79 replies to this topic

#1 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,473 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 April 2017 - 08:19 PM

Ive always been attracted to rocks and stones picking them up on walks with my Mom and Gandma showing them my shiney finds :)
Walking threw water falls on fishing trips all over Ontario where parts on the Canadian sheild stick up out of the ground hugs rocks can be seen and enjoyed all summer long.
I didnt really know all the gems and minerals that we have here in my own back yard I don't have to travel to the east or the west we have good stuff right here :)
I wanna get into looking for special stones maybe even gems and minerals if I get lucky I don't wanna get into selling my finds this is why I wanna post the spiritual side getting grounded in the dirt instead of flying inthe sky ;)

So here is a couple pictures taken in the summer of the huge rocks that can be seen out of the ground in my own back yard .....

gallery_121976_1062_310328.jpg

gallery_121976_1062_315352.jpg

gallery_121976_1062_210231.jpg

The last thing I want is to have these special places riped apart and thrown threw machienes just to get a handfull of stuff to sell.....special places like this are quiet and peacefull I don't wanna change that.
  • Arathu, Skywatcher and Juthro like this

#2 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 5,245 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 April 2017 - 11:10 PM

Some of my favorite, and most helpful crystals and stones, are those that either came to me unexpected while out walking, or those that I was actively looking for ,with intent and senses opened to recognise a specific helper. 

I also enjoy rockhounding for the fun. I am careful to always leave as little evidence of my activity as I can, and rarely find anything that is not happy to come home with me.

Just to be in the open spaces is an experience in grounding and reconnecting to Mother Earth if I let it be so. I also enjoy the many encounters, both spirit and animal, when I am out away from the noise, smells, and distractions of suburbia.

I love those massive exposed rock areas Wilde. I could just sit there, and reach deep into the living core. I imagine there are many very old energy vortexes in your area. Places the old natives, and sensitives such as yourself recognise when you are there....

I did find some Canadian Amazonite/ Feldspar yesterday at a new rock shop. The gentlemen who owns the store was quite knowledgeable, and the pieces he had looked very similar to the blue/green piece you were questioning. He showed me it has a hardness of about 6.5, and could be scratched with a knifeblade, It is also a cubic crystal form, so if broken it will show squareish angles. The coolest however was the Canadian feldspar will glow yellow in a blacklight, where the green/ blue color is.

• wildedibles likes this

#3 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,473 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 April 2017 - 11:36 PM

Thanks Skye :) I have a special light pen for this but its broken....if a black light works tho I have a black light bulb I will give that a try :) I can feel some areas here are very special vibes coming from deep within sometimes it feels like the rocks are holding you giving you a hug with thier energys and sometimes you feel nervous as if you could easily fall ....have to be careful playing around the river some places the water moves really fast ;) the next set of pictures will show the beauty of the river with the huge rocks too :)
  • Skywatcher likes this

#4 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• OG VIP
  • 9,869 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 April 2017 - 11:52 PM

I live in the land of basalt and sandstone.   There is some very white and opaque quartz seams here and there.  Much of the ground is volcanic tuff below the topsoils.  My back would never tolerate panning a creek.   I wouldn't expect to find much of interest, except maybe some interesting shaped pieces of basalt.  I did find a cow shark tooth near here one day, lying on the surface at the bottom of a big sandstone landslide. It had just washed out and I looked down and there it was.  There's a place where concretions with little crabs in their centers by the highway a few miles away, but the state has put up No Trespassing signs because the hounds were causing small rock slides that bounce up on the roadway.  

I guess the rocks don't say much to me that I can hear.   That's funny because I really used to love tramping the quarries and roadside ripraps looking for good pieces of basalt when I was a stone mason.  That's because our basalt won't cut with a rock hammer.  No matter how long you try to make a score line on both sides, when it finally breaks, it just shatters.   You have to find the pieces that naturally broke right to be good for mortar work.  Now you probably know partly why I have a bad back now.   I'd love to show you some pictures of my stonework, but my ex figured she should have all those photos.

Edited by Alder Logs, 03 April 2017 - 11:58 PM.

• Arathu, wildedibles and Skywatcher like this

#5 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,473 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 April 2017 - 12:05 AM

Thanks AlderLogs :) That kind of ork can be very beautiful. I love rock indoor walls bringing the outside in :) Too bad the rocks hurt your back ....I can't move around much rock now either but hubby loves to help me with rocks he has always been a fan of them too....He comes from Niagra area and said his Grandmother always found some tresures around but he has no idea what she did with them.

