• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

#21 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 452 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 09:28 AM

Well then I researched. It has been done. My phone doesn't let me post links, but you can search for it here and find some answers.

#22 Heirloom

Heirloom

practitioner

• OG VIP
  • 3,825 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 April 2017 - 04:24 PM

Cubenis on newspaper

https://mycotopia.ne...er-lazlo-style/

#23 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

detective dorkasaurus

• OG VIP
  • 7,731 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 April 2017 - 04:31 PM

I have a question:
I know that cubes can (indeed love) to dine out on pulped cardboard but as I was cleaning up my desk, I started throwing out lots of newspaper. So the question I have is:
Do cubes also get stuck into newspaper? I know the paper is deficient in lignin compared to cardboard, has anyone tried growing on paper... I know that breaking down lignin is a 'Fungal Forte', so if anyone has grown on paper, was there any obvious deficiencies in the way they grow, like they refused to fruit, or anything like that...

I did it several times as my illustrious compatriot @heirloom linked. Check out @hyph's puck tek for more reading: https://mycotopia.ne...ssed-substrate/

• Heirloom likes this

#24 scott_1971_h

scott_1971_h

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 303 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 05:26 AM

OK, one of my jars is fully colonised. Now what? I've never done this b4 lol

• Heirloom likes this

#25 Cigarsam

Cigarsam

Traveler

• Free Member
  • 651 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 07:03 AM

Let the jar co!noise for another 7 days.
Then all you do is take take the colonized cake out of the jar and wash it off using tap water or distilled water and soak the cake for 24 hours. No longer than that.
Roll the cake in verm and place it into a fruiting chamber and begin misting and fanning. ( dunk and roll)
Almost there.
Good luck
  • Arathu, Heirloom , CatsAndBats and 1 other like this

#26 scott_1971_h

scott_1971_h

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 303 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 06:47 AM

Hope they're good.

• tailsmcsnails likes this

#27 niemandgeist

niemandgeist

You make me happy in a manic sort of way :)

• OG VIP
  • 2,452 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 April 2017 - 03:48 PM

As everyone else has already stated, it takes time for the cakes to colonize. Once they've colonized fully around the sides and bottoms of your jars, you'll usually want to give them another week to fully consolidate, which means that the mycelium will finish colonizing the innards of the substrate.

After that, you can get ready to birth them.

This hobby really does require some level of patience, but it's well worth it.

I'm hoping to see positive updates on your progress.

• jkdeth likes this

#28 scott_1971_h

scott_1971_h

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 303 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 04:45 AM

What sort of pressure cookers has every1 got? I was thinking of getting one, but cant decide if an old style jiggler thing would be better, or an electronic thingie: https://www.target.c...cooker/57444178

#29 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 4,375 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 April 2017 - 06:17 AM

https://www.gopresto...ss/SS_01755.pdf

This is one of the units I have..............she's my work horse

Presto 16 quart pressure canner............

A

• MLBjammer, Heirloom and j4ym0lly like this

#30 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 452 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 07:11 AM

I currently don't own one but I've been around Presto canners all my life. I'll probably with the 23 quart when I do purchase.
We also had the smaller ones, don't remember what size they were, my Mom's generation and older used the small for cooking food, imagine that, lol.

I'm not familiar with the electronic ones, but personal I would avoid those, seems like just too many extra failure points, and like most of today's consumer industry it probably is only good for a few years.

If you consider a used one, make sure you do get the jigger thing, some of the very old ones are hard to get replacements for.
  • Heirloom likes this

#31 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 4,375 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 April 2017 - 04:40 PM

If you consider a used one, make sure you do get the jigger thing, some of the very old ones are hard to get replacements for.

IMHO......... I'd probably steer clear of used PC's for several reasons, parts, previous owners, and etc........

Just my opinion of course.........

A

• Heirloom likes this

#32 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 452 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 04:59 PM

I wouldn't be to afraid of used ones, even so I agree that used ones aren't the best option, they can be dangerous, any signs of damage, pitting, etc would be a red flag for me.

If you've ever seen what can happen if they blow, it's not pretty, stoves destroyed,and ceiling above.

That being said the one I used to have was from the fifties, only reason I stopped using it was the weight was lost, and I couldn't replace it. I did try, but the "universal replacement" wasn't reliable.
The gasket was an issue as well, had to heat up before it would seal.
  • scott_1971_h likes this

#33 sandman

sandman

Essence of Gypsum

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,918 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 April 2017 - 05:04 PM

I wouldn't think twice about buying a used AA pc as long as it's not pitted. Mine is 50 years old. Have a presto that pitted in a year but I tend to leave steel rings in the bottom with the water and that must have caused a reaction.

• Heirloom likes this

#34 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

detective dorkasaurus

• OG VIP
  • 7,731 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 April 2017 - 05:08 PM

I wouldn't think twice about buying a used AA pc as long as it's not pitted. Mine is 50 years old. Have a presto that pitted in a year but I tend to leave steel rings in the bottom with the water and that must have caused a reaction.

He was only 150yrs old when he bought it. :biggrin:
  • sandman likes this

#35 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 452 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 05:13 PM

Are the AA ones aluminum? The was my other concern about my old one, when ever it was brought out, after being put away clean and dry, there was a fine white powder coating the inside, following a pattern of discoloration. My fear was that it indicated a slow degradation in structural integrity.

#36 sandman

sandman

Essence of Gypsum

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,918 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 April 2017 - 05:16 PM

He was only 150yrs old when he bought it. :biggrin:

That's just how long it takes to find a deal on one on ebay!

• Cue likes this

#37 sandman

sandman

Essence of Gypsum

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,918 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 April 2017 - 05:18 PM

Are the AA ones aluminum? The was my other concern about my old one, when ever it was brought out, after being put away clean and dry, there was a fine white powder coating the inside, following a pattern of discoloration. My fear was that it indicated a slow degradation in structural integrity.

AA cookers are cast aluminum. It would be a folly to worry about an All American cooker EVER wearing out.

• FieldTrip likes this

#38 Heirloom

Heirloom

practitioner

• OG VIP
  • 3,825 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 April 2017 - 06:07 PM

@ scott, no reason they won't be good. In a few weeks or so we'll probably here how good they are.

@ sandman , I bet the aluminum did react with the lids over time. I am sure metals react to one another over time especially with water.

I just found out that I can recycle silver containg solutions to get silver metal using water and a copper penny.

I use a presto that's aluminum.

jkdeth, mine discolored also, a reaction to my tap water ?
you can use cream of tarter to shine the inside of the aluminum PC's.

I really enjoy seeing a guy's first grow, everybody worries then they realize it was nothing to worry about.

Edited by Heirloom Spores, 14 April 2017 - 06:08 PM.

• spunforfun, Cigarsam, scott_1971_h and 1 other like this

#39 scott_1971_h

scott_1971_h

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 303 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 07:08 PM

I wouldn't be to afraid of used ones, even so I agree that used ones aren't the best option, they can be dangerous, any signs of damage, pitting, etc would be a red flag for me.

If you've ever seen what can happen if they blow, it's not pretty, stoves destroyed,and ceiling above.

That being said the one I used to have was from the fifties, only reason I stopped using it was the weight was lost, and I couldn't replace it. I did try, but the "universal replacement" wasn't reliable.
The gasket was an issue as well, had to heat up before it would seal.

I've seen what can happen to a person who cracked the lid off while it was still hot. Ouch.

#40 scott_1971_h

scott_1971_h

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 303 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 04:06 AM

OK... Nearly time I popped this thing out and dunked it. After that... How much misting and fanning?

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!