13 replies to this topic

#1 Hash_Man

Hash_Man

Cranky Old Weed Codger

• OG VIP
  • 2,330 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 April 2017 - 10:34 AM

Hi all, as some of you may know I've had some trouble cloning, I have one mother that's very hard to clone so attempting air layering this time.
Most air layering techniques involve a pice of Saran Wrap that you tape around the stem bottom and the top to secure it, this wasn't working for me as the tape was just all over the place it's a tight area that I have to work in, one technique I saw where a guy used a prescription pill bottle cut a slot through it but that was still going to be too complicated for me anyway but it led for me to think to use a cigarette pack cellophane and cut a hole at the bottom and place it over the top of the branch leaves and slip it down to the area I want to grow roots.
20170319_193549-1.jpg 20170402_093152-1.jpg 20170402_093209.jpg 20170402_095530.jpg 20170402_095710-1.jpg
20170402_100035.jpg
I've use Coco coir ads a moist medium lite heavy 16 Bloom nutes, theri 'Prime' and their 'Roots' also some OG BioWars 'roots' so mostly biologicals and support. Then poked some holes in the cellophane and wrapped up the top
20170402_100707.jpg
Now wait and see will keep you updated

Attached Thumbnails

• 20170402_095556.jpg

Edited by Hash_Man, 02 April 2017 - 03:49 PM.

• fungi2bwith, wildedibles, Juthro and 2 others like this

#2 morvis

morvis

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 176 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 03:50 PM

So this is supposed to root on the plant then you snip that off and transplant?  Interesting.

I started a cutting experiment today, I found this method https://www.icmag.co...ad.php?t=335958and did that with some styrofoam cups i had laying around the house.

EejRg17.jpg

• wildedibles and Heirloom like this

#3 Hash_Man

Hash_Man

Cranky Old Weed Codger

• OG VIP
  • 2,330 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 April 2017 - 04:02 PM

I am going to try that way too do you know how often or how do you know when to add more water/solution to it?

Edited by Hash_Man, 02 April 2017 - 04:03 PM.

• wildedibles likes this

#4 morvis

morvis

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 176 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 05:06 PM

Probably not often, there's pretty much a small reservoir of water in the bottom couple inches of the cup under the drain hole. I can't imagine it would dry up anytime soon especially in a closed environment.  People in the thread talking a week to having viable roots.  I'm just going to leave it undisturbed for a week and see what happens.

• Hash_Man likes this

#5 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,356 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 April 2017 - 08:37 PM

I like cloning in perlite, I like to use clear cups to see when the roots pop out.

heard about air layering but never tried it.
  • Hash_Man likes this

#6 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,473 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 April 2017 - 02:44 AM

Very neat I seen this done before in a house plant book good luck I can see it working well for you I have never done it but I might try if it works for you there is some apple trees that I wanna try cloning
...One problem I had with cloning just remembered was too bright of light ....my clones would droop and not recover dieing off but the cut was good I read somewhere that clones need less light so they root instead of trying to grow tops still then the light can even out again when rooted ...make sense? ....It worked for me pulling them back from the window sill a bit rooted just fine and I didnt change anything but the light ....(peat potting mix and diped in rooting powder)

I loe this idea I really wanted to see it being done with the clear plastic you will see the roots come and know when to cut it off .......it be like planting the strawberry plant before cutting the cord :) that worked well for me this summer :)

Edited by wildedibles, 03 April 2017 - 02:51 AM.

• Heirloom likes this

#7 Hash_Man

Hash_Man

Cranky Old Weed Codger

• OG VIP
  • 2,330 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 April 2017 - 05:13 AM

You might Google some I think you have to air layer in the dormant season on trees but where your at it be colder than a witch's ass on a brass broomstick

#8 morvis

morvis

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 176 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 06:45 AM

A buddy said you bend down and bury part of a rose stem it'll grow roots and you can then cut it so I don't see why it wouldnt work.

#9 morvis

morvis

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 176 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 08:02 PM

I checked my tub today, I had a few root shoots ~.5 inch on a couple of them, and little root nubs started on the other 2.

• Hash_Man likes this

#10 Hash_Man

Hash_Man

Cranky Old Weed Codger

• OG VIP
  • 2,330 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 April 2017 - 05:11 AM

I checked my tub today, I had a few root shoots ~.5 inch on a couple of them, and little root nubs started on the other 2.

Yes, cool yea definitely works it's a good thing, I got three out of three I'll try and get pictures tonight .. been slammed at work
  • Juthro likes this

#11 sandman

sandman

Essence of Gypsum

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,959 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 April 2017 - 08:34 AM

Seems like a lot of trouble for something that is usually so easy, is the strain worth it?

#12 Hash_Man

Hash_Man

Cranky Old Weed Codger

• OG VIP
  • 2,330 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 April 2017 - 10:22 AM

Seems like a lot of trouble for something that is usually so easy, is the strain worth it?

I know, right?
Hey Sandman! . . We'll find out in a few weeks if the strain is worth it alot of good reports on Dinafems OG Kush. But really I'm kinda liking air layering also the technque is useful to those keeping their plant count low, in Colorado most can only have three and three so if your growing large plants while your veging you can get a head start of growth on your next round instead of going over your veg limit, I don't live in Colorado any more but sharing to expand on options for those who do or similar states. So really Sandy it isn't to much a PITA I had two pheno's from seed one was more sativa structured, and a heavier yielder than the other but this pheno was difficult to clone (only got two clones out of say 15-20 doing it the regular way) the other one cloned easily for me, so for me I just got some coir put in some lite nutes and biologicals made it field capacity (we know how to do that) and stuck it in the open top of the cellophane and twist tie the top and got 3 out of 3 success it's less stressful for the clones and mentally for me, lol . . Because I'm trying to do single cola SOG's I'm having a need to get 7 to 10 clones a week for a period of time so this is going to help

Edited by Hash_Man, 13 April 2017 - 12:58 PM.

• sandman and Heirloom like this

#13 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,356 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 April 2017 - 03:54 PM

A good clone would be a terrible thing to waste.

I think we need clone banks to save special clones.
  • sandman and Hash_Man like this

#14 Hash_Man

Hash_Man

Cranky Old Weed Codger

• OG VIP
  • 2,330 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 April 2017 - 03:38 PM

A good clone would be a terrible thing to waste.I think we need clone banks to save special clones.

I agree @Heirloom I've heard about some clone banks and like guys that share back and forth.
I've contend that practicing breeding is fine and fun but ultimately my personal final goal would be to produce something fantastic but realistically I don't have the time or the resources to do so not to mention if I even have the skills in that department.

My thought in choosing seeds choosing as good of seeds I can find. (hard to depend on online reviews and such) I'd like to find clone for a good mother plant to continue to impress friends and maybe get some local notoriety among my peers but in the meantime produce as impresive
herb as I can.

Not to be redundant as I mentioned above that in air layering I'm able not to dismiss a possible candidate i.e. the aforementioned clone AKA the Thai pheno (for a lack of better term) it is denser, heavier and IMO faster growing than her seed sister, I also been forgetting to mention she is PURPLE!
(see below)

So if smoke quality is very good and equal or better than the other OG, I would concider it to add to my mother collection.

20170415_014825.jpg
20170415_014843-1.jpg
  • Heirloom likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!