Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Its Wasnt Eating Meat That Made Our Brains Grow So Big, It Was Eating Fruit!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 riseabovethought

riseabovethought

innerspace explorer

• App Administrator
  • 3,857 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 March 2017 - 11:01 AM

Humans have big brains because we like one specific type of food

Science tells us that humans evolved from primate ancestors and that despite the fact that apes still exist, we’re actually just a different branch on the same family tree. But why did our ancient predecessors grow larger, more complex brains than their peers? A new study might have an answer for that, and it’s a lot simpler than you might imagine: they ate fruit.

The research, which was carried out by several scientists including Alex DeCasien, a doctoral candidate at New York University who served as lead author, focused on comparing the brain sizes and dietary habits of over 140 different species of primates in search of correlation. After closely studying various monkeys, lemurs, apes, and other similar animals, the data showed that diets including fruit are directly linked to higher brain mass.

According to the study, animals with fruit diets have approximately 25% more brain tissue than their peers, after taking into account differences in overall size and body weight.

“If you are foraging on harder-to-access food, like fruit instead of leaves, then you need to have all the cognitive strategies to deal with that,” DeCasien notes. She believes that over many generations, fruit-rich diets could have facilitated larger brains, which would then have made gathering the food easier.

The theory could help explain why some species of primate exhibit larger brains than their counterparts living in the same areas and under the same basic social structures, though DeCasien accepts that even if diet plays a role, it’s likely just one piece in a complex puzzle that includes things like social behavior which truly determines an evolutionary path.

http://nypost.com/20...c-type-of-food/

Edited by riseabovethought, 30 March 2017 - 11:03 AM.

• CatsAndBats likes this

#2 riseabovethought

riseabovethought

innerspace explorer

• App Administrator
  • 3,857 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 March 2017 - 11:09 AM

And of course then they found some mushrooms...

[Direct Link]

And now we can make trippy animation like this

[Direct Link]

Edited by riseabovethought, 30 March 2017 - 11:17 AM.

#3 TheMorningstar

TheMorningstar

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 53 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 11:39 AM

yeah theres actually a decent amount of evidence that it was fruit and that heavy usage of meat is actually a more modern thing.

anyway, going on an all fruit and shroom diet brb
  • riseabovethought likes this

#4 TheMorningstar

TheMorningstar

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 53 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 11:41 AM

i can't figure out how to edit on mobile but i wanted to say i think caloric intake + evolutionary pressure is the biggest factor in brain development, and that the source of food may have been fruit and nuts
  • riseabovethought likes this

#5 tailsmcsnails

tailsmcsnails

"DOOR"

• Black VIP
  • 490 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 March 2017 - 03:53 PM

Two awesome books that debunk the idea that meat was a major part of our early diet are Born To Run by Chris McDougall and Eat to Live by Joel Fuhrman. Both life changers
  • ChimX likes this

#6 August West

August West

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,217 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 March 2017 - 08:15 PM

Two awesome books that debunk the idea that meat was a major part of our early diet are Born To Run by Chris McDougall and Eat to Live by Joel Fuhrman. Both life changers

I haven't read those books (though I've heard Born To Run is good) but, how does one "debunk" a theory that cannot be definitively proven either way?

#7 tailsmcsnails

tailsmcsnails

"DOOR"

• Black VIP
  • 490 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 March 2017 - 09:02 PM

I haven't read those books (though I've heard Born To Run is good) but, how does one "debunk" a theory that cannot be definitively proven either way?

maybe not the right word.  Good evidence for a different hypothesis.  Apologies for vagueness.  I appreciate that I can't get away with that laziness here, sincerely.  It's the reason I value this community so highly.

Edited by tailsmcsnails, 30 March 2017 - 09:04 PM.

#8 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

Shiitake Novice 206 Logs

• OG VIP
  • 9,671 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 March 2017 - 10:08 PM

I had a friend once who had a band called, "The Lying Vegans."  

Still, I think it should probably be fruits, seeds, and any bugs that get in the way. 

I am fairly close to vegan, but not quite all the way. 

• tailsmcsnails likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!