• Please log in to reply
224 replies to this topic

#201 Boarders

Boarders

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 72 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 12:27 AM

Do you mean keeping an extract (95% Eth) at room temperature is no good? It NEEDS to be in the freezer? Shit, I made an extract years ago that I've barely touched and it's been sitting in the back of a cupboard. I thought someone (you?) had a batch sitting in a truck through Alaskan summers that was fine when tested years later?

#202 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 13,402 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 January 2020 - 09:58 AM

You're probably okay since it was kept in a dark place. Light is one of the things to protect an extract from as well as oxygen, and freezing them usually accomplishes both really well. Being sealed and in the dark is second-best.

They sell dark tinted 1/2 gallon mason jars now sold as blocking 99% of light, or maybe 99% of UV light (I forget). I bought a few and keep my dried stash in one but it would also be ideal for an extract.

• CatsAndBats, SteampunkScientist and bezevo like this

#203 swayambhu

swayambhu

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 231 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 10:05 AM

Do you mean keeping an extract (95% Eth) at room temperature is no good? It NEEDS to be in the freezer? Shit, I made an extract years ago that I've barely touched and it's been sitting in the back of a cupboard. I thought someone (you?) had a batch sitting in a truck through Alaskan summers that was fine when tested years later?

There's only one way to find out if it's still good...

• SteampunkScientist likes this

#204 swayambhu

swayambhu

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 231 posts

Posted 23 February 2020 - 06:00 PM

Question- I have some kind of mysterious spermy, slimy stringy shit that precipitates out of nowhere on the end of my syringe when I suck up doses of tincture.

It may or may not be anything important. It is certainly unattractive. Can anyone tell me why it would be a shit idea to filter my tincture through something a bit more serious than a coffee filter, such a diotomaceous (sp?) earth?

#205 Fungi2b

Fungi2b

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 410 posts

Posted 23 February 2020 - 06:20 PM

Have you ever been able to extract it down to xtals?

#206 swayambhu

swayambhu

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 231 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 03:19 AM

Me? No. I don’t see the point.

#207 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 13,402 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 February 2020 - 12:14 PM

Me? No. I don’t see the point.

I make them crash out of the tincture and get rid of them to make the extract as free of dissolved solids as possible (I also filter all the sediment out), which makes it lower-profile if transporting it.

It also makes the tincture stronger by removing a significant amount of mass from it so it contains a higher percentage of actives. When I made a tincture out of a pound of dry fungi there was a surprisingly large amount of sugar crashing out of it when I'd reduce and then cool it (probably a few ounces of crystals or so), then even more would form on the glass after put it in the freezer. The crystals that formed in the freezer would stick to the glass so it didn't even require filtering at that point to separate them, just pouring the now-clear (and dark golden/amber) tincture into an empty bottle.

• coorsmikey, SteampunkScientist, bezevo and 2 others like this

#208 clumsy

clumsy

Mycophage

• Gold VIP
  • 118 posts

Posted 02 May 2020 - 12:29 PM

I tripped yesterday on extract prepared from 190 proof and 20 grams of dried cubes. The experience was similar to having eaten 4 or 5 grams, which yields a neat 4:1 potency ratio.

I consumed this at 1:30 pm. At 7 pm I was still tripping, though less. I had trouble falling asleep at 8:45 pm.

• SteampunkScientist, Moonless and YoshiTrainer like this

#209 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,346 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 May 2020 - 12:10 AM

Question- I have some kind of mysterious spermy, slimy stringy shit that precipitates out of nowhere on the end of my syringe when I suck up doses of tincture.

It may or may not be anything important. It is certainly unattractive. Can anyone tell me why it would be a shit idea to filter my tincture through something a bit more serious than a coffee filter, such a diotomaceous (sp?) earth?

Were your mushroom cracker dry when you started?  What % ethanol are you using?  That's an .... odd complaint.

There's no use trying to evap extract to "xtals" as the actives will evap with the ethanol. 

Lots of extracts will leave sugars at the bottom of the jar - they're not active .... TRUST ME ON THIS ONE. 

Hate to go all-caps, but damn ... there's just no such thing as smush cryztlz, as mush as we'd like it to be. 

Extract is the closest you can get to weaponizing mushrooms that I've been able to create.  I'm not an authority on the subject, but ... I've been tryin' ....

In my experience, fantastic extract is very strain-dependent, and you'd better get that shit in the freezer soon AF regardless.  Fuck light - it's the temps that kill your good stuff.  Start with high test ethanol and get you mess in the freezer ASAP or expect potency loss.

:)

soliver

• TVCasualty and SteampunkScientist like this

#210 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

Distinguished Mad Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 4,091 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 May 2020 - 11:04 AM

How are the "yawns" with extract vs tea or direct eating?  Because I get the yawns bad...

#211 Cuboid

Cuboid

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 727 posts

Posted 28 May 2020 - 11:47 AM

...  the actives will evap with the ethanol. 

How can this be when the boiling point of psilocybin is so much higher than that of alcohol?

