concerns about destroying the potency through oxidation and the water is nowhere near hot enough for the heat by itself to be an issue.

When I've done this I've always added the alcohol/dose to the cup before adding the water so I don't over-fill the cup with water and not leave enough space for the dose. Plus it bubbles up a bit as the alcohol flashes off so if the cup is full it may spill some.

Edited by TVCasualty, 10 November 2019 - 10:12 AM.

• Sidestreet and Opendoors like this

#197 Opendoors

Opendoors

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 147 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 10:18 PM

Right on ...
That will be my next trip then
  • TVCasualty likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!