• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Dilatedpupils

Dilatedpupils

HappyDude

• Free Member
  • 106 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 11:32 PM

Title says it all either my skills suck or I'm working with the wrong strains..

is you SEARZ?

#2 Opalguy

Opalguy

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 108 posts

Donator

Posted 30 March 2017 - 12:10 AM

What strain are you working with, and what is going on with it? Tell us the story, there is someone here who has encountered the same things and will help.

• Heirloom Spores and CatsAndBats like this

#3 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

/(^ x ^)\

• OG VIP
  • 7,196 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 March 2017 - 09:29 AM

Title says it all either my skills suck or I'm working with the wrong strains..

is you SEARZ?

If getting higher yields was as easy as just picking a different substrain the content on this site would be considerably smaller.

Just like anything in life, one gets what one puts into it. It takes time, patience, reading and experience to get big full canopies. One cannot just run a couple of cakes or trays and expect to have @eatyualive sized yields. Even though the basics are easy to grasp in order to get results, it takes time and hard work to maximize what's best for one's individual situation.

Reading and cleaning are two of the least talked about intangibles in this hobby, but IMHO, are two of the most important. That and patience.

Follow teks to the letter, read, ask questions and in no time one will see improved results, but it won't be overnight.

• Sidestreet, MLBjammer, riseabovethought and 7 others like this

#4 archersmark

archersmark

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 126 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 10:53 AM

I agree with cat, especially since I'm still a newbie.  I will say it helps to have a mentor or friend in the same hobby.  I have someone to trade spores/agar with and as he is more experienced, he will oftentimes get better results out of the same strain that I struggle with.  I recently switched to a corumba brazil which is known for speed of colonization and I have had great luck with it, but I'm not going for yields, I'm going for learning and for figuring out which of my techniques open me up to contamination etc.  I think of the brazilian as my partner and when I get contamination it's because I'm not holding up my part of the relationship, which is as Cat says, to read lots, to clean lots, and to simplify my recipes and techniques as I am still relatively inexperienced. Just my 0.02 USD

• MLBjammer and CatsAndBats like this

#5 dead_diver

dead_diver

Stoned Since '76

• Free Member
  • 3,434 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 March 2017 - 06:15 PM

I think high yields can be obtained on a consistent basis with many strains if one is willing to put in the time and effort to do the agar work until an isolate with the desired trait is found.

Edited by dead_diver, 30 March 2017 - 06:16 PM.

• MLBjammer and CatsAndBats like this

#6 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,269 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 March 2017 - 07:05 PM

Yes, you nailed it.  You have to work with a strain or species and refine the genetics, which takes a bit of time and patience.

A MS syringe grow can be very good, average or poor.  You just never know, and it could happen with any strain.

I always suggest sticking with a strain for a year or two.  I worked with Redboy for years and am currently over a year working with AA+.

Good luck, man.

• Sidestreet, archersmark, CatsAndBats and 1 other like this

#7 panaho

panaho

Keyboard Krusader

• Free Member
  • 352 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 08:48 PM

all of the cube varieties pretty much have  the same growth characteristics and require mostly the same environments to get where they are going. To get the most out of this hobby one should use tried and faithful  methods . I just so happens that my experience in this matter tells me that getting a pressure cooker, having some whole wheat grains and white rice to boot, as well as a spore print , alcohol lamp or reasonable facsimile to heat a scalpel with  and lastly a source of horse poo to use as a base for common bulk growing are all that is needed for tons and tons of the things. I know . This is a true fact. Anybody will tell you the same thing.

Before doing anything one must of course be able .  Trial and error come in handy if there are no teachers to help you out.

Go bulk and go bad .

It is cool.

#8 scott_1971_h

scott_1971_h

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 155 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 10:57 PM

Umm where are all the strains? I see lots of people using designations and every1 seems to understand what they mean... except for me lol.

#9 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 7,360 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 April 2017 - 05:49 AM

Umm where are all the strains? I see lots of people using designations and every1 seems to understand what they mean... except for me lol.

Here's our cubensis strainbase: https://mycotopia.ne...sis-strainbase/

As for strain acronyms, I'm not sure if there is a list, but there should be.  Here are a few:

PE = Penis Envy

APE = Albino Penis Envy

PESH = Pacifica Exotica Spora - Hawaiian

PESA = Pacifica Exotica Spora - Amazon

EQ = Equador

A+ = Not sure, just stands for "albino" maybe?

PF = Psilocybe Fanaticus

I bet someone will come along who can list some more.

Here is another list of non-strain acronyms that might help:  https://mycotopia.ne...s-and-acronyms/

Edited by Sidestreet, 04 April 2017 - 05:49 AM.

#10 Hash_Man

Hash_Man

Cranky Old Weed Codger

• OG VIP
  • 2,156 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 April 2017 - 07:16 AM

Yea . . @Dilatedpupils,
What everybody said, and what stands out is Cats remark to follow a TEK to the tee. It's hard to explain but like alot of things the more experience the better the yield will be. At one time I found I grew best growing big cakes style subs (grain to sub) 1:1 ratio, although I wanted to make full tubs like everyone else this was working for me, Just keep growing bro. But in answer to you question Ecuadorians seemed to yield alot of weight AA+'s you can't go wrong, good luck 'Dilated'

Edited by Hash_Man, 04 April 2017 - 07:17 AM.

• CatsAndBats likes this

#11 mjroom

mjroom

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 555 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 April 2017 - 01:53 AM

to me it's not about yield but rather it's about potency. Hence my interest in wood lovers such as the following psilocybe varieties which are known to be the potent of the potent, p. azurescens, p. cyanescens, p. semilanceata, p. subaeruginose (said to be the highest). With high potency you need take only lower doses which results in less toxicity which make things safer and there will be fewer side effects and body load resulting from secondary constituents. You want to look for mushrooms which produce mostly psilocybin because it stores very well and for a long time when kept dry. Psilocin breaks down quickly so it's great when fresh but you can only eat so much at a time. It is my understanding that unless you want to capture spores that harvesting is best done just some days prior to the veil breaking. Active mushrooms have already produced all the active components that they will prior to that time and they then shift all their efforts into producing spores. So harvesting small means you will have more available substrate for additional flushes which means more mushrooms. The only reason other than collecting spores for letting mushrooms grow and open and drop spores would be to capitalize on physical volume. The smaller mushrooms are gram for gram more potent and less toxic to take. That is just my take on things and others are free to see it any way they choose. mjroom.

• riseabovethought likes this

#12 riseabovethought

riseabovethought

innerspace explorer

• App Administrator
  • 3,804 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 April 2017 - 01:12 PM

There's no question that sterile technique, once refined, is the only way forward in this hobby.  Your first grow is so rewarding because of that high barrier to entry.  Its the gift that keeps on giving, and the skills required prove you made it!  Dont give up, see super small, work super clean and quick (I like bags and I like PESH), and soon, the Gods will gift you with a ticket to hyperspace.  They'll be proud of you too, and thankful for your tending to them so well.  They just need a good start, a foothold, and then they will thrive.  You can do this.  Searz.

Edited by riseabovethought, 18 April 2017 - 01:23 PM.

• peacefrog likes this

#13 peacefrog

peacefrog

Wandering Soul

• OG VIP
  • 1,409 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 April 2017 - 05:52 PM

As said above, to consistency achieve great producing grows, you need good genetics. One can get this only through hours of work and testing multiple strains. The law of averages will dictate if you test enough isolates or clones, you will find a culture that gives you the characteristics you are looking for. It just takes some time and patience.
  • Microbe likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: beginner, suggestions

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!