I don't doubt your practical experience of the residue being non active just questioning the reasons why.

• coorsmikey likes this

#212 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Passenger

• App Administrator
  • 7,248 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 May 2020 - 12:32 PM

How are the "yawns" with extract vs tea or direct eating?  Because I get the yawns bad...

While I still experience the yawn a lil with the extract, I find they are minimal compared to eating whole cubes. Tea seems to be in the middle of one extreme and the other. For me anyway YMMV tea gives me the same side effects as eating whole fruits but with less stomach issues.

#213 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 13,402 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 May 2020 - 01:30 PM

How can this be when the boiling point of psilocybin is so much higher than that of alcohol?

I don't doubt your practical experience of the residue being non active just questioning the reasons why.

They will probably oxidize, not evaporate. But then there's those active "tootsie roll" extracts that are not liquid, though I've not had a chance to try one.

Things will begin to advance exponentially-faster with regard to extracting, refining, and concentrating extracted actives from fungi once a properly-equipped lab can run proper chromatography analysis of all these things we've been doing for years that sometimes work okay, sometimes don't work at all, and sometimes knock our socks off even if we weren't wearing socks.

One question I would like answered by such testing is whether or by how much the psilocybin being extracted in ethanol is also being dephosphorylated into psilocin in vitro. Psilocin is very unstable and oxidizes almost immediately upon drying (apparently) and evapped extracts in most cases don't appear to be active, but at the same time a bag of bone-dry mushrooms if stored properly can stay active (and potent) for years. And then there's baeocystin; does it oxidize, is it active and if so how strong is it vs. psilocin?

• coorsmikey and SteampunkScientist like this

#214 Cuboid

Cuboid

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 727 posts

Posted 28 May 2020 - 02:06 PM

One question I would like answered by such testing is whether or by how much the psilocybin being extracted in ethanol is also being dephosphorylated into psilocin in vitro.

From what I've read you need an acid (or an enzyme) to dephosphorylate psilocybin and ethanol is very slightly basic so I'd not expect this to happen.

Edited by Cuboid, 28 May 2020 - 02:11 PM.

#215 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,346 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 June 2020 - 09:26 PM

There's boiling points and there's simple evaporation and oxidation.

For example, if you make a simple water extract / tea, it will be effective.  Put that tea in a pyrex dish and let the H2O evaporate ... no bueno.

TV mentioned "tootsie rolls" - I'm not saying it's a myth, but I've not heard or seen anything to suggest otherwise.

Heck, there's plenty of data about harvesting liquid mycelium for effects .. I tried it a few times and had no success - that's not to say it can't be done, but my experience would suggest otherwise.

Until someone gets a real lab set up .. it's a tough call.  For example, I extracted 100 grams of GT that was ok after a week of soaking but a distasteful disappointment a few weeks later.  It seems to me some strains simply extract and maintain better than others - in the same way some strains will be G2G five years later in a dry environment while some just suck after a few weeks of being dry.

Wish I had better answers.  The only constant I've experienced is extracting PR's, which are sadly difficult to cultivate sometimes. 

All I can say for certain is that if you get the right strain and make a good extract . . . it's a weaponized mushroom experience that's beyond a 'normal' shroom experience as it pertains to discomfort, yawnies, explosive shit, etc., etc. 

Helpful / Not Helpful?

Legalize Sanity!

:)

soliver

• coorsmikey and SteampunkScientist like this

#216 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Passenger

• App Administrator
  • 7,248 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 June 2020 - 09:36 PM

Tootsie rolls are real! I can say from forgetting to check on my consolidation that the alky extract will leave a brown sludge that is active.

For the sake of science though..... I will run a quart of Shine that has had mush in it for a week through the still. By far anything from a lab but will guinea pig and document the results. Of course to see if the alkaloids come through in the end after being distilled.

#217 Choices

Choices

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 573 posts

Posted 01 June 2020 - 10:38 PM

Tootsie rolls are real! I can say from forgetting to check on my consolidation that the alky extract will leave a brown sludge that is active.

For the sake of science though..... I will run a quart of Shine that has had mush in it for a week through the still. By far anything from a lab but will guinea pig and document the results. Of course to see if the alkaloids come through in the end after being distilled.

Would be very interested in reading the results...

#218 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Passenger

• App Administrator
  • 7,248 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 June 2020 - 10:41 PM

How bout a being a guinea pig with me and posting your assay as well?

#219 Choices

Choices

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 573 posts

Posted 01 June 2020 - 10:43 PM

I’m waiting for material. But will gladly add a sophomoric take.

#220 Robinsparrow

Robinsparrow

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 32 posts

Posted 22 July 2020 - 09:55 AM

I know I'm coming in late on the questions, but I'm soaking 3g (all I have) in Everclear, and I'm just leaving them soaking until next week when I'm going to try it. Is it okay to leave it soaking like that? Should I have it in refrigerator or should I strain it? I can't imagine it really makes that much difference when it's in 190proof alcohol but would love to hear your suggestion.

• Choices likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!