#221 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Passenger

• App Administrator
  • 7,471 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 July 2020 - 10:26 AM

Its fine to let it soak and is the next best thing from doing multiple washes. The fridge would be better in theory but I have left extracts in my vehicle during summer for a long time and it worked just fine too. Just make sure to squeeze the alcohol out of the mushies as best you can when you're ready. You will most likely want to chug it all to yourself @ 3gr. The process does not make it stronger per se and there is a lil bit of the goodies lost in the trash. I just don't want to see you set your expectation higher than what 3gr would give. It will give a cleaner experience with a fast take off and a smooth landing at close to the 4 hour mark.

Edited by coorsmikey, 22 July 2020 - 09:45 PM.

• Soliver, Choices and Robinsparrow like this

#222 Robinsparrow

Robinsparrow

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 32 posts

Posted 22 July 2020 - 02:57 PM

Thanks! Yeah, I understand that it's not a very large dose but it's all I have and I did try a 1gram test dose and this batch is pretty potent. Obviously, I haven't got a huge amount of experience, but I'm learning, and also working on growing my own.

• Choices likes this

#223 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,357 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 July 2020 - 05:49 PM

Tootsie rolls are real! I can say from forgetting to check on my consolidation that the alky extract will leave a brown sludge that is active.

For the sake of science though..... I will run a quart of Shine that has had mush in it for a week through the still. By far anything from a lab but will guinea pig and document the results. Of course to see if the alkaloids come through in the end after being distilled.

That's an experiment I'd love to run, and would, had I the mush to run - whenever I get a good extract, it seems to disappear before too long  :)

Hell, for that matter, I haven't cranked up the still in almost a year - what the FUCK AM I DOING here in quarantine anyway, right?

Hmmm ....

:)

soliver

• OldBear and Robinsparrow like this

#224 Robinsparrow

Robinsparrow

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 32 posts

Posted 28 July 2020 - 08:36 AM

Just wanted to know if with the ethanol extract, you have recommendations on whether to eat before, or fast or what? I know this is supposed to be a much smoother ride, but any advice on food intake before the journey?

#225 p2p

p2p

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 104 posts

Posted 28 July 2020 - 10:02 PM

Just wanted to know if with the ethanol extract, you have recommendations on whether to eat before, or fast or what? I know this is supposed to be a much smoother ride, but any advice on food intake before the journey?

Taking the extract on an empty stomach will speed up the onset. It can be as fast at 10-15 minutes.

• Robinsparrow likes this

#226 Severian

Severian

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 357 posts

Posted 23 October 2020 - 10:26 AM

I'm late to this party.

But, I'm mega surprised that in 12 pages of this thread no one has yet drawn the link between actual herbal medicinal tincture making and the ethanol extract.

In a very abbreviated nutshell; traditional tincture making is a two week minimum process- To extract all the medicinal constituents desired- Though depending on the herbalist you're talking to some will say 4-6 weeks.  Cool, Dark place, with shaking when thought of.

Extracting clearly takes time- no reason to expect great results after only a short soak.

Different herbs have different physiochemical profiles; and the desired medicinal components living in different forms and different ratios; some being polysaccharides, or flavinoids etc etc etc, each being having it's own solubility profile- preferring to be extracted in alcohol or water depending.

So some herbs call for extracting at different % alcohol- to maximally extract both the alcohol and water soluble chemicals.

More Alcohol % is not necessarilly better

Though, Mikey's intent on this tek was in part at least, to eliminate bodyload.

All the talk about oxygen % and the degradation of psilocybin etc etc I can't speak intelligently about; but I imagine that if the alkaloids that lead to 'body load'/ a spiritual trip are water soluble, then bringing the alcohol content of the solvent down to somewhere closer to 50% would produce a trip that had a flavor closer to straight eating the mushrooms.

edit: Even a 50% alcohol extract (Take Everclear, or grain alcohol, 95%, and just call it 100% for easy math, and then mix  with equal parts water) is shelf stable for years.

Edited by Severian, 23 October 2020 - 10:30 AM.

• SteampunkScientist and bezevo like this

#227 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,357 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 November 2020 - 07:07 PM

Most people trying extract want to eliminate the 'normal' shroom trip - otherwise, they'd just eat shrooms (much, much easier).

Water in the ethanol = shroom tea of sorts, which we're trying to avoid.

I do agree on the long, dark / cool extraction.  That's been my success area, with the correct strain (not GT IMO) ....

soliver

#228 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,566 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 November 2020 - 03:25 PM

Concerning alcohol content and preservation. After a year, I notice negligible change in the straight everclear batch, but a significant reduction in 70 percent alcohol. I would say about 40+ percent loss of potency.
  • bezevo likes this

#229 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,357 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 November 2020 - 07:22 PM

Throwing random data into the void -

Some strains seem to extract better than others for long-term storage.

Golden Teacher is NOT a good strain.  I have 2 quarts of awful tasting 90+% shroom flavored liquor that symbolizes a significant amount of effort on my part that is no longer effective at 'normal' doses.  I need to evap it 50% and see if it's active at all . . .

PR and TC have been good strains in my experience for extraction.  Thusfar GT is the only downer.

Just putting that out there,

soliver

• coorsmikey and bezevo like this

#230 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Passenger

• App Administrator
  • 7,471 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 November 2020 - 08:05 PM

Concerning alcohol content and preservation. After a year, I notice negligible change in the straight everclear batch, but a significant reduction in 70 percent alcohol. I would say about 40+ percent loss of potency.

So, you are saying that the higher percentage alcohol preserved the potency after a year and the lower percentage 70% lost some of its mojo? Thats good info as some ever clear sold in certain states is only 75%.

Edited by coorsmikey, 11 November 2020 - 08:08 PM.

#231 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,566 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 November 2020 - 10:21 PM

Correct. Of course that's just comparing two batches. Just to clarify, the the 70 percent was 50/50 everclear and vodka. So if the math is 95 + 50 / 2 = 72.5, that's what I'm going by.
  • coorsmikey likes this

#232 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,357 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 November 2020 - 02:15 PM

I've had batches made with 'real' Everclear that were as good after ten years as they were on day one - stored in the freezer, of course.

In many states you can't get the high % stuff off the shelf, but if you ask at the counter, you'll find that you can special order it, but you gotta buy a whole case, which is great apocalypse prep no matter how you look at it and a sound investment.  Shit doesn't go bad or anything ...

I told 'em I use it to make glycerin soap.  Then I told another guy that I use it to clean computer chipsets and boards.  Then I told another guy that I dump it into old pumpkins and fuck the hole to get drunk ... the reactions were pretty much the same across the board.  Sensible people, those fellas at the ABC ...

soliver

• TVCasualty likes this

#233 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 13,564 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 November 2020 - 06:29 PM

I've had batches made with 'real' Everclear that were as good after ten years as they were on day one - stored in the freezer, of course.

That's been my experience as well. I've had extreme longevity in Everclear extracts when I added some citric acid crystals and also when I didn't, so I guess the citric acid was unnecessary for preservation (I was mainly going for the lime juice soak experience in an extract, and as far as I can tell it worked great for that).

I told 'em I use it to make glycerin soap.  Then I told another guy that I use it to clean computer chipsets and boards.  Then I told another guy that I dump it into old pumpkins and fuck the hole to get drunk ... the reactions were pretty much the same across the board.  Sensible people, those fellas at the ABC ...

Now that's kind of interesting since I would not have expected a penis to act like a straw. I'll have to dip mine into some bourbon later while doing some abdominal exercises I was taught by a belly dancer and see what happens. :thumbs_up:

• coorsmikey likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!