#6 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,473 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 April 2017 - 03:18 AM

Here is some spring pictures from the other day of some really large rocks ....same area as the last pictures :)

gallery_121976_1455_1460519.jpg

gallery_121976_1455_910326.jpg

gallery_121976_1455_839520.jpg

gallery_121976_1455_1686337.jpg

gallery_121976_1455_403180.jpg
  • Skywatcher likes this

#7 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,473 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 April 2017 - 03:29 AM

...and a few more ....:)

gallery_121976_1455_959313.jpg

gallery_121976_1455_852411.jpg

gallery_121976_1455_132722.jpg

gallery_121976_1455_113169.jpg

gallery_121976_1455_357674.jpg
this last one looks like a little peice of lime stone

Edited by wildedibles, 04 April 2017 - 03:33 AM.

• Skywatcher likes this

#8 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,473 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 April 2017 - 03:48 AM

A few more rocks :)

.....excuse the multiple posts sometimes with a long on it mess up putting it all together then you have to put another one together and well this is easier ;)........gallery_121976_1455_852482.jpg

gallery_121976_1455_1764338.jpg

gallery_121976_1455_624642.jpg

gallery_121976_1455_610714.jpg
  • Skywatcher likes this

#9 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,201 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 April 2017 - 05:00 PM

Great thread Wilde and Incredible photo's. I'll get some pictures of the rocks here this year. Some of them were carried here from there by glaciers. 

Alder if you want to hear the rocks it's a long process....they have an incredible amount of time on their hands so no need for humans in a hurry ....

IME it's best done camping out for a couple days on top of them and laying your head down right against them............then ask slowly and with great intent....and then just listen

A

Edited by Arathu, 04 April 2017 - 05:01 PM.

• wildedibles, Skywatcher and Alder Logs like this

#10 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 5,245 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 April 2017 - 05:55 PM

Love, love, love the big expanse's of flat basalt. The cubic fracture on some of the early photos is very visable. But this really caught my eye.........

In the 5th picture of the first batch you showed.

A perfect 6 sided fracture point, with a star formation at the center. I would be standing at centerpoint, listening to the story.....

post-126525-0-69759200-1491346464.jpg

Basalt.jpg

Edited by Skywatcher, 04 April 2017 - 05:57 PM.

• Arathu and wildedibles like this

#11 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,473 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 April 2017 - 06:18 PM

:) That spot is a fav of many people ......but I never noticed that point till you pointed it out....... I met someone when I first moved here she told me how the dam was at a diff spot and that roock used to be under water and they used to swim there :) we were standing at that spot when she told me..... I love hearing the storys even if its people telling them ;) the stones have thier ways

There is one spot Arathu that I really wanna camp on the moss is so thick making the rock feel nice and soft :) we cannot camp here but I think I need to take a nap there one day and just listen :) I see if I can repost that pic quick so you know which one Im talking about

post-121976-0-96720100-1491268491.jpg

Edited by wildedibles, 04 April 2017 - 06:21 PM.

• Skywatcher likes this

#12 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,201 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 April 2017 - 06:34 PM

I'm out of likes................hahahahaha

But that rock right there I would do exactly the same thing......it's a natural couch......

I'm going to go east into the mountains soon and I'll show you my spots..........

So many times I just don't want to come back................ :meditate:

A

• wildedibles and Skywatcher like this

#13 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,473 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 April 2017 - 07:12 PM

I hear ya :) .....that rock if I remember you could fit a few couches on it :) I wanna see some of your spots too .....I went shopping with my Mom today and driving on the highway I see the rock cuts in a new ligt now.....seeing quartz veins running threw the granite I think ....Mom told me she take me to the one spot she got a bunch of Quartz from a rock cut near her house :) She said I think its pink so it might be feldspar but its beautiful rock :)

Mom reminded me today when we went on walks with Grandma some times her sister came with us :) My great Aunt wasnt use to having little ones around and she had a potty mouth and a bad back so everytime she bend over to pick up a rock like we were doing shed say "oh shit" well being about 2 I cought on to that pretty quick but it sound more like "oh sit" :) ..... I always say some beautiful things can come outa shit :) LMAO

#14 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 5,245 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 April 2017 - 10:21 PM

These are a few of my local areas.

Right up the pass about 15 minutes from me, is the Vasquez Rocks, A large area of sedimentary rock, broken and wrenched upward by fault activity over millennia. The San Andreas Fault runs right through here, and has probably been what created the mountains behind me. The energy here is very interesting. However only 20 minutes to the SE from here, is an area I do not go. I am very uncomfortable, and always think, "really bad", earthquake, not safe..............

