11 replies to this topic

#1 ChimX

ChimX

Spiritual Forager

• Free Member
  • 193 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 12:06 PM

*This is not a success story*

I'm simply posting this to relay results achieved with the methods used. Perhaps someone (even myself) might be able to add to, or subtract from this format to achieve better results.

01/31 Mixed 500ml spent coffee grounds, 500ml vermiculite, and 300ml water. 7 PF cakes were made from the resulting mix.

02/01 4 Cakes incoculated with multi-spore Thai Pink Buffalo. 3 Cakes incoculated with multi-spore Penis Envy.

03/21 The TPB cakes began to pin invitro and were birthed. The PE cakes had colonized 100% with an extremely light mycelium layer, but never consolidated. They were birthed regardless.

The colonization times, as noted, were far less than desirable. When birthed, all cakes felt extremely spongey and frail. Due to the fragile nature of the cakes, one of the TPBs lost a top quarter of its mass in the berthing process. A couple days after birth, the PE cakes showed no signs of further consolidation and were buried in the garden.

3 of the TPB jars were half pints and the last jar was a full pint. The full pint never reached full colonization, but still began to pin invitro. This one was also crumbled and buried. The remaining 3 TPB half pint cakes were dunked for 24 hours and I was surprised to find that they hadn't dissolved overnight.

3 Half Pint TPB Coffee Cakes Pinning Invitro
20170321_223707.jpg
20170321_223406.jpg
20170321_223350.jpg

3 Half Pint TPB Coffee Cakes Fruiting in SGFC
20170325_202536.jpg
20170326_121451.jpg

If I were to attempt this recipe again, I'd certainly go with the original PF ratio of 4/2/2 vermiculite, spent coffee grinds, and water.

It felt as if the mycelium was having a hard time colonizing the coffee substrate and by the time it managed to reach the bottom of the jar, the mycelium had consumed the nutrients at the top.

The effect, as seen in the photos above, looked like icing on a cake. Initially the top portion of the jar was white as well, but by full colonization it looked as if the mycelium had abandoned the upper portion, leaving a light brown substrate behind.

Perhaps with less coffee and more vermiculite, the mycelium might manage to colonize more quickly, evenly, and form a stronger mass.

As is, the colonization times are far too long, the cakes need better structure, and the pin sets were weak. It's difficult, however, to judge pinsets from just 3 multi-spore incoculations.

(On the bright side, I was out of TPB material and the two fruits pictured should drop a few spores.)

Metta
-ChimX
  • MLBjammer, CatsAndBats, tailsmcsnails and 1 other like this

#2 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

(~);}

• App Administrator
  • 3,282 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 March 2017 - 02:50 PM

As far as cakes go, it is hard to top the incredibly simple recipe of BRF. But sure is fun to experiment and try different things.
  • ChimX, CatsAndBats and Ferather like this

#3 dead_diver

dead_diver

Stoned Since '76

• OG VIP
  • 3,496 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 March 2017 - 05:31 PM

Try mixing different ratios of coffee and BRF
  • ChimX and Ferather like this

#4 Ferather

Ferather

Reverse Engineer

• Free Member
  • 732 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 05:47 PM

Both of the above, I don't think 100% coffee works (not sure), so a weak version would be worse?

#5 ChimX

ChimX

Spiritual Forager

• Free Member
  • 193 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 07:40 PM

But then suddenly...

20170329_164128.jpg
20170329_164104-1.jpg
20170329_163950-2.jpg
20170329_163950-1.jpg

These unexpected pins and fruits that have developed, have certainly renewed my interest and curiosity. While still far from proclaiming the recipe a success, I'll definitely play around some more with ratios over the next few weeks. If I can manage faster colonization times, I'll be content.

Bear in mind, these are only spent coffee grinds and verm. The idea is just to dink around with some 'cheap' alternatives to brown rice flower. Using something that my wife tosses out everyday seemed kind of appealing.

I'd only expected to see pins on the white mycelium 'icing' layer of the cakes, and was surprised to see them popping up through the light brown substrate that the 'icing' had left behind (see original post).

I 'think' that going with the original PF cake ratio will speed up colonization times, which I'll use on the next batch. I'll also be using LC dominant sub-strain syringes as opposed to the multi-spore inoculants used previously.

All suggestions are extremely welcome. It'd be awesome to perfect a PF coffee cake recipe that colonizes within acceptable time frames and provides satisfactory fruits.

I'll post with more results of the next attempt.

Metta
-ChimX

#6 ChimX

ChimX

Spiritual Forager

• Free Member
  • 193 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 10:16 PM

Here's a cute little TPB mutant that grew off the bottom of one of these coffee cakes. I love whacky stuff like this, especially mutants.

20170416_182817.jpg
20170416_182639.jpg
20170416_183656.jpg

Anyone have any ideas why these pop up? Contams, environment, genetics, bleach, etc?

Metta
-ChimX

#7 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,115 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 April 2017 - 11:06 PM

The stale coffee we get...................hahahahaha

Cosmic rays do strange things to everything too.........who knows man????? That's awesome!

Did you put that amazing little guy on agar?

You're going to have a long strange trip finding out how many different substrates these things will grow from....IMHO

Which of course is a good thing.........

A

• ChimX likes this

#8 ChimX

ChimX

Spiritual Forager

• Free Member
  • 193 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 11:17 PM

Brilliant idea Arathu! I'd love to grow this out on agar. I put it to dry this evening, as I'd have no problem eating it, but I'd rather go your route. Anyway I can rehydrate it afterwards to clone?

You reminded me that I need to post for some super basic homemade agar recipes. I'll start tomorrow if I can can get a simple recipe with ingredients on hand. Thanks Arathu!

Metta
-ChimX

Edited by ChimX, 16 April 2017 - 11:18 PM.

#9 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,115 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 April 2017 - 11:44 PM

I don't know...possibly some sterile water for a short time and then on to agar.....make sure it's cooled before dropping the little fella in there.....I haven't done that myself yet........

I'm about to crash so I'll take a peek in the AM.......

Cool stuff!

A

• ChimX likes this

#10 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,115 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 April 2017 - 07:21 AM

https://mycotopia.ne...ar#entry1123100

Dig it man......it's probably worth a try, if you're so inclined brother..........

A

• ChimX likes this

#11 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,115 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 April 2017 - 07:56 AM

I have a grifola frondosa plate that got neglected and dried out...........now you got me wondering................hahahahaha

:wub: There's no better tasting mushroom on earth as far as I am concerned..........

• ChimX likes this

#12 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

[^._.^]ノ彡 & /|\( ;,;)/|\

• OG VIP
  • 8,107 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 April 2017 - 08:11 AM

I learned about reviving dried fruits at the last RMC. Padilla (mycosymbiotics) revives dried fruits with h2o2, as I understand it.

• Arathu and ChimX like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!