#21 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 5,008 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 April 2017 - 12:29 AM

I'm not convinced anything you could study today has better than a 50% chance of still being viable in 20 years, considering how rapidly the economic, social, political and technological landscape is changing.

Possessing knowledge, skill, and/or experience involving shelter, water, fire, and food will always be handy so long as there are any humans left alive on this planet, so knowing how to build 'shelter,' how to purify/clean/manage water, how to acquire/store/utilize energy, or how to grow/acquire/distribute food will always be relevant (to say the least!). This can be approached in a high-tech manner, a low-tech manner, or some combo of both.

^^ +1 ^^

I'm too old, and to far down my path to 'learn a new trade'. But I continue to always try and learn new things that can make me less dependent on others, or society in general. A lot of people discount the so called 'simple things', like the ability to process fire wood, how to fix the car, how to make and operate a still to make clean water where there is none, or how to grow and preserve food.

Without knowing some of these skills, you are completely at the mercy of the system. If they turned off the power today, and the trucks quit delivering food for you to buy at the grocery store... How long would you be able to survive without help. Could you even cook a hot meal on the first night, let alone a year in?

These kind of skills have value, even in (especially in) an environment that is not using official green backs as a means to assign valve for goods, and service. With this kind of trade and barter, the meek and simple people can survive.

Edited by Juthro, 12 April 2017 - 12:30 AM.

• TVCasualty, Spooner and archersmark like this

#22 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 2,231 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 April 2017 - 12:59 AM

... the meek and simple people can survive.

Around here the old folks who had grown up during the depression used to say, "We never had enough money to know we were poor."

• tailsmcsnails likes this

#23 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 5,008 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 April 2017 - 01:12 AM

Thank you, Spooner, that's the point I was trying to make. For the most part those old timers look back to those times fondly, even though they were lean times, and times of sacrifice.

Money, and ladder climbing does not equate to happiness, and success. The simple pleasures are the ones that make you smile and feel good about being alive, not the number of zeros in your bank balance.

But to be fair, I understand in todays world you cant completely ignore the rat race. Cuz that without any money, it can be awfully hard to find a place to be happy most of the time.
  • Spooner likes this

#24 archersmark

archersmark

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 138 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 07:04 PM

I agree with so much of the advice above, especially from Tails.  I started life as a programmer but have gotten more into the data side of things, analysis, reporting etc, so I get to spend more time with end users trying to solve problems that appreciate me bridging the IT world from their business world.  If your corporate culture is the problem, change companies.  I was in a major funk this year so far and just two weeks ago realized what was causing all my stress (my boss and my role), a position came across email from linkedin, and from that email to interview to offer to acceptance was 6 days, and I'm not a rock star, just used my network of former coworkers to find a good fit. 

If all else fails, use your well paying job to fund your hobbies and plans for future financial independence.  If you're unattached, think about other places in the world/country you are in.  Programmers can work remote from anywhere, you could be on a beach or in a treehouse in indonesia and still be pulling down $100K USD.  If you love the work but hate your corporate culture, damn dude change companies.  Don't be shy about moving every 2 years, the demand for some skill sets is so intense that it is expected and not looked down on to be able to jump jobs every year or two.  Seriously, the old rules from even 5 to 10 years ago don't apply, and your current skill set will be possibly worthless in 20 years, so if a company change nets you a 10% raise every year or so, friggin do it.  I had coworkers who jumped jobs 10 and 15 years ago that I disrespected for "abandoning us" in our corporate team, but they're all VPs and CIOs now and making 2x or more than I am, because they took on new challenges, learned new skills, stretched into management or highly technical/specialized roles and kept moving up.   Other folks burned out or used their programming salaries to fund 2nd and 3rd careers.  One went back to school to become a Vet (pets) another city council and then mayor. 

Note I'm in the US, in a major city, so my experiences may be specific to this situation.

Another thing I would say is work towards financial independence, then you won't have to be a "fill in role title" for someone else.  Wish I had invested in rental real estate etc 20 years ago continuously.  By now I would be fully independent and wealthy if I knew back then what I know now. 

• tailsmcsnails likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!