Lots of interesting deposits through this rock....

Vasquez Rocks

Vasquez rocks 1.jpg  Vasquez Rocks 2.jpg

Vasquez Rocks 3.jpg  Vasquez Rocks and sky.jpg

A good view of the folded rock on the fault

san andreas fault fold palmdales.jpg

Right behind me is the Etiwanda Preserve, and the trail goes up into the mountains to a series of waterfalls, which were excellent this year with the rains. The rock here is metamorphic, lots of granites, quartz, marble. Not rich in metals. 

Working up the trail, the lower creek and falls are shorter. The big falls are about 30 minutes walk up to the base of the high peaks. Really good vibes, everywhere except at the upper falls.

Lower creek

creek from saphire falls.jpg  middle canyon, lower pools.jpg

First falls

Lower Etiwanda Preserve.jpg  sturtevant-fallslower Cucamonga.jpg

Upper falls

Bonita_Falls.jpg  lower falls etiwanda preserve.jpg

And lastly the top pools and falls.

Sapphire falls is unfortunately a popular local destination, and although you may not see anyone all the way hiking in, in summer there will usually be people partying up there, which would not be bad, except that they seem to feel it is OK to cover the beautiful water hollowed rock with multicolored graffiti. This gives me pain, so I don't usually go all the way to the top falls anymore............

saphire falls pool.jpg  saphire falls top pool.jpg

Edited by Skywatcher, 04 April 2017 - 10:25 PM.

• dead_diver, Arathu and wildedibles like this

#15 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• OG VIP
  • 9,869 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 April 2017 - 11:59 PM

Well, Skye, I sure had the wrong idea about your locale.  I somehow got the idea you were near the eastern border of the southern part of the state.

#16 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,473 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 April 2017 - 02:38 AM

WOW! Beautiful Skye :) Thanks for sharing

Ya that last picture looks like a skate park .....the paint will wear off :) One day the rock will shine again

When were you in Ontario? LOL
post-126525-0-68771200-1491361429.jpg

post-126525-0-31894300-1491361439.jpg
Some of thoes places look nothing like were I am but thoes ones look like you were in my back yard :)

I see a face in this one neat :)
post-126525-0-53848100-1491361464.jpg
  • Skywatcher likes this

#17 dead_diver

dead_diver

Stoned Since '76

• OG VIP
  • 3,496 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 April 2017 - 04:33 AM

@skywatcher
I used to go to the Vasquez Rocks quite often with my parents when I was a kid. It's a really cool place for rock formations. There have been a ton of movies filmed there. The most famous scene filmed there is probably the fight between Capt Kirk and the Gorn. It is also rumored that Charlie and the Manson family used to hang out there.
Later this year I'm visiting Oxnard and will make a long overdue trip to the Rocks.

#18 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,473 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 April 2017 - 05:24 AM

@skywatcher
I used to go to the Vasquez Rocks quite often with my parents when I was a kid. It's a really cool place for rock formations. There have been a ton of movies filmed there. The most famous scene filmed there is probably the fight between Capt Kirk and the Gorn. It is also rumored that Charlie and the Manson family used to hang out there.
Later this year I'm visiting Oxnard and will make a long overdue trip to the Rocks.

Can you tke pictures and share with us please? :) I love seeing the folding of the rocks and the flat one that looks like its broken off and sticking up they look really cool I would love to see more from that side of the contenent....

#19 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 5,245 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 April 2017 - 09:45 AM

Well, Skye, I sure had the wrong idea about your locale.  I somehow got the idea you were near the eastern border of the southern part of the state.

I know how you got that Alder.

I live in Etiwanda, on the far north edge where the mountains are behind me.I like to be on the edge. Far enough out that there is a natural unmolested by man, backyard so to speak, but close enough that I can get to doctors or stores as needed.

I also however have a place on the Colorado River,  north of Blythe that my family owns, and spend some time there as well.

When were you in Ontario? LOL

I live 10 minutes from Ontario, it's just not the one in Canada........................................ :tongue:

Obviously from this post, I no longer care about people knowing where I am.........

Edited by Skywatcher, 05 April 2017 - 09:46 AM.

• wildedibles and Juthro like this

#20 dead_diver

dead_diver

Stoned Since '76

• OG VIP
  • 3,496 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 April 2017 - 01:21 PM

There is another cool rock formation in SoCal but I can't remember exactly where or the name. It hadca name like Devil's garden or Devil's playground.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!